|Founded||Washington, D.C. (2002)|
|Founder(s)||Stephen M. Smith
|Headquarters||Arlington, Virginia, U.S.|
|Key people||Stephen M. Smith (president)
Shaun Fanning (executive vice president)
Software as a service
School counseling tools
Naviance is an American college and career readiness software provider that partners with high schools and other K–12 institutions to provide students with college planning and career assessment tools. The company reports that its "student success solutions" reach more than 300,000 educators and 4.5 million students at nearly 5,500 schools in 84 countries.
Naviance's scattergrams show the acceptance history of students within a particular high school at a specific college or university using the historical average GPAs and test scores from the high school. A Naviance scattergram is a scatter plot that shows students within a high school who were accepted, denied and wait-listed by a specific college using symbols in the graph legend.
History and acquisitions
In 2007, Naviance was acquired by Hobsons, a subsidiary of the Daily Mail and General Trust (DMGT). In addition to solutions like Naviance, Hobsons is a provider of technology and integrated marketing solutions for education professionals to manage student recruitment, enrollment management and retention.
In 2010, Naviance acquired the college recommendation engine MyFit, which uses data modeling to help students to identify colleges that match them academically and socially.
Naviance’s web-based software as a service platform provides students with a variety of features, including college research and matching tools, course planning, career assessment and personality tests, and surveys to help students connect what they are doing in school to what they would like to do once they complete their education. Naviance provides additional functionality to school counselors to track the progress of individual students, communicate and collaborate with students and families, or create reports on their entire student population. Additionally, Naviance’s integration with "The Common Application" facilitates the submission of college applications, as well as online submission of transcripts, school forms and recommendations through Naviance eDocs.
In March 2013, the Naviance Student Mobile application was introduced for iOS devices. Naviance Student is a free application that allows students to search for colleges and to manage tasks associated with the college admissions process.
In March 2014, Hobsons announced the new Naviance College and Career Readiness Curriculum for middle and high school students. The curriculum, designed in collaboration with Roadtrip Nation, is geared towards helping address the aspirations-achievement gap that exists today in schools. The curriculum is designed to help students develop college knowledge and non-cognitive skills required to succeed in a post-secondary environment.
Awards and recognition
In 2011, Naviance was included in District Administration magazine’s Reader’s Choice Top 100 Products list.
In 2012, District Administration magazine reported that since it began using Naviance two years earlier, Minneapolis Public Schools has seen an increase of 30 percent in the number of students who have post-secondary education and career plans, and the number of students attending a four-year college has increased by 6 percent.
- College admissions in the United States
- University and college admission
- Common Core State Standards Initiative
- School counseling
- Career assessment
- "Naviance Ties Reading Assessment to College and Career Readiness with Total Reader". The Business Journals. 21 March 2012. Retrieved 25 March 2012.
- "Naviance "Scattergrams" and Statistics". Palos Verdes High School. Retrieved 25 March 2012.
- "Hobsons acquires Washington, D.C., firm". Business Courier. 26 June 2007. Retrieved 25 March 2012.
- "Naviance Acquires College Recommendation Engine MyFit". Press Release. Naviance. Retrieved 25 March 2012.
- "Naviance Acquires PrepMe to Enhance College and Career Readiness Solution". PRNewswire. 16 February 2012. Retrieved 25 March 2012.
- "Naviance eDocs with deliveries by Docufide". Docufide. Retrieved 26 March 2012.
- Nelson, Sharleen. Campus Technology http://campustechnology.com/articles/2013/03/06/new-college-research-tool-helps-students-organize-admissions-planning.aspx
|url=missing title (help). Retrieved 3 March 2013.
- Bolkan, Joshua (11 March 2014). "Hobsons Launches Blended Career and College Readiness Curriculum". THE Journal. Retrieved 11 March 2014.
- Williams, Courtney (15 November 2011). "The 2011 Readers' Choice Top 100 Products". District Administration. Retrieved 25 March 2012.
- Herbert, Marion (24 February 2012). "Minneapolis Guidance Department Boosts Grad Rates With Online Tool". District Administration. Retrieved 25 March 2012.