Naval Station Newport
|Naval Station Newport|
|Newport / Middletown, Rhode Island, USA|
|NAVSTA Newport Insignia|
|Controlled by||United States Navy|
|In use||1883 - present|
|Captain Douglas W. Mikatarian|
The Naval Station Newport (NAVSTA Newport) is a United States Navy base located in the city of Newport and the town of Middletown, Rhode Island. Naval Station Newport is home to the Naval War College and the Naval Justice School. It once was the homeport for Cruiser Destroyer Force Atlantic (COMCRUDESLANT), and now maintains inactive ships at its pier facilities, along with the United States Coast Guard. In BRAC 2005 (Base Realignment and Closure), NAVSTA Newport gained over five hundred billets, in addition to receiving, again, the Officer Candidate School (OCS), the Naval Supply Corps School (in 2011), and several other activities. COMCRUDESLANT relocated to Naval Station Norfolk in the early 1970s.
Naval Station Newport provides the facilities and infrastructure essential to support the operations of tenant commands and visiting fleet units.
The station is home of the decommissioned USS Saratoga after the departure of the USS Forrestal which departed under tow for the inactive ship storage facility in Philadelphia (USS_Forrestal_(CV-59)#Decommissioning_and_fate).
The fate of the Saratoga has not yet been decided, although it has been requested as a museum ship for nearby North Kingstown. The Saratoga is clearly visible from the Newport Bridge (look to the Northeast of the bridge) & just North of Coddington Highway, just off-base along the Middletown-Newport border.
- Explosive Ordnance Disposal Mobile Unit 2, Detachment
- Coastal Riverine Squadron 8
- 7th Naval Construction Regiment
- Naval Mobile Construction Battalion 27 Det 1627
- Naval Undersea Warfare Center
- Naval Academy Preparatory School
- Naval Justice School
- Navy Supply Corps School
- Naval War College
- Officer Candidate School (OCS)
- Officer Development School (ODS)
- Direct Commission Officer Indoctrination Course (DCO)
- Senior Enlisted Academy
- Surface Warfare Officers School 
- NAVFAC Mid-Atlantic Public Works Department Newport
- Navy Operational Support Center Newport
- Marine Corps
- Coast Guard
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
- See: Navy Supply Corps (United States)#Navy Supply Corps School.
- "Navy Newport History". Newport Navalog July 2008. Retrieved 11 December 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Naval Station Newport.|