Ne me quitte pas
|"Ne Me Quitte Pas"|
|Song by Jacques Brel from the album La Valse à Mille Temps|
|Recorded||11 September 1959|
"Ne me quitte pas" (English: "Don't leave me") is a 1959 French song by the Belgian chansonnier (singer-songwriter) Jacques Brel. It has been covered in the original French by many artists and has also been translated into and performed in many other languages. A well-known adaptation, with English lyrics by Rod McKuen, is "If You Go Away".
- 1 Background
- 2 Cover versions
- 2.1 French
- 2.2 Arabic
- 2.3 Armenian
- 2.4 Afrikaans
- 2.5 Catalan
- 2.6 Croatian
- 2.7 Czech
- 2.8 Dutch
- 2.9 English
- 2.10 Finnish
- 2.11 Frisian
- 2.12 German
- 2.13 Greek
- 2.14 Hebrew
- 2.15 Italian
- 2.16 Polish
- 2.17 Portuguese
- 2.18 Russian
- 2.19 Slovene
- 2.20 Spanish
- 2.21 Swedish
- 2.22 Turkish
- 2.23 Yiddish
- 2.24 Multilingual
- 2.25 Instrumental
- 3 In popular culture
- 4 References
- 5 External links
Jacques Brel first recorded this song on 11 September 1959, released on his fourth album La Valse à Mille Temps. The song is published by Warner-Chappell Publishing. In 1961 a Dutch-language version sung by Brel was released on the Philips label. Entitled "Laat me niet alleen", with lyrics by Ernst van Altena and was a B-side to an also Dutch-language version of Marieke. Brel recorded another version as the title track of his 1972 album.
The lyrics "Moi, je t'offrirai des perles de pluie venues de pays où il ne pleut pas" ("I'll offer you rain pearls from lands where it does not rain") are sung to a theme borrowed from the second part, Lassan (Andante), of the Hungarian Rhapsody No. 6 by the composer Franz Liszt.
Ne me quitte pas was written after Brel's mistress "Zizou" (Suzanne Gabriello) threw him out of her life. Zizou was pregnant with Brel's child, but Brel refused to acknowledge the child as his own. Zizou later had an abortion due to Brel's actions.
It is considered by some as "Brel's ultimate classic".
- Barbara chante Brel
- Nina Simone in her June 1965 I Put a Spell on You album
- Frida Boccara (some versions): 1. Duet with Luis Recatero (EP Belter 51532, 1965); 2. «Frida Boccara Sings» – 1967, LP Melodia, made in USSR («Поёт Фрида Боккара» [Д-20579-80]); 3. "Place des Arts – Montreal '71 Live" (2 LP Philips, 1971 and CD 2006, Canada); 4.«An Evening With Frida Boccara» (1978, Live at Dallas Brooks Hall, Melbourne – 2 LP Philips and some CD compilations)
- Vicky Leandros – Brel asked Leandros to sing this song after they met in a French TV studio. The song was released on the album Ich Bin released January 1971 and on the French album Je Suis Comme Je Suis released in Canada (October 1971
- Gigliola Cinquetti in Bonjour Paris (album CGD 65978)
- Alison Moyet Appears as the B-side to "Love Letters"
- Alison Moyet Appears as the B-side to "Getting Into Something"
- Isabelle Aubret in her Chante Brel album
- Timna Brauer & Elias Meiri in their album "Chansons et violons"
- The late Frida Boccara in her posthumous Un jour, un enfant CD
- Elena Kamburova in her album Дорога (The Road) CD
- Maria Bill sings Jacques Brel
- Estrella Morente, a flamenco singer, on her album Mujeres, whose arrangement and performance is based on Nina Simone's.
- Concha Buika in her album La noche más larga
- Mashrou' Leila's version "لا تتركني هيك- ne me quitte pas". Indie band from Lebanon performed the cover-version at Paleo Festival Nyon – (Chapiteau / Switzerland) in 2012.
- Onnik Dinkjian's version "Yete Heranas." Recorded by Onnik Dinkjian with John Berberian (oud) and others (all from the US) on the album "Inner Feelings of Onnik." (US release)
- Herman van den Berg's version "Laat my by jou bly".
- 1965 :
- Emili Vendrell – "No em deixis tan sol"
- 1967 :
- Mercè Madolell – "No te'n vagis pas"
- 1968 :
- Salomé – "No em deixis mai"
- Albert Fibla – "No em deixis, no"
- 1971 :
- Arsen Dedić – Nemoj poći sad
- Jacques Brel's version "Laat me niet alleen"
- Liesbeth List's version "Laat me niet alleen".
- 25 April 2013:
The pop standard "If You Go Away", with lyrics by Rod McKuen, has been covered by many artists. Different lyrics by Momus render the song as "Don't Leave" for his 1986 album Circus Maximus. American duo the Black Veils translate the song as "Don't Leave Me" on their 2009 album Troubadours, which includes translations of six other French chansons. Sang by Holcombe Waller in Ryan Trecartin's "Sibling Topics (section a)" at 23:10.
- Shirley Bassey released a version as a single which also appeared on her album And We Were Lovers.
- Dusty Springfield popularized a multi-lingual French/English version for her album The Look of Love
- Lana Cantrell, for her album And Then There Was Lana
- Kim Weston, for her MGM album For The First Time
- Scott Walker recorded a cover of "Ne me quitte pas" on his third solo album Scott 3, originally released in 1969. Scott Walker released various Brel covers on the albums Scott 1, 2 & 3, which were translated by Mort Shuman.
- Brita Koivunen "Jos nyt menet pois"
- Toni Edelmann "Ethän lähde pois"
- Susanna Haavisto "Ala vetää vaan"
- Vera Telenius "Ala vetää vaan"
- Samuli Edelmann "Ethän lähde pois"
- Douwe Heeringa "Leafste bliuw by my"
- Marlene Dietrich "Bitte geh nicht fort"
- Klaus Hoffmann "Geh nicht fort von mir"; "Bitte geh nicht fort" (1997)
- Markus Pol Lass mich nicht allein
- Vicky Leandros in the album Pes mou pos mporeis (Tell me how you can).
- Yiannis Parios in the LP Tha Me Thymithis (You will remember me), with the title "Mi me afinis mi" (Don't leave me, don't).
- Haris Alexiou in her live album: Gyrizontas ton kosmo (During my world tour).
- Yiannnis Parios' live rendition of the aforementioned song.
- Vassilikos in the album "Vintage"
- 1974: Dani Granot Sang "Ana Al Telchi" - Please don't go(אנא אל תלכי), a translation by Dafna Eilat, in his album Shkiot Nashim Vechol Hashar.
- 1992: The late Yossi Banai sings Al telchi mikan - Don't go from here(אל תלכי מכאן), a translation by Naomi Shemer, in the Im neda' le'ehoה – Songs of Jacques Brel (אם נדע לאהוב) record
- 2001: Rita and Rami Kleinstein sang the same Hebrew version live in their tour, that was later released on a CD, Rita Rami On Stage
- 2008: Itay Pearl Israeli composer http://www.itaypearl.com, wrote a song as a response to the original Jacques Brel version.
- 2009: Shlomi Shaban: Translated by Dory Manor, Al Telchi Achshav - Don't go now (אל תלכי עכשיו).
- Gino Paoli, "Non Andare Via"
- Ornella Vanoni, "Non Andare Via"
- Michał Bajor, "Nie opuszczaj mnie"
- Edyta Górniak, "Nie opuszczaj mnie"
- Edyta Jungowska, "Nie opuszczaj mnie"
- Joanna Jabłczyńska, "Nie opuszczaj mnie"
- Altemar Dutra (Brazil) "Se Você Partir" – Se Você Partir (Ne Me Quitte Pas) (J.Brel – Romeo Nunes)
- Raimundo Fagner (Brazil) "Não Me Deixes" – Não Me Deixes (Ne Me Quitte Pas) (J. Brel – Fausto Nilo)
- Igor Ivanov's version "Если ты уйдёшь" (CDRDM 502065, CD album "Игорь Иванов – Я тебя помню", 1995)
- Mumiy Troll's version "Когда ты уйдёшь"
- Branko Završan "Saj ne boš kar šla"
- Sandy Aruba's salsa music version "No Me Dejes Mas"
- Angélica María "No me dejes no"
- Matt Monroe "No me dejes no"
- Alma Ritano "No me dejes no"
- Fito Páez: "Ne me quitté pás", Album: "Canciones para Aliens"
- Lill Lindfors: "Om du går din väg" in Kom i min värld
- Maria Stoltz: "Du Får Inte Gå" in Franska chansoner
- Zeki Müren "Beni Bırakma"
- Ertan Anapa "Beni Terketme"
- Lale Belkıs "Beni Bırakma"
- Mendy Cahan's version "לאָז מיך נישט אַלײן"
- Das Blaue Einhorn's version of "Ne Me Quitte Pas" in French and German, from their album Verkauf dein Pferd – Lieder vom Halten und Lassen (2007)
- Richard Clayderman, for his 1982 album 'Reveries No.2'
In popular culture
The song was used in the critically acclaimed TV show Person of Interest. "Ne Me Quitte Pas" was used by Spanish filmmaker Pedro Almodóvar in his sixth film, Law of Desire, in a striking performance by Brazilian singer Maysa Matarazzo. A parody of the song and the singer, as the archetypal chansonnier, was performed by italian actor Gigi Proietti.
- Robine, Marc. "Quand on n'a que l'amour- Jacques Brel". Retrieved 2007-01-14.
- "Confusion between Suzanne Langlois and Jacques Brel". Second Hand Songs. 2009-05-11. Retrieved 2007-01-14.
- "Sting – Ne Me Quitte Pas – (live)". YouTube. 2008-08-08. Retrieved 2009-08-11.
- "Maria Gadú – Ne Me Quitte Pas – (live)". YouTube. 2009-09-20. Retrieved 2009-10-21.
- Discogs.com: album "Радмила Караклаич" (LP, USSR 1973)
- Igor Ivanov's Discography
- "nun me romp er ca".
- (English) SecondHandSongs cover hierarchy for 'Ne Me Quitte Pas'
- (French) (English) (Italian) Brelitude - List of 'Ne me quitte pas' cover versions
- See the article "List of Jacques Brel cover versions".
- Alfred de Grazia: Don't Leave Me: a translation into English by Anne-Marie de Grazia at the Wayback Machine (archived January 14, 2008)
- Full lyrics of this song at MetroLyrics