|Main ingredients||Pizza dough (type 0 or 00 tender wheat flour, Natural yeast, sour dough or brewer's yeast, sea salt, water), tomatoes (San Marzano), mozzarella (bufala Campana)|
|Variations||Pizza marinara, pizza Margherita|
|Cookbook:Neapolitan pizza Neapolitan pizza|
|Part of a series on|
Neapolitan pizza (Italian: pizza napoletana) is made with tomatoes and Mozzarella cheese. It can be made with ingredients like San Marzano tomatoes, which grow on the volcanic plains to the south of Mount Vesuvius, and mozzarella di bufala Campana, made with the milk from water buffalo raised in the marshlands of Campania and Lazio in a semi-wild state (this mozzarella is protected with its own European protected designation of origin).
According to the rules proposed by the Associazione Vera Pizza Napoletana, the genuine Neapolitan pizza dough consists of wheat flour (type 0 or 00, or a mixture of both), natural Neapolitan yeast or brewer's yeast, salt and water. For proper results, strong flour with high protein content (as used for bread-making rather than cakes) must be used. The dough must be kneaded by hand or with a low-speed mixer. After the rising process, the dough must be formed by hand without the help of a rolling pin or other machine, and may be no more than 3 millimeters (0.12 in) thick. The pizza must be baked for 60–90 seconds in a 485 °C (905 °F) stone oven with an oak-wood fire. When cooked, it should be soft, elastic, tender and fragrant. There are three official variants: pizza marinara, which is made with tomato, garlic, oregano and extra virgin olive oil, pizza Margherita, made with tomato, sliced mozzarella, basil and extra-virgin olive oil, and pizza Margherita extra made with tomato, mozzarella from Campania in fillets, basil and extra virgin olive oil. The pizza napoletana is a Traditional Speciality Guaranteed (Specialità Tradizionale Garantita, STG) product in Europe.
- "Selezione geografica". Europa.eu.int. 2009-02-23. Retrieved 2009-04-02.
- "Associazione Vera Pizza Napoletana". Pizzanapoletana.org. Retrieved 2012-07-07.
- "Vera Pizza Napoletana Specification | Verace Pizza Napoletana". Fornobravo.com. 2004-05-24. Retrieved 2009-04-02.
- Naples pizza makers celebrate EU trademark status, BBC News, 4 February 2010
- Publication of an application pursuant to Article 8(2) of Council Regulation (EC) No 509/2006 on agricultural products and foodstuffs as traditional specialties guaranteed – Pizza napoletana (2008/C 40/08), OJEU, 14 February 2009
- Passy, Charles. "Pizzerias Seek Certification for Neapolitan Pizza". http://wsj.com. Wall Street Journal.