Nea Zichni (Greek: Νέα Ζίχνη, Bulgarian: Зиляхово, Zilyahovo, Turkish: Zihne) is a municipality in the Serres regional unit, of Central Macedonia region, Greece. Population 12,397 (2011). Nea Zichni is also the name of the administrative seat of the municipality, population 2,530 (2011).
The city was originally built next to the marches of Lake Achinos, and it was called Ichna (Greek: Ίχνα). It was a Paionian city, that was sometime in the 5th cBC or early 4th cBC incorporated into the Macedonian Kingdom. Another city by the same name Ichna is mentioned by Thucidides being next to Pella, by the Loudias and Axios Delta. The name Ichna (Greek: Ίχνα) is a Paionian cognate of the Greek word "ichnos" (Greek: ίχνος) which means "stepping ground" a name appropriate for a city built on the sand between the marsh and the lake (or rhw sea). The original Ichna remained a city throughout the Hellenistic Roman and Byzantine eras, only to be destroyed and was rebuilt far from the lake in its original position on the hills. During the ottoman years it was a kaza centre in Serez sanjak of Selanik Province at Ottoman Empire before Balkan Wars as "Zihne".
The municipality Nea Zichni was formed at the 2011 local government reform by the merger of the following 2 former municipalities, that became municipal units:
Nea Zichni countryside in Toumba location.
- ^ Detailed census results 2011 (Greek)
- ^ Ethnographie des Vilayets d'Andrinople, de Monastir et de Salonique, 1878, reprint in Bulgarian: „Македония и Одринско. Статистика на населението от 1873 г." Македонски научен институт, София, 1995, стр. 146 - 147.
- ^ Кънчов, Васил. „Македония. Етнография и статистика". София, 1900, стр.181.
- ^ Brancoff, D.M. "La Macédoine et sa Population Chrétienne". Paris, 1905, рр. 202-203.
- ^ http://www.hbvdergisi.gazi.edu.tr/ui/dergiler/makale8.pdf
- ^ Miltiades E. Bolaris: "Macedonian names and makeDONSKI pseudo-linguistics: The case of the name Pella" 
- ^ http://muhacirin.blogcu.com/su-albumden-selanik-hatiralari-ekleyen-selanik-selanik-vilayet/7614320 Administrative Division of Selanik Province (Turkish)
- ^ Kallikratis law Greece Ministry of Interior (Greek)
Subdivisions of the municipality of Nea Zichni
|Municipal unit of Alistrati
- Stathmos Angistis
|Municipal unit of Nea Zichni
- Agios Christoforos
- Nea Petra
- Nea Zichni