|Type||Privately held company|
|Founder(s)||Tan Sri SM Nasimuddin SM Amin|
|Headquarters||Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia|
|Key people||Wira SM Faisal, (Joint Group Executive chairman)
SM Nasarudin, (Joint Group Executive chairman)
Puan Sri Zaleha Ismail, (Director),
SM Faliq, (Director)
Nur Diana, (Director)
Nur Nadia, (Director)
Naza Group of Companies is a Malaysian business conglomerate involved in many types of business ranging from motoring to education. The group began operations in 1975 as a motor trading company. Motoring sector remains the most important sector for the group.
The group has business divisions including vehicles and bikes distribution, motor-trading, manufacturing, property development, food and beverage, hospitality, transportation services, limousine services, automotive education, plantations, cigarette distribution, non-financial services. The group was founded and led by Malaysian business tycoon Tan Sri SM Nasimuddin SM Amin until his death on 1 May 2008.
Naza Group is the franchise holder for Ferrari, Maserati, Koenigsegg, Kia Motors, Peugeot, Chevrolet, Citroën, Brabus, Ducati, Harley Davidson, Piaggio, Vespa, Aprilia, Gilera and Indian Motorcycle brands in Malaysia.
Naza has marketed rebadged versions of Kia's Carnival, Carens, Picanto vehicles as Naza Ria, Naza Citra, and Naza Suria respectively for Malaysian market. In April 2006, Naza developed the Naza Sutera based on Hafei Lobo. It was joined by a Naza-badged version of the Peugeot 206 called the Naza 206 Bestari in May 2006, and a Naza-badged version of the Kia Picanto called Naza Picanto in November 2006.
- 1 History
- 2 Businesses divisions
- 3 Community
- 4 Controversies
- 5 Naza CKD models
- 6 See also
- 7 External links
- 8 References
The Naza Group of Companies began with the establishment of Naza Motor Trading Sdn Bhd in 1975 as an importer of used and reconditioned cars in Malaysia by the late Tan Sri SM Nasimuddin SM Amin. At just 21, he used his savings, earned from helping his father's construction business, to import used Japanese vehicles.
After selling off his entire stock within three-months, Tan Sri SM Nasimuddin began a dealership for used luxury vehicles in Kuala Lumpur. Within several years, the group established itself as a major dealer of used luxury vehicles in Malaysia. The group also included the importation of used luxury bikes.
1990 to 1999
By the late 90s, the Naza Group expanded its business to include automotive distribution after capturing its first franchise from South Korean carmaker, Kia Motors Corp.
Part of Naza Group of Companies, Naza Hotel Management was born. Under the late Tan Sri SM Nasimuddin, the Naza Group also ventured into the hotel management industry. In the late 90s it acquired the Crowne Plaza Los Angeles Harbor Hotel and the Howard Johnson Inn Torrance in California, USA.
2000 to 2009
In 2000, the Naza Group's extended its portfolio to include the distribution of motorcycles after being appointed as the exclusive distributor for the Ducati brand in Malaysia.
By 2001, the Naza Group became a full-fledged auto assembler with the introduction of the locally-assembled, Kia Spectra. Several locally-assembled Kia models that were subsequently launched such as the Naza Ria MPV, the Sorento and the Sportage quickly became market leaders in their respective segments. In the same year, the Naza Group captured its second franchise after it was appointed as the exclusive distributor of Brabus-tuned cars.
In 2002, the Naza Group acquired hotels in Penang, Melaka and Johor Bahru. These three hotels were later re-branded under the name, Naza Talyya Hotels, in 2010. Naza Talyya Hotel closes their operation in Johor and to-date only two Naza Talyya Hotels which in Penang and Melaka
With demand for locally-assembled Kia's increasing, the Naza Group started construction works on its very own automotive manufacturing facility in Gurun, Kedah in September 2002. In 2003, the Naza Group commenced operations of a RM30 million motorcycle manufacturing plant in Shah Alam, Selangor to assemble a wide range of bikes including scooters and superbikes.
By May 2004, the RM500 million manufacturing facility in Gurun- known as Naza Automotive Manufacturing (NAM) – commenced operations by rolling out a Naza Ria MPV.
The group's foray into manufacturing into NAM also led to the launch of the Naza 206 Bestari, which was the result of a joint venture with Automobiles Peugeot, and the group's first ever car, the Naza Sutera in 2006.
In 2004, current shareholder Ekspedisi Nikmat Sdn Bhd helmed by Naza Group late chairman Tan Sri Dato' Seri Utama SM Nasimuddin SM Amin, acquired TTDI from Danaharta.
TTDI is now the main property arm of the NAZA group of companies. TTDI development changed its name to Naza TTDI Sdn Bhd on 11 March 2008 to reflect its association with the NAZA Group. The Naza Group is an established player in the property development market through its subsidiary, Naza TTDI, which is best known for the development of the acclaimed township of Taman Tun Dr Ismail in Kuala Lumpur.
At the same time, the Naza Group began to rapidly expand its motor-trading business. In 2005, it launched the Naza Auto Mall in Petaling Jaya, Selangor, which is the largest motor showroom in Malaysia. With a built-up area of 250,414 square feet and the capacity to display 2,000 cars, the Naza Auto Mall symbolised the group's status as the largest importer of used and re-conditioned luxury and high-end vehicles in Malaysia. Naza Auto Mall and has won a mention in the Malaysia Book of Records for being the largest motor showroom in the country.
The group has also had a strong commitment in the field of education. In 2006, the group established the Naza Kia Academy (NKA) by its manufacturing facility in Gurun, Kedah. NKA offers sales and after-sales training to all employees of the Naza Group particularly in developmental and technical-related programs. The academy is also recognised by Kia Motors as its overseas training centre in the Asia Pacific region.
In 2008, the group added more brands to its portfolio. In January, it was appointed the sole distributor for the Peugeot brand followed by Ferrari in April and Harley-Davidson in October. By 2009, it added the Italian luxury brand, Maserati, to its portfolio.
As the distributor for Peugeot vehicles in Malaysia, the Naza Group began assembling Peugeots at NAM in Gurun. By that time, vehicles produced at Gurun were also being exported to neighbouring countries in Asean which established the group's credentials as a manufacturer that could meet international standards.
The Naza Group entered the food and beverage industry in 2008 after capturing the Bubba Gump Shrimp Co franchise for Malaysia.
In 2009, Naza Kia Academy began offering executive diploma in automotive management and executive diploma in manufacturing management process programmes. These diploma programmes were offered in collaboration with the UK's Society of Business Practitioners. In that same year, the Naza Group signed a collaboration agreement with US-based Motorola University to offer executive development programmes the group's employees.
In 2009, it expanded its food and beverage portfolio to include the Tutti Frutti Frozen Yogurt brand. The group became the master license holder for the franchise in Malaysia, Singapore, Cambodia, Brunei and Thailand. It currently has over 100 outlets in Malaysia as well as outlets in Singapore, Cambodia, Brunei and Thailand.
2010 to present
In 2010, Automobiles Peugeot announced it would partner the Naza Group in establishing a manufacturing hub for the former at the latter's plant in Gurun for right-hand drive markets in the Asean region. The announcement marked the first time a foreign carmaker had chosen to make Malaysia its hub for the region.
2010 was another active year for the group as it added several more brands to its stable. In March, it won the exclusive rights to distribute the Chevrolet brand in Malaysia from General Motors.
By May, it expanded its motorcycle division by entering into an agreement with the Piaggio Group. Under the agreement, the Naza Group was given exclusive rights to distribute the Piaggio, Aprilia, Vespa and Gilera brands in Malaysia.
In 2011, the Naza Group added another brand to its stable: Indian Motorcycle. With Indian Motorcycle, the Naza Group became a premium player in the big bikes market in Malaysia. It has also cemented the group's position as one of the largest bike importers and distributors in Malaysia.
In 2011, the Naza Group entered into a joint venture with HELP International Corporation Bhd to establish a college of automotive and transportation management in Malaysia. The joint venture, which has been named, College of Automotive Transportation (CATM), is targeting to launch campuses in Gurun and Selayang, Selangor in 2012. NKA's facility in Gurun will serve as CATM's campus there. Among the courses to be offered include Diploma in Automotive Technology and a Diploma in Motorsport Technology.
In 2012, the Naza Group expanded its F&B portfolio to include Gyu Kaku, a globally-renown Yakiniku restaurant chain.
In 2013, the Naza Group announced that its subsidiary, Naza Euro Motors, had been appointed as the official distributor for the Citroën brand in Malaysia. Through the appointment, the Naza Group now represents both major brands of the PSA Peugeot Citroën group in Malaysia.
To-date, Naza TTDI has completed over 14,000 residential and commercial units and is currently developing the RM4 billion Platinum Park, an integrated residential and commercial development in the Kuala Lumpur City Centre. The company is developing the RM15 billion KL Metropolis project which will house the new MATRADE Exhibition and Convention Centre.
- Naza Motor Trading Sdn Bhd (Importer of luxury and high-end vehicles)
- Naza Italia Sdn Bhd (Ferrari and Maserati distributor)
- Naza Swedish Motors Sdn Bhd (Koenigsegg distributor)
- Naza Kia Malaysia Sdn Bhd (Kia distributor)
- Nasim Sdn Bhd (Peugeot distributor)
- Naza Quest Sdn Bhd (Chevrolet distributor)
- Naza-Brabus Motor Sdn Bhd (Brabus-tuned cars distributor)
- Naza Corporation Sdn Bhd (Naza cars distributor)
- NZ Wheels Sdn Bhd (Mercedes-Benz dealership)
- Naza Wheels Sdn Bhd (Chevrolet dealership)
- Naza Quest Auto Sdn Bhd (Chevrolet dealership)
- Naza Mekar Sdn Bhd (Perodua dealership)
- Next Bike Sdn Bhd (Ducati distributor)
- Naza Prestige Bikes Sdn Bhd (Harley-Davidson distributor)
- Naza Premira Sdn Bhd (Piaggio, Vespa, Aprilia and Gilera distributor)
- Harmony Fabulous Sdn Bhd (Indian Motorcycle distributor)
- Naza Bikers Dream Sdn Bhd (Importer of high-end bikes)
- Naza Bikers Sales and Distribution Sdn Bhd (Naza Bikes distributor)
- Naza Automotive Manufacturing Sdn Bhd (Manufacturing arm, producing Kia & Peugeot models)
- Naza Bikes Sdn Bhd (Manufacturing arm, producing bikes)
- Naza TTDI Sdn Bhd
- Laman Premium Sdn Bhd
- Naza Engineering and Construction Sdn Bhd
- Naza Hotel Management Sdn Bhd
- Howard Johnson, Torrance, California
- Crowne Plaza Hotel, San Pedro, California
Food and beverage
- NZ Diners Sdn Bhd (Franchise holder for Bubba Gump Shrimp Co chain in Malaysia)
- Autumn Odyssey Sdn Bhd (Franchise holder for Gyu-Kaku Japanese BBQ chain in Malaysia)
- Naza Tutti Frutti (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd (Master license holder for the Tutti Frutti Frozen Yogurt chain in Malaysia, Singapore, Cambodia, Brunei and Thailand)
Research and education
- Naza KIA Academy Sdn Bhd (Regional KIA training centre for Asia Pacific region)
- Naza Education Sdn Bhd (JV Company with Help International Corporation Berhad)
- Naza Auto Solutions Sdn Bhd (Automotive design, producing cars accessories & parts)
Transportation and logistics
- Naza Ventures Holdings Sdn Bhd (Prestige Limo – Rental luxury limousine)
- Naza Transport Sdn Bhd Sdn Bhd (Vehicle logistics services)
- Zalnas Limousine Sdn. Bhd (Airport Limo & Taxi services)
- NZ Galaxy Sdn Bhd (Retail cars accessories & parts)
- Naza Credit & Leasing Sdn Bhd (Vehicles Financing)
- Naza Coverage Sdn Bhd (Insurance Agent)
- Zalnas Coverage Sdn Bhd (Insurance Agent)
- Wood Vision Sdn Bhd (Plantation)
- Bahau Cigarette Distributors Sdn Bhd (Cigarette Distribution)
- Asas Sejati Sdn Bhd (Cigarette Distribution)
Over the years, Naza Group corporate social responsibility (CSR) activities have expanded and diversified. Today, the group CSR programmes include donations and sponsorship to healthcare organisations, palliative care providers, orphanages, natural disaster funds, educational programs and initiatives, the local arts and sporting activities.
Tan Sri SM Nasimuddin Foundation
Yayasan Tan Sri SM Nasimuddin is a Company Limited by Guarantee, with a vision to champion education as its main cause.
Incorporated on 16 March 2011, the Yayasan was established in honour of the late Tan Sri SM Nasimuddin, the founder of Naza Group, with an aim to provide financial aid in the form of educational scholarships, schooling assistance and donations to support charitable organisations.
It strives to raise funds through various means including donations and strategic fund-raising activities.
It can be seen as the success of Naza is based on its ability to get AP. Nasimuddin was implicated in the AP controversy of 2005, when he was dubbed the "AP King". It was claimed that he and three other prominent businessmen were monopolising the issuance of Approved Permits (APs). APs are government-issued permits to import cars for bumiputra's. The practice of APs helped shift dominance of the car import industry from the ethnic Chinese and the ethnic Russian to the Malays.
Naza CKD models
Naza rebadge models
- Naza Ria (rebadged Kia Carnival)
- Naza Citra (rebadged Kia Carens (second generation))
- Naza Citra II Rondo (rebadged Kia Carens (third generation) and Kia Euro Carens)
- Naza Sorento (rebadged Kia Sorento)
- Naza Forza (rebadged Hafei Lobo, previously known as Naza Sutera)
- Naza 206 Bestari (rebadged Peugeot 206)
- Naza Picanto (rebadged Kia Picanto, previously known as Naza Suria)
Kia Motors models
- Kia Sorento
- Kia Sportage
- Kia Optima
- Kia Spectra
- Kia Picanto
- Kia Forte
- Kia Rio
- Kia Cerato
- Kia Pregio
- Kia Carens
- “Tan Sri SM Nasimuddin dies at 53 in Los Angeles”
- “Naza Group inked a franchise agreement with Koenigsegg Automotive AB for the distributorship”
- “Naza Italia granted sole distributor of Ferrari in Malaysia”
- “Naza has over 100 Tutti Frutti Frozen Yogurt outlet”
- “Naza acquires the sole distributorship of Indian Motorcycles for Malaysia and Singapore market”
- “Naza Group official distributor of Citroen in Malaysia”
- “Naza TTDI developing 15 billion KL Metropolis Project”