Naveen Andrews signing autographs (2009)
|Born||Naveen William Sidney Andrews
17 January 1969
Lambeth, London, England, United Kingdom
Naveen William Sidney Andrews (born 17 January 1969) is a British actor. He is best known for portraying Sayid Jarrah in the television series Lost, Kip in the film The English Patient and Sanjay in the 2002 remake of Rollerball. For his role on Lost, Andrews was nominated for a Golden Globe in 2006, a Primetime Emmy Award in 2005 and received the Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series in 2006.
Andrews was born in Lambeth, London, the son of Nirmala, a psychologist, and Stanley Andrews, a businessman, both Malayali Nasrani immigrants from Kerala, India. He was brought up in Wandsworth, South London, and had what he has described as a "very repressive" upbringing. Andrews was brought up in the Methodist denomination. At the age of 16, while at Emanuel School, he fell in love with his mathematics teacher, Geraldine Feakins; seven years later they had a son, Jaisal, born in 1992.
Andrews auditioned for drama school and was accepted at London's Guildhall School of Music and Drama with Ewan McGregor and David Thewlis. His studies paid off when he won a role in Hanif Kureshi's film, London Kills Me (1991). Andrews starred in the 1993 BBC miniseries Buddha of Suburbia. He portrayed Kip in The English Patient (1996) and Sayid in the popular television series Lost (2004). In 2006, he was voted one of People magazine's World's Most Beautiful People. He also starred in Kama Sutra: A Tale of Love (1996), Mighty Joe Young (1998) and Bride and Prejudice (2004). He is currently starring as Jafar in the American fantasy drama Once Upon a Time in Wonderland, a spin off from Once Upon a Time.
Andrews was in a relationship with Geraldine Feakins from 1985 to 1991. He was later in a relationship with actress Barbara Hershey starting in 1999; they lived together in Los Angeles. The couple separated briefly in 2005 and, during that time, Andrews had a son, Naveen Joshua, with Czech-French actress Elena Eustache. He and Hershey later reconciled. However, he and Hershey announced in May 2010 that they had separated six months earlier. He has been involved in an ongoing custody dispute with Eustache over their son; on 7 January 2009 Andrews was granted sole legal and physical custody of the child.
- London Kills Me (1991) as Bike
- Wild West (1992) as Zaf
- Double Vision (1992) as Jimmy
- The Buddha of Suburbia (1993 TV mini-series) as Karim Amir
- The Peacock Spring (1996) as Ravi Battacharya
- Kama Sutra: A Tale of Love (1996) as Raj Singh
- The English Patient (1996) as Kip
- True Love and Chaos (1997) as Hanif
- My Own Country (1998) as Dr. Abraham Verghese
- Bombay Boys (1998) as Krishna
- Mighty Joe Young (1998) as Pindi
- Drowning on Dry Land (1999) as Darshan
- A Question of Faith (2000) as William
- The Chippendales Murder (2000) as Steve Banerjee
- The Beast as Tamir Naipaul (1 episode, 2001)
- Rollerball (2002) as Sanjay
- Future Tense (2003) as Miles Gupta
- Easy (2003) as John Kalicharan
- Bride & Prejudice (2004) as Balraj
- The Ten Commandments (2006) as Menerith
- Provoked: A True Story (2006) as Deepak Ahluwalia
- Grindhouse (2007) as Abby (segment "Planet Terror")
- The Brave One (2007) as David Kirmani
- Animals (2008/I) as Vic
- Law & Order: Special Victims Unit as Detective Ash Ramsey ("Shadow", 2010)
- Lost as Sayid Jarrah (114 episodes, 2004–10)
- Rise of an Exile as Atticus Benedict (2012)
- Sinbad (UK TV series) as Lord Akbari (2012)
- Creature of the Black Lagoon as Doctor David Raya (2012)
- Diana as Doctor Hasnat Khan (2013)
- Once Upon a Time in Wonderland as Jafar (2013)
- Lampert, Nicole. How Lost star was found in bed with his married teacher, Daily Mail, 13 August 2005. Accessed 27 May 2008.
- Elsworth, Catherine. 'I'm so grateful I'm sober now', Daily Telegraph, 30 August 2005. Accessed 27 May 2008.
- CTV.ca | Naveen Andrews finds himself in L.A
- Naveen Andrews - Biography
- "2006's Most Beautiful People: Naveen Andrews". People. 26 April 2006. Retrieved 24 December 2009.
- ‘Lost’ star fathered child while separated - Celebrities - MSNBC.com
- Lost's Naveen Andrews Found in Splitsville - E! Online
- "Naveen Andrews Split - Lost Actor Announces Break Up with Barbara Hershey". National Ledger. 30 May 2010. Retrieved 3 June 2010.
- "Lost" Star Battles Baby Mama and Gets Kid. TMZ, 7 January 2009. Retrieved 2009-07-23.
- Hilton, Beth. 'Lost' star reveals heroin addiction, Digital Spy, 1 February 2008. Accessed 27 May 2008.
- The Trades - Interview: Naveen Andrews
- "Naveen Andrews al RFF: Sayid presenta il finale di Lost". Movieplayer (in Italian). 7 July 2010. Retrieved 28 June 2011. "...dal 27 maggio sono diventato cittadino americano... (On May 27 I became an American citizen)"