Naveen Andrews signing autographs (2009)
|Born||Naveen William Sidney Andrews
17 January 1969
Lambeth, London, England, UK
(1985–91); 1 child
Elena Eustache (2005-06); 1 child
Naveen William Sidney Andrews (born 17 January 1969) is a British actor. He is best known for portraying Sayid Jarrah in the television series Lost, Kip in the film The English Patient and Sanjay in the 2002 remake of Rollerball. For his role on Lost, Andrews was nominated for a Golden Globe in 2006, a Primetime Emmy Award in 2005 and received the Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series in 2006.
Andrews was born in Lambeth, London to Nirmala, a psychologist, and Stanley Andrews, a businessman, both Malayali Nasrani immigrants from Kerala, India. He was brought up in Wandsworth in the Methodist denomination in what he later described as a "very repressive" upbringing. At the age of 16, while at Emanuel School, he fell in love with his mathematics teacher, Geraldine Feakins; seven years later they had a son, Jaisal (born 1992).
Andrews auditioned for drama school and was accepted at London's Guildhall School of Music and Drama with Ewan McGregor and David Thewlis. His studies paid off when he won a role in Hanif Kureshi's film, London Kills Me (1991). Andrews starred in the 1993 BBC miniseries Buddha of Suburbia. He portrayed "Kip" in The English Patient (1996) and Sayid in the popular television series Lost (2004). In 2006, he was voted one of People magazine's World's Most Beautiful People. He starred in Kama Sutra: A Tale of Love (1996), Mighty Joe Young (1998) and Bride and Prejudice (2004). He is currently starring as Jafar in the American fantasy drama Once Upon a Time in Wonderland.
Andrews was in a relationship with schoolteacher Geraldine Feakins from 1985–91. He was later in a relationship with actress Barbara Hershey in Los Angeles, starting in 1999. The couple separated briefly in 2005 and, during that time, Andrews had a son with Czech-French actress Elena Eustache. He and Hershey later reconciled. However, he and Hershey announced in May 2010 that they had separated six months earlier. He has been involved in an ongoing custody dispute with Eustache over their son; on 7 January 2009 Andrews was granted sole legal and physical custody of the child.
|1991||London Kills Me||Bike|
|1996||The Peacock Spring||Ravi Battacharya|
|1996||Kama Sutra: A Tale of Love||Raj Singh|
|1996||The English Patient||Kip|
|1997||True Love and Chaos||Hanif|
|1998||My Own Country||Dr. Abraham Verghese|
|1998||Mighty Joe Young||Pindi|
|1999||Drowning on Dry Land||Darshan|
|2000||A Question of Faith||William|
|2000||The Chippendales Murder||Steve Banerjee|
|2004||Bride & Prejudice||Balraj|
|2006||Provoked: A True Story||Deepak Ahluwalia|
|2007||Grindhouse||Abby||(Segment "Planet Terror")|
|2007||The Brave One||David Kirmani|
|2012||Creature of the Black Lagoon||Dr. David Raya|
|2013||Diana||Dr. Hasnat Khan|
|1993||The Buddha of Suburbia||Karim Amir||TV mini-series|
|2001||The Beast||Tamir Naipaul||1 episode|
|2003||Future Tense||Miles Gupta|
|2004–10||Lost||Sayid Jarrah||114 episodes|
|2006||The Ten Commandments||Menerith|
|2010||Law & Order: Special Victims Unit||Detective Ash Ramsey||"Shadow"|
|2012||Rise of an Exile||Atticus Benedict|
|2012||Sinbad (UK TV series)||Lord Akbari|
|2013-2014||Once Upon a Time in Wonderland||Jafar|
- Lampert, Nicole. "How Lost star was found in bed with his married teacher", Daily Mail, 13 August 2005; accessed 27 May 2008.
- Elsworth, Catherine. "I'm so grateful I'm sober now", Daily Telegraph, 30 August 2005; accessed 27 May 2008.
- "Naveen Andrews finds himself in L.A", CTV.ca; 10 April 2006.
- Naveen Andrews profile, imdb.com; accessed 7 March 2014.
- "2006's Most Beautiful People: Naveen Andrews". People. 26 April 2006. Retrieved 24 December 2009.
- "'Lost' star fathered child while separated", msnbc.com; accessed 7 March 2014.
- Lost's Naveen Andrews Found in Splitsville, E! Online; accessed 7 March 2014.
- "Naveen Andrews Split - Lost Actor Announces Break Up with Barbara Hershey". National Ledger. 30 May 2010. Retrieved 3 June 2010.
- "'Lost' Star Battles Baby Mama and Gets Kid", TMZ, 7 January 2009; retrieved 23 July 2009.
- Hilton, Beth. 'Lost' star reveals heroin addiction, Digital Spy, 1 February 2008; accessed 27 May 2008.
- The Trades - Interview: Naveen Andrews
- "Naveen Andrews al RFF: Sayid presenta il finale di Lost". Movieplayer (in Italian). 7 July 2010. Retrieved 28 June 2011. "...dal 27 maggio sono diventato cittadino americano...)"