Adak Army Base and Adak Naval Operating Base
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from NavFac Adak)
Adak Army Base and Adak Naval Operating Station
U.S. invasion fleet gathers in Adak Harbor for assault on Kiska in August, 1943.
|Location||Adak Station, Alaska|
|Governing body||United States Navy|
|NRHP Reference #||87000841|
|Added to NRHP||February 27, 1987|
|Designated NHL||February 27, 1987|
Adak Army Base and Adak Naval Operating Base on Adak Island is significant for having served as a staging area for the American assaults, during World War II, on Japanese-held Aleutian Islands of Kiska and Attu.
Only ruins of the bases survive today.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2007-01-23.
- "Adak Army Base and Adak Naval Operating Base". National Historic Landmark summary listing. National Park Service. 2007-09-27.
- Erwin N. Thompson (March 16, 1984) National Register of Historic Places Inventory-Nomination: Adak Army Base and Adak Naval Operating Base, National Park Service and Accompanying 14 photos, from 1943, 1983, and 1985-1986.
- Adak Army and Naval Operations Base, Adak Island, Aleutians at Alaska Regional Office, National Park Service.
- Public Health Assessment: NAVAL AIR FACILITY, ADAK (a/k/a ADAK NAVAL AIR STATION) ADAK, ALEUTIAN ISLANDS CENSUS, ALASKA
- Adak Memoirs Memoirs and photos of Adak wanted to preserve history, Dec 2011]
|This article about a location in the Aleutians West Census Area, Alaska is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a property in Alaska on the National Register of Historic Places is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|