Needtobreathe performing in October 2008. Left to right: Bo Rinehart, Joe Stillwell, Bear Rinehart, Seth Bolt.
|Origin||Seneca, South Carolina, U.S.|
|Genres||Alternative rock, Christian rock, Southern rock|
|Labels||Atlantic, Word, Sparrow|
|Past members||Joe Stillwell|
Needtobreathe (stylised as NEEDTOBREATHE) is an American alternative rock band from Seneca, South Carolina The band is composed of Bear Rinehart (lead vocals, guitar, piano), Bo Rinehart (backing vocals, guitar), Seth Bolt (backing vocals, bass). They have released four studio albums: Daylight (2006), The Heat (2007), The Outsiders (2009), The Reckoning (2011), and Rivers in the Wasteland (2014).
Brothers William Stanley "Bear" Rinehart III and Nathaniel Bryant "Bo" Rinehart were raised in Possum Kingdom, South Carolina, and later moved to Seneca where they started performing. The brothers first preformed in front of mostly coffee house audiences at Furman University, where Bear, who was named after University of Alabama football coach Bear Bryant, was a standout wide receiver for the Furman Paladins football team, winning the 2002 Banks McFadden trophy for South Carolina football player of the year. After graduation, Bear, Bo and Joe Stillwell joined with Seth Bolt in 2002, releasing independent albums that were recorded in bassist Seth Bolt's Plantation Studios.
Having studied recording engineering at Full Sail University, Bolt's own Plantation Studios was home to the band while recording EPs. These, coupled with touring brought the band to the attention of Lava Records owned by Universal Music Group and who signed the band in 2005.
After signing with both Atlantic Records and Sparrow Records, the band went to the UK to record their first studio album, Daylight, with producer Andy Green. Its first radio single "You Are Here" was released early in 2006. Just prior to their debut release, the band was featured on the cover of CCM Magazine—an unprecedented new artist endorsement by the national publication. Daylight was then released on April 4, 2006.
Needtobreathe started pre-production for their second studio album The Heat in late 2006 at Seth Bolt's Old Plantation studio. In the beginning of 2007, the band started a six-month recording period at both Rick Beato's Black Dog Studio in their hometown Seneca and Ed Roland's Tree Sounds in Atlanta. The Heat was then released on August 28, 2007 through Atlantic Records and Word Entertainment.
In 2008, Needtobreathe was nominated for two Dove Awards at the 39th annual GMA Dove Awards. Their song "Signature of Divine (Yahweh)" received a nomination for "Rock/Contemporary Recorded Song of the Year", and The Heat was nominated for "Rock/Contemporary Album of the Year". In 2009, Needtobreathe's song "Washed by the Water" was nominated and won the Dove Award for "Rock/Contemporary Song of the Year" at the 40th annual GMA Dove Awards.
"More Time" was included on the soundtrack for the 2007 film P.S. I Love You.
The band's third album, The Outsiders was released on August 25, 2009, peaking at No. 20 on the Billboard 200 and No. 2 on the Hot Christian Albums. The first single for the album, "Lay 'Em Down", peaked at No. 4 on the Hot Christian Songs chart. The single "Something Beautiful" peaked at No. 12 on the Triple A chart and No. 6 on the Hot Christian Songs chart. "Hurricane" peaked at No. 29 on the Alternative chart, their first success at Alternative radio. The title song of the album, "The Outsiders", peaked at No. 11 on the Triple A chart.
The album The Reckoning was released on September 20, 2011, peaking at No. 6 on the Billboard 200. "Slumber" was the album's first single and peaked at No. 26 on the Christian rock charts while "Drive All Night" is the album's second single.
Prove the Poets Wrong
"Prove the Poets Wrong" is a film by Eric Ryan Anderson released on December 17, 2013 on Youtube.  It chronicles their Spring and Summer 2013 Tours, line up changes and revisits their origins as a band.
Rivers in the Wasteland
- William Stanley "Bear" Rinehart III (born September 6, 1980 in Greenville, South Carolina) of – lead vocals, guitar, piano, organ, harmonica
- Nathaniel Bryant "Bo" Rinehart (born December 31, 1981 in Conway, South Carolina) – lead guitar, banjo, mandolin, backing vocals
- Seth Bolt – bass, mandolin, backing vocals
- Josh Lovelace – keyboards, backing vocals
- Randall Harris – drums
- Former members
- Joe Stillwell – drums
- David Leonard (formerly of Jackson Waters, now of All Sons & Daughters; touring member only) – keyboards
In July 2012, Joe Stillwell, the band's drummer for 13 years announced his decision to leave the band.
- Daylight (2006)
- The Heat (2007)
- The Outsiders (2009)
- The Reckoning (2011)
- Rivers in the Wasteland (2014)
|2008||Rock/Contemporary Recorded Song of the Year ("Signature of Divine")||Nominated|
|Rock/Contemporary Album of the Year (The Heat)||Nominated|
|2009||Rock/Contemporary Recorded Song of the Year ("Washed by the Water")||Won|
|2010||Group of the Year||Won|
|Rock/Contemporary Recorded Song of the Year ("Lay 'Em Down")||Won|
|Rock/Contemporary Album of the Year (The Outsiders)||Won|
|2011||Group of the Year||Won|
|Rock/Contemporary Recorded Song of the Year ("Something Beautiful")||Won|
|2012||Group of the Year||Won|
|Rock/Contemporary Recorded Song of the Year ("Slumber")||Won|
|Rock/Contemporary Album of the Year (The Reckoning)||Won|
|2013||Short Form Video ("Keep Your Eyes Open")||Nominated|
|Rock/Contemporary Recorded Song of the Year ("Keep Your Eyes Open")||Won|
- "CBS College Sports". Retrieved July 20, 2006.
- Artist Biography by Marisa Brown. "Needtobreathe | Biography". AllMusic. Retrieved February 27, 2014.
- "Needtobreathe - Biography". Billboard. Retrieved February 27, 2014.
- "Sparrow and Atlantic Launch Needtobreathe". Prodigal Son Magazine. January 17, 2006. Retrieved July 25, 2008.
- "Gasp! Debut Act NEEDTOBREATHE Lands CCM Cover Story". Top40-Charts.com. April 3, 2006. Retrieved September 5, 2008.
- Thompson, John J. (April 2006). This Year's Model. CCM Magazine Archives. Retrieved 2012-8-4, from SalemWeb.net
- "Needtobreathe – Daylight". Billboard. Retrieved August 7, 2008.[dead link]
- "Word Records – Needtobreathe". WordRecords.com. Retrieved August 6, 2008.
- "Needtobreathe Brings "The Heat"". Your Music Zone. Archived from the original on March 28, 2008. Retrieved August 6, 2008.
- "Needtobreathe – The Heat". Billboard. Retrieved August 6, 2008.[dead link]
- 39th Annual GMA Dove Awards – Nominees, DoveAwards.com
- "Needtobreathe Discography". Jesus Freak Hideout. Retrieved April 20, 2009.
- Kaufman, Gil (September 28, 2011). "Tony Bennett Scores First #1 On Billboard 200 - Music, Celebrity, Artist News". MTV.com. Retrieved January 4, 2014.
- "Prove The Poets Wrong".
- "Rivers in The Wasteland Available 04.15.14". PuregrainAudio.com. Retrieved January 14, 2014.
- Furman Football (2000). "2000 Furman Player Profiles". Furman University. Retrieved April 16, 2014.
- Ancestors and Descendants of James Elihu Rinehart. "Information about William S Rinehart, Jr.". FamilyTreeMaker.Genealogy.com. Retrieved April 16, 2014.
- Staff (August 20, 2010). "Cornerstone Assembly of God welcomes new pastor". The Anderson Independent-Mail. Retrieved April 16, 2014.
- NEEDTOBREATHE (December 31, 2013). "How big is your birthday cake ...". Twitter. Retrieved April 16, 2014.
- "NEEDTOBREATHE.NET/Blog - From Joe".
- "Dove Awards History Artist: Casting Crowns". Gospel Music Association. Retrieved November 16, 2009.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Needtobreathe.|