|Headquarters||Andover, Massachusetts, U.S.|
|Andrew Ruhan - Chairman,
R. Brooks Borcherding
(President & CEO)
Managed application services
Managed messaging services
Number of employees
|Subsidiaries||America's Job Exchange
NaviSite, a Time Warner Cable Company, is a provider of hosting, application management and managed cloud services for enterprises, founded in 1997. NaviSite provides application services, enterprise hosting, and managed cloud services for outsourcing IT infrastructure. The company is headquartered in Andover, Massachusetts and has its sales offices, network operating centers, and 10 data centers in the US, UK, and India.
The company has partnered with Microsoft, Intel, and Sun Microsystems. Their managed services include hosting and management of computing infrastructure, full lifecycle management for various business application suites including Oracle, Microsoft Dynamics, PeopleSoft, Lawson, and Kronos, and hosted email and collaboration services for Microsoft Exchange and Lotus Domino platforms. Their managed hosting services are based on multiple delivery models including cloud computing, platform as a service (PaaS), virtualization, and colocation.
NaviSite was founded in 1996, as a subsidiary of CMGI Inc, with a purpose to host CMGI’s websites, its subsidiaries and affiliated companies. CMGI was NaviSite’s former majority stockholder with a 69% stake in the company.
In 1997, the company started providing web hosting and management services to companies that were not affiliated with CMGI. The domain NaviSite.com was registered in 1997, and the company was incorporated as NaviSite Inc. in Delaware on 22 October 1998. In January 1999, NaviSite expanded its presence in Europe with the set-up of its first European Data Center which was further the result of the company’s agreement with Planet Online Limited in Leeds, UK. The expansion helped NaviSite to cater to European hosting marketplace.
In 1999, NaviSite completed its initial public offering of common stock and remained a majority owned subsidiary of CMGI until September 2002. NaviSite’s share price rose to nearly $165 in June 2000 before significantly decreasing in 2001.
In 2000, new offices were opened in the area known as "Silicon Hills" in Austin, Texas.
In 2001, the company's sales from regional web integrators began decreasing and the company lost 18 potential dot.com customers. CMGI invested $50 million into the company and committed $80 million for its debt financing. The same year, NaviSite entered into a new sales and equipment alliance with Compaq Computer Corporation. Under the agreement, Compaq agreed to promote and sell NaviSite Web hosting services, and NaviSite chose Compaq as a preferred partner for its storage and Intel based servers. The alliance pushed NaviSite’s stock up in early trading.
In 2002, ClearBlue Technologies, Inc. replaced CMGI as NaviSite’s majority stockholder. On August 8, 2003, NaviSite acquired all the issued and outstanding shares of six wholly owned subsidiaries of ClearBlue Technologies Management, Inc., which previously had acquired assets from the bankrupt estate of AppliedTheory Corporation. This acquisition enabled NaviSite to augment its existing solutions portfolio with application management and development services.
For the fiscal year ending 31 July 2008, NaviSite generated net revenue of US$154.6 million, representing a 22% increase over revenue of $126.2 million in fiscal year 2007.
NaviSite has completed a SAS 70 Type II (Statement on Auditing Standards No. 70) Audit for its Andover, MA and San Jose, California data centers, and is the Microsoft Gold Certified Partner, and Oracle Certified Advantage Partner. The company is also a member of PCI Security Council.
NaviSite provides enterprise hosting and application services for small-to-medium-sized businesses and large enterprises. NaviSite’s product list consists of:
Enterprise Hosting Services
- Managed Hosting Services: Dedicated Hosting, Shared Hosting, and Complex hosting
- Cloud computing
- Server Virtualization
- Software as a Service (SaaS) Enablement Services
- Content Delivery and Acceleration Services
- Application Management, Implementation and Consulting (ERP/CRM/BI/BPR) for Oracle E-Business, Microsoft Dynamics, JD Edwards, Lawson, Siebel, Hyperion, PeopleSoft, and Kronos
- Email Hosting and Collaboration (IBM Lotus Domino / Microsoft Exchange)
- Custom Application Development and Implementation
- Software QA and Testing
Acquisitions and subsidiaries
NaviSite has acquired companies during its corporate history. The following is a list of NaviSite acquisitions.
- NaviSite acquired the entire equity stake of ClearBlue Technologies Management, a provider of managed services and professional services, in exchange for 8,519,676 shares of NaviSite common stock, which was approximately 4.5% of NaviSite’s outstanding shares.
- Avasta, Inc., a leading provider of Managed Application services and the creator of application operations technology known as the Avasta Application Management Suite, was acquired by NaviSite through the merger of a NaviSite’s wholly owned subsidiary into Avasta.
- NaviSite acquired Conxion Corporation, a California based company dealing in "Internet infrastructure services"[clarification needed] in April 2003.
- In May 2003, Interliant, Inc., a provider of "managed infrastructure solutions",[clarification needed] sold all of its assets to NaviSite Inc, boosting NaviSite’s managed messaging solution.
- NaviSite acquired all the assets and liabilities of Surebridge, the leading application management provider with on-demand solutions for mid-market companies. Surebridge brought specific expertise in Microsoft Business Solutions, PeopleSoft, and Siebel applications and added considerable depth to NaviSite’s Application Outsourcing and Professional Services portfolio.
- NaviSite acquired netASPx, a leading provider of applications management services with a focus on Lawson Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP), Kronos Workforce Management and Business Intelligence Applications, including its 18,000-square-foot (1,700 m2) data center in Minneapolis for $40.5 million.
- On August 10, 2007, NaviSite purchased all the assets of Baltimore, MD based Alabanza Corporation. Alabanza LLC and Hosting Ventures, a leading provider of comprehensive suite of dedicated and shared web hosting service for small and medium businesses.
- Incorporated in April 2003, California-based Jupiter Hosting was acquired by NaviSite in 2007. Jupiter Hosting provides dedicated and complex managed hosting and infrastructure services.
- America's Job Bank, a leading job search and recruitment website funded by Department of Labour, which was developed by Applied Theory Corporation (now a part of NaviSite) and supported by NaviSite Inc, was acquired by NaviSite after the Department of Labor announced plans to shut down the website. The website has been re-launched by NaviSite as America’s Job Exchange and currently operates as a wholly owned subsidiary of NaviSite.com.
Awards and recognition
NaviSite has been recognized with a number of awards from 1997 to 2009, including:
2015: NaviSite was named Global VMware Partner Network Award winner.
2014: NaviSite was awarded as Data Centre Hosting/co-location supplier of the year at the DCS Awards.
2014: NaviSite won Cloud Company of the year at the SVC Awards.
2009: NaviSite collected the Editors' Choice Award for its Dedicated Hosting Solutions.
2008: NaviSite was ranked as top application services provider for the healthcare industry by KLAS, the market intelligence firm that identifies the best IT service providers for the healthcare industry.
2007: MassNetComms honored NaviSite with the Best Performance in Public Markets Award.
2006: HostReview recognized NaviSite with the Best Managed Hosting Service Award.
2001: NaviSite was chosen as the Best Hosts in the Managed Services category by Web Hosting Magazine.
- "About NaviSite". Retrieved 2009-01-14.
- "Company Profile". Retrieved 2009-01-14.
- "A competitive analysis of market for Hosted Microsoft Exchange Services". Retrieved 2009-01-14.
- "NaviSite Unveils AppStructure, Its Next-Generation cloud computing Platform". Reuters. 2008-09-18. Retrieved 2009-01-14.
- "ConnectEDU Selects NaviSite's AppStructure-Based Virtualized Hosting Services". Reuters. 2008-09-18. Retrieved 2009-01-14.
- "Leading Indicator Systems Selects NaviSite". Retrieved 2009-01-14.
- "CMGI As A Former Stockholder in NaviSite". Retrieved 2009-06-25.
- "NaviSite Enters The Market As A Web Hosting And Management Services Provider". Retrieved 2009-06-25.
- "NaviSite Corporate History". Retrieved 2009-06-25.
- "NaviSite Completes Its Initial Public Offering of Common Stock". Retrieved 2009-06-25.
- "NaviSite Partners With Compaq". Retrieved 2009-06-25.
- "ClearBlue Technologies, Inc. Replaces CMGI As Navisite’s Majority Stockholder". Retrieved 2009-06-25.
- "NaviSite completes Acquisitions of Certain Assets of ClearBlue Technologies". Retrieved 2009-06-25.
- "NaviSite Stock And Asset Acquisition Agreement". Retrieved 2009-06-25.
- "NaviSite’s Profit for Fiscal Year 2008". Retrieved 2009-01-14.
- "NaviSite Completes the Fifth Annual SAS 70 Type II Audit". Retrieved 2009-01-14.
- "NaviSite attains Microsoft Gold Certified Partner". Retrieved 2009-01-14.
- "NaviSite Achieves Oracle Certified Advantage Partner Status". Retrieved 2009-01-14.
- "NaviSite Joins PCI Security Council". Retrieved 2013-02-05.
- NetworkWorld TimeWarner snaps up NaviSite for $230M, 2 Februari, 2011. Visited 3 April 2012
- "NaviSite Acquires ClearBlue Technologies Management". Retrieved 2009-06-29.
- "NaviSite Inc. Completes Acquisition of Avasta Inc.". Business Wire. 2003-02-06. Retrieved 2009-06-29.
- "About Conxion Corporation". Retrieved 2009-06-29.
- "NaviSite Completes Acquisition of Interliant Inc.". Retrieved 2009-06-29.
- "NaviSite, Inc. Acquires Surebridge". Retrieved 2009-06-29.
- "NaviSite Nabs netASPx for $40M". Retrieved 2009-06-29.
- "About Alabanza Corporation". Retrieved 2009-06-29.
- "NaviSite Acquires Alabanza And Jupiter Hosting". Retrieved 2009-06-29.
- "About AmericasJobExchange.com". Retrieved 2009-06-29.
- "NaviSite named Global VWware Partner winner". NaviSite. 2015-01-02. Retrieved 2015-01-01.
- "NaviSite Wins at DCS Awards". NaviSite. 2014-08-20. Retrieved 2014-06-29.
- "NaviSite wins Cloud Company of the year at SVC Awards". NaviSite. 2014-08-20. Retrieved 2016-09-29.
- "NaviSite Bags Award For Its Dedicated Hosting Solutions". Retrieved 2009-06-29.
- "NaviSite Tops Healthcare Application Solutions Provider List". Retrieved 2009-06-29.
- "MassNetComms honors NaviSite with the Best Performance in Public Markets Award". Retrieved 2009-06-29.
- "NaviSite Corporate Overview". Retrieved 2009-06-29.
- "About NaviSite’s Corporate". Retrieved 2009-06-29.
- "About NaviSite Solutions". Retrieved 2009-06-29.
- "The Boston Business Journal Chooses NaviSite As the Area’s Fastest Growing Company". Retrieved 2009-06-29.
- "NaviSite Wins Web Hosting Magazine's 'Best Hosts' Award". Business Wire. 2001-08-20. Retrieved 2009-06-29.