|This article does not cite any references or sources. (April 2013)|
Navagraha (Pron: nævəˈgrɑ:ə) temples are temples devoted to Navagraha - the nine (nava) major celestial bodies (Grahas) of Hindu astronomy. These celestial bodies are named Surya (Sun), Chandra (Moon), Mangala (Mars), Budha (Mercury), Brihaspati (Jupiter), Shukra (Venus), Shani (Saturn), Rahu (North Lunar Node) and Ketu (South Lunar Node). Many temples in South India contain a shrine dedicated to the Navagrahas. However, the term Navagraha temples refers to a cluster of nine separate temples, each an abode of one of the Navagrahas.
The Navagraha Temple is found on the top of Chitrasal Hill (or Navagraha Hill), in Guwahati city, Assam, India. Enshrined in this temple are nine Shivalingams, representing the nine Celestial bodies, each covered with a colored garment symbolic of each of the celestial bodies, with a Shivaligam in the centre symbolising the Sun. The Navagraha temple was built by Ahom King Rajeswar Singha in the late 18th century. It has been renovated in recent times during the late 1923-45.
In Kasba Peth (central Pune), there is a major Navagraha temple behind Shaniwar Wada, which is also specifically devoted to Shani. There is also a Navagraha Maruti temple in Balaji Nagar. There is a newly constructed Navagraha temple near Dapoli in Ratnagiri district, Maharashtra. The temple complex is 5 km from Dapoli town on the Dapoli - Mandangad - Mumbai state highway.Go to Kherdi village titha ( junction ) and then take the small tar road to Palavan village. The temple complex is at a distance of 1.5 km from Kherdi junction.It is owned by Shri Sainath Maharaj Trust,Dombivli( E ), Thane.The main temple belongs to Sai Baba and there are surrounding temples of Ganapathi , Shivji, Navagraha temple and Sri Dattatreya temple. Temple complex is very clean and beautifully maintained.
A historical Navagraha temple is established inside the Bada Ganpati Temple just behind Makaleshwar Temple towards Harsidhhi temple in City of Ujjain in Madhya Pradesh. It is believed that it is their since hundreds of years and people are getting blessing and relief when priya their specially during their Shani -Ssde sati period which is supposed to be the most dreaded phase in one's lifetime.
Devotees have to pray while doing Parikrama of Navagraha stones and present flowers /bilva patra while performing pooja.jits a famous mandir
There is a cluster of Navagraha Temples dating from the Chola dynasty near Kumbakonam in Tamil Nadu. Each temple is located in a different village, and is considered an abode of one of the Navagrahas. However, the majority of these temples are dedicated to Shiva. The Surya temple is the only one dedicated to the Graham. In fact, it is dedicated entirely to the worship of the Sun-God and the other navagrahas, the former being the object of worship as the principal deity and the latter as attendant deities. It was built around the 11th or 12th century C.E. The other temples were built earlier, ranging back to 7th-9th century.
- Surya Navagrahastalam -- Sooriyanar Kovil
- Chandra Navagrahastalam -- Thingaloor
- Angaarakan Navagrahastalam -- Vaitheeswaran Kovil
- Budha Navagrahastalam -- Thiruvenkadu
- Guru Navagrahastalam -- Alangudi
- Sukra Navagrahastalam -- Kanjanur
- Shani Navagrahastalam -- Thirunallar
- Raahu Navagrahastalam -- Thirunageswaram
- Ketu Navagrahastalam -- Keezhperumpallam
There is a similar cluster of Navagraha temples in Chennai, erstwhile Thondai Nadu in and around Kundrathur.
- Agatheeswarar Temple - Surya - Kolapakkkam
- Somanaadheeswarar Temple - Chandran - Somamangalam
- Vaidheeswarar Temple - Angaragan - Poonamallee
- Sundereswarar Temple - Budhan - Kovur
- Ramanaadheeswarar Temple - Guru - Porur
- Valeeswarar Temple - Sukran - Mangadu
- Agatheeswarar Temple - Shaneeswaran - Pozhichalur
- Neelakandeeswarar Temple - Kethu - Gerugambakkam
- Nageshwarar Temple - Rahu - Kundrathur
- Navagraha Temple - Allahabad
Navagraha Temple at Allahabad in Uttar Pradesh-India has been built by Shri Patharchatti Ram Lila Committee in Allahabad. It was opened for public in 2012. It is located in Rambagh area in Allahabad. It can be reached within two minutes from the City Railway Station at Rambagh in Allahabad.
There are other temples as well in it as below-
- Shri Khatu Shyam Temple
- Shri Ram Temple
Nowadays, a very special Jhaanki of Ganga Avataran is under construction and is expected to complete by Nov 2012.
- Various Navagraha Temples
- Navagraha Temples in Assam
- Navagraha Temples in Tamil Nadu
- Navagraha Temple Phone numbers and Contact Informations in Tamil Nadu
- Navagraha Temple on Google Maps - Virtual Darshan of Navagraha Sthalam