||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2012)|
Naveen Selvadurai in 2011.
January 27, 1982 |
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
|Known for||Co-founder of Foursquare|
He was born on the 27th of January 1982 in Chennai, India, to Kuppuswamy Selvadurai and Latha Selvadurai . He was the first child and has a younger sister Chindhuri Selvadurai.
Naveen graduated in 4 years from Worcester Polytechnic Institute with a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science and a Master of Science in Computer Science in Worcester, MA. He went on to work with Lucent, Sony, Nokia and Sun Microsystems before he started his mobile social-networking venture Foursquare, along with Dennis Crowley. He has been listed in the 'World's New Young Millionaires' released by AOL Small Business. 
Selvadurai co-founded Foursquare in 2009 with Dennis Crowley. It is a location-based social networking website for mobile devices, such as smartphones. Users "check in" at venues using a mobile website, text messaging or a device-specific application by selecting from a list of venues the application locates nearby. Location is based on GPS hardware in the mobile device or network location provided by the application, and the map is based on data from the OpenStreetMap project. Each check-in awards the user points and sometimes "badges". The user who checks in the most often to a venue becomes the "mayor," and users regularly vie for "mayorships."
On March 4, 2012, Naveen announced on his blog that he will step down from his day-to-day operational role at the company later that month. He said he will continue to serve as a board member and adviser to the company.
Foursquare co-founder Naveen Selvadurai is joining the Expa startup studio, founded in May 2013 by former Uber and StumbleUpon founder Garrett Camp. Selvadurai joins Expa as a partner focused on New York operations for the organization, which is not to be confused with your standard accelerator, incubator, or investment firm. 
- "Naveen Selvadurai - Co-founder of foursquare". Whoandwhom.com. Retrieved 2012-08-07.
- "Indian American: Entrepreneurs Are Big Hits Online » SPAN November/December 2010". Span.state.gov. Retrieved 2012-08-07.
- "5 Inspirational Young Internet Entrepreneurs". The Jakarta Globe. 2012-02-23. Retrieved 2012-08-07.
- "Business Success Story / Naveen Selvadurai". Boompedia.com. Retrieved 2012-08-07.
- Williams, Geoff (May 27, 2010). "Meet the New Young Millionaires". AOL Small Business.
- Kincaid, Jason. "SXSW: Foursquare Scores Despite Its Flaws". The Washington Post. Retrieved 25 January 2014.
- Shontell, Alyson (March 6, 2012). "Co-Founder Naveen Selvadurai 'Tried To Fight' His Departure From Foursquare". Business Insider.
- Emerson, Ramona (March 4, 2012). "Naveen Selvadurai, Foursquare Co-Founder, Is Leaving The Company". Huffington Post.
- "Meet the New Young Millionaires". AOL Small Business.
- "About us". foursquare.com.
- "Naveen Selvadurai". linkedin.com.
|This article about an American businessperson born in the 1980s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|