Cover of Needless volume 1 as published by Shueisha
|Genre||Action, Biopunk, Black comedy, Science fantasy|
|Written by||Kami Imai|
|Original run||2003 – 2013|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Masayuki Sakoi|
|Music by||Tatsuya Kato|
|Network||Tokyo MX, MBS, TVS, tvk, THK|
|Original run||July 2, 2009 – December 10, 2009|
Needless (ニードレス Nīdoresu ) is an action comedy science fiction manga and anime series by Kami Imai. Serialized in Shueisha's seinen magazine Ultra Jump beginning in 2003, an anime adaptation by Madhouse began airing on July 2, 2009.
- 1 Synopsis
- 2 Characters
- 3 Other characters, organizations, and places
- 4 Media
- 5 References
- 6 External links
This anime is set in the year 2130 (the beginning date remains unclear), 50 years after World War III. The war has left a crater where Tokyo once stood, a place now filled with contaminated rubble. This spot, known as "The Black Spot", has no electrical power and is seen as a dark spherical patch from outer space and one of many Black Spots across Japan. The Black Spot eventually becomes populated by outcasts, some of whom, as a result of the contamination, gain various powers called "fragments". Those in possession of such fragments come to be known as "Needless".
The manga is divided into two separate parts. Part I introduces the characters, starting with the meeting between Adam Blade and Cruz Schild. The arc's events result in the two opposing sides battling at Simeon tower. The battle ends when Adam Arclight, losses interest in the Blade faction, and releases the full power of "PF Zero", causing a huge explosion that destroys the area around the Simeon Tower and scattering the participants in the process. Cruz wakes up alone in the ruins of the Simeon Tower after perceiving an encouraging vision of Adam Blade.
Part II follows Cruz on his journeys to find his scattered friends. In a surprising event over the course of one such journey he meets Mio, who decides to join up with him in order to see Blade again. During their journeys they encounter a number of successful situations while making new allies. Meanwhile, Adam Arclight, aware of Cruz's survival, orders his execution. As of the latest release, Cruz is found alongside the majority of his friends.
The Misfits (Blade Faction)
- Adam Blade (アダム・ブレイド Adamu・Bureido )
- Voiced by: Takehito Koyasu (Japanese), Andrew Love (English)
- Adam Blade is a destroyer priest who lives in the church in Sector 533. He has a metal collar engraved with the characters '079.AB.' affixed to his neck. He has inhuman strength and endurance as well as accelerated healing, plus a skeletal structure attached with a special metal called Orichalcum. His fragment 'Zero' allows him to learn the attacks of his enemies, after being hit by it or seeing it, also being able to combine other abilities learned as well. His special move is 'Death Verdict', the final pronouncement when taking an enemy's life.
- Eve Neuschwanstein (イヴ・ノイシュヴァンシュタイン Ivu・Noishuvanshutain )
- Voiced by: Eri Kitamura (Japanese), Brittney Karbowski (English)
- Eve Neuschwanstein is Blade's partner. She is bad at remembering other people's names. Even though she has the appearance of a young girl, she is proven to be a capable fighter. Her fragment is 'Doppelganger', an ability which allows her to shapeshift into anything (from a drill on her arm to other person's appearances). She is also shown to be able to shapeshift into a wall, which is inorganic. The weakness of this power is that she needs a lot of calories to use it. Therefore she often drinks an energy drink named 'Super Gel Dero Doro Drink', which contains 5000 kilocalories.
- Cruz Schild (クルス・シルト Kurusu・Shiruto )
- Voiced by: Aya Endo (Japanese), Luci Christian (English)
- Cruz Schild is a young boy, whose big sister Aruka is presumably killed during a Testament attack. He is a bit of a wimp, but shows certain qualities and strengths and is the only known survivor of the uprising against Simeon. He remains highly committed to the memory of Aruka, often addressing her directly in his thoughts, and is seen carrying a pendant with a picture of her in it. He is often used as a sort of gofer by some of the other team members (most notably Blade and Eve). While shown as physically weak compared to most of the other characters, his keen observational skills and raw intellect more than make up for this deficiency.
- Gido (ギド)
- Voiced by: Kenji Utsumi (Japanese), David Wald (English)
- Gido an elderly scientist with an attitude, and his real name is Gin Rikudo (六道銀 Rikudo Gin ). He lives with Blade and Eve in the church as their father figure. He has no fragment, but is extremely intelligent and knowledgeable about current events. He seems to know more about Arclight than he lets on. Eventually it was discovered that he was the head of the Simeon initiative to clone the Second and presided over the creation of the two Adams and Eve, after 77 failures where the clone bodies would tear themselves apart. He handled the children's early development and after Arclight's actions destroyed their establishment, he took them away and raised them. Since the incident, he took care of Blade and Eve and lived with them in the Black Spot to avoid chase from the government.
- Disc (ディスク Disuku )
- Voiced by: Emiri Katō (Japanese), Serena Varghese (English)
- Disc is a cyborg who resided in Iron Mountain. Even though she has the appearance of a young girl, she is actually 100 years old. After the incident in Iron Mountain, she joins forces with Blade to take out Simeon. Her fragment is 'Scan', which allows her to learn her opponent's power and other things such as their BWH measurements. She was found by Cruz along with Eve after the PF Zero blast, but her body is damaged. From then until City arc, she only appears as a head, using her pigtails to move, and controlling a testament for long distance travel. She has grown affectionate of Cruz ever since he cross-dressed as a girl.
- Momiji Teruyama (照山最次 Teruyama Momiji )
- Voiced by: Kentarō Itō (Japanese), Rob Mungle (English)
- Momiji Teruyama is a Needless with flame abilities who first appears to fight Blade to avenge his fallen comrades and was easily beaten. However, it is revealed that the one that he is searching for is Adam Arclight, not Adam Blade. He joins forces with Blade to fight against Simeon Tower. His abilities include 'Little Boy', where he lights his fist on fire to create an explosive punch. He can also use the ability 'Vulcan Shock Ignition', which basically looks like a giant fireball which he throws at the enemy.
- Seto (セト)
- Voiced by: Kaori Fukuhara (Japanese), Maggie Flecknoe (English)
- Seto is a young girl holding a large sword with a skull design handle. She is a prominent member of the Black Spot's mercenary guild. For a while, due to unknown circumstances, Blade became her partner. Her fragment is 'Gravitation', an ability that lets her control gravity. She is obsessed with money and became a mercenary to earn tons of it. After the PF Zero Blast, she reappeared alongside Blade and Solva and finished off Hatfield. She and Solva remained behind to defend the town from future attacks.
- Solva (ソルヴァ)
- Voiced by: Asami Imai (Japanese), Elizabeth Bunch (English)
- Solva is a young girl with magnets in her hair. Her fragment, which is 'Magnetism', grants her power to manipulate metals and create a magnetic shock wave. Disc mentioned that her fragment is a unique magnetic field and that she can repel almost every attack in a hundred meter radius. She is sweet and charming on the outside but is a menace and a sadistic person on the inside. Solva is the leader of a gang of bandits called The Predators. After being defeated by Blade and Seto, she seems to have become Seto's partner, when Blade left them. She is a megalomaniac, in which her desire is for everyone to bow down before her as the ruler of Black Spot. After the PF Zero Blast, she reappeared along Blade and Seto and killed Hatfield. She and Seto remained behind to defend the town from future attacks.
Simeon Upper Management (Arclight Faction)
- Adam Arclight (アダム・アークライト Adamu・Aakuraito )
- Voiced by: Hiroki Tōchi (Japanese), David Matranga (English)
- Adam Arclight is a mysterious man clad in red (dark blue in the manga), he has the same hair color and an identical body appearance as Blade, and he has a metal collar engraved with the characters '079.AA.' affixed to his neck. Through unknown means he rose trough the ranks of Simeon and took over interests in the Black Spot, building the Simeon Tower, and initiating the Needless Hunt. His fragment 'Positive Feedback Zero', is an ability that allows him to learn the attacks of his enemies, after being hit by it or seeing it, also being able to combine other abilities learned as well. In addition, it will be stronger than the original, and more powerful each time it is used.
- Riru Roukakuji (楼閣寺離瑠 Roukakuji Riru )
- Voiced by: Megumi Toyoguchi (Japanese), Taylor Hannah (English)
- Riru Roukakuji is a well endowed woman, always seen with a fan, and she is one of the Four Elite of the Simeon Tower and the right-hand woman of Archlight. She is the leader of the Simeon Girl Squadron. Her fragment is 'Psychokinesis', a form of telekinesis and she is possibly the only one who possesses it, as hinted by Disc that this ability is pretty rare and the most powerful out of all fragments. She used to rule her own Black Spot until she met Arclight. She is in a relationship with Arclight and sees all his forms as beautiful.
- Saten (左天)
- Voiced by: Kishō Taniyama (Japanese), Leraldo Anzaldua (English)
- Saten is another one of the Four Elite of the Simeon Tower and the left-hand man of Arclight, sporting a cape (dark blue in the manga but green and yellow in the anime). He has been Arclight's follower longer than any of the other current strongest. He seems to have his own agenda however, as he withholds information from Arclight including where Blade lives. His fragment 'Dai Yon Haddou' (or 'The Fourth Wave' in English) allows him to absorb thermal energy and redirect it in various ways. Some of the observed uses include freezing objects by absorbing their heat, creating wind gusts by manipulating the pressure in the air around him (altering its temperature), and releasing absorbed energy as a powerful thermal wave.
- Uten (右天)
- Voiced by: Mayumi Yamaguchi (Japanese), Greg Ayres (English)
- Uten is another one of the Four Elite of the Simeon Tower and the right-hand man of Arclight. His fragmenet is 'Bermuda Athport', which allows him to turn anything transparent. He hides this with hidden knives and guns and other tricks to make it seem like he has the power to create anything out of thin air. He is a true magician who only seems amazing until the trick is discovered. He is defeated and killed by Eve when Cruz exposed his power. Its revealed that Uten is not his real name but the name he took when he became Arclight's hand.
- Aruka Schild (アルカ・シルト Aruka・Shirudo )
- Voiced by: Mariya Ise (Japanese), Maggie Flecknoe (Episode 1), Carli Mosier (Episodes 14-24) (English)
- Aruka Schild is the older sister of Cruz Schild as well as a member of the resistance force that were massacred by Simeon, usually wearing featureless white masks. She was believed to have died while protecting Cruz from a Testament. In reality, she is the final member of the Four Elite of the Simeon Tower and the one that leaked the resistance's information to Simeon. Her fragment, 'Agni Schiwatas' (or 'Flame God's Breath' in English) allows her to speed up kinetic energy resulting in massive explosion and melting solid objects. Like Cruz, she can also analyze the abilities and weaknesses of others, using this insight along with her power to crush her enemies in seconds.
- Kafka (カフカ Kafuka )
- Voiced by: Fuminori Komatsu (Japanese), Chris Patton (English)
- Kafuka is the first Needless to be defeated by both Blade and Eve. He works for Simeon and was an assassin sent out to kill Blade. His fragment 'Kandata String' allows him to generate powerful threads from his body, also create variations in the form of strings of cloth and tentacles. He is one of three members in a special group called the "Flea Team", alongside Gregoire and Zamusa, tasked to scout for information.
- Gregoire (グレゴール Guregōru )
- Gregoire is a woman seen at the meeting after the battle at Simeon Tower. She has pointed ears, reportedly linked to her fragment which is called 'Hell's Ear', which allow her to hear any conversation. She is one of three members in a special group called the "Flea Team", alongside Kafka and Zamusa, tasked to scout for information.
- Zamusa (ザムザ)
- Zamusa is a man seen at the meeting after the battle at Simeon Tower. His fragment 'Clairvoyance' allows him to see to solid objects. He is one of three members in a special group called the "Flea Team", alongside Kafka and Gregoire, tasked to scout for information.
- Hatfield (ハットフィールド Hattofīrudo )
- Hatfield is a Needless in dandy clothes, complete with a hat, suit and cane. He is an extremely intelligent and crafty villain His fragment, which is called 'Rainmaker', allows him to summon and control rain, as well as manipulate water into any kinds of weapon, including hammer and razor blades. His signature attack is 'Rain Laser', which fires super compressed streams of water that can pierce through even steel or diamonds. Hatfield states that only a few Needless can actually challenge him in an outdoor fight. He was able to defeat his enemies single-handed without so much as taking a single hit. Hatfield fights in a way he thinks is gentlemanly in that he allows his opponents the chance to attack him as a group, but he is not above using underhand methods to win if things do not go his way.
- Ishiyama (いしやま)
- Voiced by: Mitsuo Senda (Japanese), Chris Ayres (English)
- A member of the Triple Six Committee. His Fragment allows him to look into other's memories. He also has displayed superhuman athleticism and stick to walls.
Simeon Girl Squadron
- Setsuna (セツナ)
- Voiced by: Saori Gotō (Japanese), Jessica Boone (English)
- Setsuna is another one of three the members of The Simeon Girl Squadron. She seems to be the leader of the three as well as the oldest. Her fragment is 'Speed', being able to travel at speeds.
- Kuchinashi (梔)
- Voiced by: Minori Chihara (Japanese), Hilary Haag (English)
- Kuchinashi is another one of the three members of the Simeon Girl Squadron. A silent girl whose fragment is 'Fragrance', an ability that can control the brain and nervous system of the body once they inhale it. The scent of her fragment comes from a large fan on her left arm. She writes what she wants to say on a notepad. After Kurumi was killed, Kuchinashi used her most powerful fragrance 'Lilith Temptation', which makes people see their greatest desire. But it failed on Blade because he already had his desire, to be in a room full of cute girls.
- Mio (未央)
- Voiced by: Yui Makino (Japanese), Hilary Haag (English)
- Mio is one of the three members of The Simeon Girl Squadron. She appears to be the youngest out of the three by both appearance and the way she speaks. Her fragment is 'Power', giving her superhuman strength. She has an affection for Blade, and is one of the few people in the series who refers to Cruz by his name.
- Kurumi (胡桃)
- Voiced by: Yū Shimamura (Japanese), Lesley Tesh (English)
- Kurumi, Though not a member of the Simeon Girl Squadron, fought with them in the battle of the Third Shelter. Her fragment is 'Black Attraction', which allows her to implant ESP Viruses into people to control their thoughts and their actions. Kurumi's fragment is not meant for battle so that makes her only an observer.
- Nanami (七海)
- Voiced by: Mayuko Takahashi
- Nanami is a member of a rival girl squad team of Setsuna's, her fate is much different between manga and anime. In the manga, Nanami was paralyzed by Kuchinashi and thrown into a wall by Mio, killing her, after it is revealed that she made them look bad. In the anime she loses a contest to Setsuna's three girl team and is humiliated. Her fragment gave her the power over water.
- Misaki (美咲)
- Voiced by: Megumi Toyoguchi
- Misaki is another member of a rival girl squad team of Setsuna's, her fate is much different between manga and anime. As it was revealed that they had told Ruri of a failure on Mio's part, Setsuna use her fragment ability and went behind Misaki and stab her hand through Misaki's abdomen, killing her. In the anime she is humiliated along with Nanami. Her fragment allowed her to control land.
- Rin (凜)
- Rin is introduced as a student of the normal class in St. Rose Academy. She is a member of the newspaper club and is the culprit behind the "Invisible Bomber" incidents. Rin hid the fact she was a Needless from St. Rose in order to stay in the normal class because the Needless class had the risk of death during training. The reason behind the bombings were to kill off the top students in the normal class so that she would make it over the cut line and be placed in the active squad. Her fragment is called 'Bionic Compressor', which allows her to increase air pressure. She is defeated by the Black Madam and is expelled from St. Rose Academy.
- The Black Madam (マダム・ブラック Madamu・Burakku )
- The Black Madam is the headmistress of St. Rose Academy. She is the one who oversees young Needless girls training them into killer girls. She strongly believes in the ideals of the academy, stating that in the language of flowers, the "rose" stands for "beauty, "maiden, and secrets". This belief is so strong that the Black Madam was not angry when at the fact that Rin killed her fellow students, but rather it was for the cowardly way she killed them and for letting her power to make her conceited and unladylike. The Black Madam dresses like a Victorian aristocrat complete with an umbrella, outfitted with steel. She states her reason is because she believes that damage is identified by the amount of damage the wearers clothes have, therefore she cannot be harmed by what she wears. Her fragment is called 'Wind', giving her control over wind.
- Kanna (カンナ)
- Voiced by: Kei Shindō (Japanese), Stephanie Wittels (English)
- Kanna is a young girl who apparently attacked Solva and her group along with her two henchmen. She seemed to control both fire and ice. In reality it was through a machinery behind her throne and Solva and her group were the bandits. Kanna defends her fathers treasure, the only patch of land in the Black Spot where flowers grow. Giant sunflowers to be specific. Much later, Cruz's search for Seto and Solva led them to Kanna's town only to find that Simeon had taken it over, With Kanna and her two helpers currently fighting them. It is also revealed that Kanna really is a Needless whose fragment is 'Over Technology', giving her the power to wield pieces of metal into complex machines as long as her idea of design is very specific and complex.
- Zakard (ザカート)
- Voiced by: Hiroshi Tsuchida (Japanese), Justin Doran (English)
- Zakard is the leader of the Black Spot resistance. He and his group attempted to stop Arclight from conquering the Black Spot and murdering innocent Needless. Zakard was very observant, suspecting Aruka from the start but realizing that Cruz was a truly honest soul. So he gave Cruz a pendent with her picture saying it was from her, not telling him it actually contained the data chip Arclight wanted so badly. However he did fall for the Aruka's trap and he and his resistance were faced with Arclight and the Four Elite. Zakard personally fought Arclight. Zakard was in truth a Needless with a powerful fragment called 'Boulder Avalanche', which allowed him to make an armor of regenerative rock form around him. But Zakard was still dominated and destroyed by Arclight and his many copied fragments. But Zakard was still defiant to the end, and denied Arclight what he most wanted for a while.
- Secondaria (セカンダリ Sekandari )
- Secondaria is a maid who reported to Saten during the initial fight in the Third Shelter.
- Strom (ストレム Sutoremu )
- Strom is one of the most powerful Needless with ice abilities with dark skin and a bizarre fashion sense that steams from his daughters personal taste. His personality while fighting is like his fragment, cold and brutal. He does not hesitate to give blows that would cripple or kill his enemies, the exception seen is with woman which may steam from his daughter's influence, and he finds pleasure in fighting and destroying his opponents. Saten has stated that Strom is the one Needless (other than Arclight) that Saten can not win against due to Strom having the power to rob Saten of all the heat he can utilize with his fragment.
Other characters, organizations, and places
Large spider-like machines built by Simeon to patrol areas and destroy resistance forces. They are formidable opponents, able to heavily injure Blade before being dispatched. Ruri has been secretly building massive Testaments for the latest Simeon controlled area. Also, Disc has an armada of refurbished Testaments for her protection at Iron Mountain.
A large pharmaceutical and technology research organization. It was said that Simeon conducted human experiments for the purpose of immortality. The company appears to have great influence throughout Japan. The Black Spot branch is headed by Adam Arclight himself, and is his base of power.
A mysterious base that is said to hold almost all of mankind's history. It was assumed to be destroyed during WWIII, but appears to be in perfect condition. In the anime, its only inhabitants are Disc and her battalion of Testaments.
The Second Christ
A man who emerged from the wreckage of Japan to help the survivors after the Third World War. Considered the original and most powerful Needless, he was capable of using all fragment powers. He was considered the second coming of Christ, and thus known as 'The Second Christ'. After his disappearance, many believed his power was divided and spread to each individual now known as Needless, which is why their power is called Fragment. But what he truly was, how he came into existence is unknown. In Episode 21 of the Anime, it was suggested that The Second Christ was murdered by the Triple Six Committee, claiming that too many enemy nations are after his blood.
An anime adaptation of the original manga began airing on Tokyo MX on July 2, 2009. Directed by Masayuki Sakoi. There are 24 episodes. The thirteenth episode had been reported as the finale but this was proved false upon its airing. The opening theme is "Modern Strange Cowboy" by GRANRODEO and the ending is "Aggressive Zone" by Needless★Girls, composed of the voice actresses of the series, Aya Endo, Eri Kitamura, Emiri Katō, Saori Gotō and Yui Makino. The second opening is "Scarlet Bomb!" by Aki Misato and the second ending is "WANTED! for the love" by Needless★Girls. Japanese progressive thrash metal band Gargoyle also contributed the songs "Magma Kid" and "Shi ni Itaru Kizu" to the show's official soundtrack.
North American anime distributor Section23 Films announced that Sentai Filmworks has licensed the series and would release the series. The first complete set was shipped on Blu-ray and DVD February 11, 2011. The second complete set was released on April 12, 2011.
The anime has considerably toned down the gore and violence of the manga, however the fanservice has been increased. But the most noticeable change is that the anime follows only until the moment where the PF Zero blast should occur. Instead of Arclight spreading Cruz's friends and leading to the second part of the story, the anime ends with a final fight against Arclight in the Simeon Building.
"Adamu ・ Bureido" (アダム・ブレイド)
|July 2, 2009|
|Cruz Schild, a survivor of the uprising against the Simeon Tower, is saved by Adam Blade, a destroyer priest, who destroys a Testament in pursuit, nearly taking his life. Gido treats Blade in a church, and Eve Neuschwanstein later meets with the rest there. Eve scolds Cruz for what his resistance group has started against Simeon, causing him to run away to an abandoned shelter. An assassin sent from the Simeon Tower named Kafka attempts to kill Cruz, but Blade and Eve come to the rescue. Kafka tries to entangle Blade with his threads, but the latter easily breaks free. Eve duplicates Cruz's appearance and switches places with him as a distraction. Blade then learns how to control his own threads to defeat Kafka.|
"Ivu ・ Noishuvanshutain" (イヴ・ノイシュヴァンシュタイン)
|July 9, 2009|
|While Cruz helps buy Eve a specific type of soft drink near a warehouse, the two encounter Uten, one of the four elite from the Simeon Tower. Uten, expressing his tricks as a magician using barriers, attacks Eve with a barrage of knives, putting her at a disadvantage. Then, he creates a bed of nails on the ground, trapping them on a floating platform. After Eve shields herself using the soft drink, Cruz figures out from the splashes that the floor is actually invisible. As Uten's power of transparency is exposed, Eve transforms her arm into a drill to break through the concrete wall Uten was hiding behind, cancelling out his power and uncovering the surrounding area.|
"Teruyama Momiji" (照山最次)
|July 16, 2009|
|A mysterious man with flame powers named Momiji Teruyama goes inside the church, on a mission to kill a man named "Adam". Blade reveals his name as such and challenges Teruyama to a duel, while Eve takes Cruz to a safe place to hide. Soon enough, Blade learns how to control flames and punches Teruyama. The two go outside, where Teruyama launches a giant fireball at Blade. After dodging the attack, Blade learns how to launch his own fireball and combines it with threads for a surprise attack. Gido realizes that Teruyama was not sent from the Simeon Tower to find Blade. Instead, Teruyama says he was searching for Adam Arclight, the head of the Simeon Tower, having to apologize for the confusion.|
|July 23, 2009|
|With his body becoming fragile, Arclight send three girls from the Simeon Girl Squadron to have Blade captured to have his body replaced. Teruyama leads Blade, Eve, Cruz, and Gido underground to talk to an informant via secret computer, who tells the group to meet at Iron Mountain for information about Arclight. During a long journey, the group sees some thugs harassing a young girl. Blade, with his flaw of his attraction to young girls, immediately takes down the thugs. The girl, recognized as Mio, follows the group to Iron Mountain, where they enter a laboratory filled with rebuilt Testaments. After making past all the death traps, they finally meet the informant named Disc, a cyborg who appears to be a young girl, who states that Blade is one of the failed clones of "The Second Christ".|
|5||"Simeon Girl Squadron"
"Shimeon shōjo butai" (シメオン少女部隊)
|July 30, 2009|
|Two girls of the Simeon Girl Squadron, Setsuna and Kuchinashi, infiltrate the laboratory and destroy the rebuilt Testaments sent out by Disc. Eve fights Setsuna, one who can attack at great speeds, while Blade battles Kuchinashi, one who sprays a fragrance that allows her to paralyze and control his body. Afterwards, Disc activates the defense walls to prevent Eve and Blade from further damage. Mio then asks Cruz to the restroom, handing him her stuffed teddy bear, which turns out to be very heavy, and knocks him unconscious. She is revealed as the third member of the Simeon Girl Squadron, having the ability of power, which gives her superhuman strength. Mio carries Cruz and exits with Setsuna and Kuchinashi out of the laboratory after Eve duplicated Setsuna's appearance to sound the alarm. However, Eve switch bodies with Cruz during that time, and she tries to take them all on. In the end, she ends up being their hostage.|
|August 6, 2009|
|Disc decides to join the group to search for Eve and face the Simeon Girl Squadron. Meanwhile, Eve has escaped from the Simeon Girl Squadron when they took a brief stop. The squadron finds a mansion armed with the security system named Goldy Locks. Eve is there as well, looking for something to replenish her energy. The squadron fall through many traps while trying to find Eve in the kitchen. After entering the bank vault, with Eve setting off the alarm, the four girls are sent down a tunnel to the cannon, blasting them out into the sky. At the church, Disc and the others see a live broadcast Arclight on screen in the sky, mandating the citizens to attend an inaugural event in the Simeon Tower at noon the following day. After the squadron returns to the tower, Eve is then held captive inside.|
"Adamu ・ Aakuraito" (アダム・アークライト)
|August 13, 2009|
|Riru Roukakuji, leader of the Simeon Girl Squadron, sends Setsuna, Kuchinashi, and Mio on a mission to retrieve a golden safe from Bank Vonsanger against their rivals, Nanami and Misaki, to see who will truly represent the squadron for the inaugural event. Nanami and Misaki arrive there and use their respective powers of water and earth to tear up the bank and restrain the bank owner. Setsuna, Kuchinashi, and Mio, first misled by the location, later arrive and cause further destruction, then manage to obtain the safe. During the inaugural event, a resistance group tries to charge at Arclight, but they are easily overpowered and consumed by him. However, Blade comes after Arclight, after the latter tried to apprehend two children.|
"Roukakuji Riru" (楼閣寺離瑠)
|August 20, 2009|
"Dai 3 sherutā" (第3シェルター)
|August 27, 2009|
|10||"Seto & Solva"
"Seto × Solva" (セト×ソルヴァ)
|September 3, 2009|
"Burakku ・ Atorakushon" (ブラック・アトラクション)
|September 10, 2009|
|September 17, 2009|
|September 24, 2009|
"Ririsu ・ Tenputēshon" (リリス・テンプテーション)
|October 1, 2009|
"Dai shi hadō" (第四波動)
|October 8, 2009|
"Aruka ・ Shirudo" (アルカ・シルド)
|October 15, 2009|
|October 22, 2009|
|October 29, 2009|
|19||"Positive Feedback Zero"
"Pojitibufīdobakku ・ Zero" (ポジティブフィードバック・ゼロ)
|November 5, 2009|
|20||"A - B"||November 12, 2009|
|21||"A - A"||November 19, 2009|
|22||"The Triple Six Committee"
"666-Ri iinkai (Toripurushikkusu)" (666人委員会（トリプルシックス）)
|November 26, 2009|
|December 3, 2009|
"Kurusu ・ Shiruto" (クルス・シルト)
|December 10, 2009|
- "Anime of Kami Imai Needless Manga Reportedly Leaked". Anime News Network. 2009-02-06. Retrieved 2009-10-14.
- "Section23 Films Adds Needless TV Series". Anime News Network. 2010-11-09.
- "Section23 Films Announcs April Slate". Anime News Network. 2011-01-17.
- Official website (Japanese)
- Needless (manga) at Anime News Network's Encyclopedia
- Needless (anime) at Anime News Network's Encyclopedia