Shaheed Bhagat Singh Nagar district
Shaheed Bhagat Singh Nagar
ਸ਼ਹੀਦ ਭਗਤ ਸਿੰਘ ਨਗਰ
Location in Punjab, India
meaning ‘New City’ because people shifted from the old town of Rahon avoiding the ravages ofSutlej River.
|• Deputy Commissioner||Anindita Mitra IAS|
|• Additional Deputy Commissioner||Amarjeet Paul|
|• Total||1,266 km2 (489 sq mi)|
|• Density||99/km2 (260/sq mi)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Telephone code||01823 for Nawanshahr and Banga
01885 for Balachaur
Shaheed Bhagat Singh Nagar district (formerly Nawanshahr district) is one of the districts in the state of Punjab in North-West Republic of India. It consists of three Sub -Divisions Nawanshahr, Banga and Balachaur. There are three legislative seats in the district, Nawanshahr, Balachaur and Banga. They fall under the Anandpur Sahib Lok Sabha Constituency. Now " Banga" is also third sub division of the district.
Shaheed Bhagat Singh Nagar district was carved out of Hoshiarpur and Jalandhar districts of Punjab on November 7, 1995, as the sixteenth district of Punjab State named from the headquarters town of Nawanshahr. Nawanshahr was founded by the migrants from Rahon near the river Sutlej as Rahon was in danger of being flooded. They named it Nawanshahar (New City. Nawanshahr has been the stronghold of the Ghorewaha Rajputs allied to King Akbar via kinship ties, and numerous clans of Jats.
The Scheduled Caste population is more than 40%, one of the highest percentage in India.
Nawanshahr became the District in 1995 during S.Harcharan Brar Govt., with the strong efforts of Late S.Dilbag Singh, Former Cabinet Minister and the then MLA of Nawanshahr. People of this district are economically sound. Large numbers of families from the district have settled abroad. Consequently huge remittance is being received back in India which contributes to the district's economic development and prosperity. The prosperity of Doaba area can be appreciated by the fact that price of land here is sky-scraping and almost far more than most of the districts in the state except Ludhiana, and Chandigarh. Nawanshahr is rising due to the currency coming from NRI Punjabi people who have settled abroad. Nawanshahr also has a rail track connecting it with Jalandhar, Rahon and Jaijon.
This region has abundant health facilities. Here Private clinics and Nursing homes not only surprise with their numbers but also some of them claim to have latest medical equipments. There are adequate number of Government Hospitals, Dispensaries and Primary Health Centers in this area. The hospitals in Nawanshahr have capacity of 64 beds and are equipped with latest medical tools. Banga and Balachaur hospitals are having capacity of 30 beds each. Also Mukandpur, Urapar, Sujjon, Saroya and Muzzaffarpur are provided all kinds of health services. Even for every village of the district health services are available. Veterinary hospitals are available in Nawanshahr, Rahon, Saroya and Balachaur.
On September 27, 2008 at Khatkar Kalan, eight km from Nawanshahr, the Punjab government announced that a district in the state would be named after freedom fighter Bhagat Singh. The announcement was made by Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal at the ancestral village of the Shaheed Bhagat Singh to mark his 101st birth anniversary and Nawanshahr district was renamed Shaheed Bhagat Singh Nagar.
Nawanshahr district is located at .
Area and population
- Total area (km².) 1,258
- Total population (2001 Census) 587,468
- Male 306,902
- Female 280,566
- Female per 1000 male: 913
- Density of population (per km².) 439
- Percentage increase in population (1991–2001) 10.43.
According to the 2011 census Shaheed Bhagat Singh Nagar district has a population of 614,362, roughly equal to the nation of Solomon Islands or the US state of Vermont. This gives it a ranking of 522nd in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 479 inhabitants per square kilometre (1,240/sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001-2011 was 4.58%. Shaheed Bhagat Singh Nagar has a sex ratio of 954 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 80.3%.
- Dewan Banna Mal Gautam (Chief Minister of Kapurthala State and Mánager Of Kapurthala Estates in Oudh)
- Choudhry Rahmat Ali( Muslim Nationalist)
- Jazzy B (Punjabi singer)
- B.R. Chopra (film director and producer)
- Yash Chopra (film director and producer)
- Amrish Puri (Indian actor)
- Madan Puri (Indian actor)
- Mohammed Zahur Khayyam (Indian music director)
- Sukhshinder Shinda (Punjabi singer, music director and producer)
- "District Census 2011". Census2011.co.in. 2011. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- Gazetteer of the Hoshiarpur District (1883-4) (p. 56), when Mughal Emperor, Akbar, took in marriage the daughter of Mahr Mitha, a Jat of the Manjha, 35 principal families of Jats contenanced the marriage and sent representatives to Delhi. Thereafter, the 35 Jat families became known as the "Akbari Jats".
- "Nawanshahr District Location". nawanshahr.nic.in. Retrieved 2007-04-15.
- "Nawanshahr District Census 2001". nawanshahr.nic.in. Retrieved 2007-02-13.
- US Directorate of Intelligence. "Country Comparison:Population". Retrieved 2011-10-01.
Solomon Islands 571,890 July 2011 est.
- "2010 Resident Population Data". U. S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
||Kapurthala district (Eastern)||Hoshiarpur district|
|Jalandhar district||Rupnagar district|