|City of Needville|
Location of Needville, Texas
|• Total||1.7 sq mi (4.4 km2)|
|• Land||1.7 sq mi (4.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||89 ft (27 m)|
|• Density||1,532.5/sq mi (591.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1342402|
Needville is located at (29.398232, -95.839880).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 1.7 square miles (4.4 km2), all of it land.
State Highway 36 (SH 36) links Needville with Rosenberg to the north and Damon to the south. Farm to Market Road 360 starts at SH 36 and heads northwest to Beasley while Farm to Market Road 1236 goes southwest then southeast. Needville-Fairchilds Road connects with the community of Fairchilds to the northeast.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,609 people, 926 households, and 688 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,532.5 people per square mile (592.6/km2). There were 979 housing units at an average density of 575.1 per square mile (222.3/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 74.09% White, 13.19% African American, 0.27% Native American, 0.11% Asian, 10.23% from other races, and 2.11% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 23.96% of the population.
The median income for a household in the city was $41,202, and the median income for a family was $48,824. Males had a median income of $35,200 versus $26,389 for females. The per capita income for the city was $17,802. About 8.9% of families and 11.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 16.8% of those under age 18 and 18.8% of those age 65 or over.
Government and infrastructure
August Schendel founded the town of Schendelville in 1891. In 1894, he applied for a post office using the name "Needmore" as a joke, since they always needed more of everything. Due to Needmore, Texas already existing, the post office amended the name to Needville.
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (December 2008)|
- The Needville Harvest Festival, founded in 1983, is held every October. The festival is organized by NHF, Inc. to draw visitors to Needville in the hope of stimulating local business, to raise funds for community development, and to fund annual scholarships for local high school students. 2006 performance by Aaron Watson.
- The Creekside Hunting and Fishing Show is held every Spring on the campus of Creekside Christian Fellowship in Needville. This is a free event that features exhibitors of hunting and fishing equipment, dog and shooting clinics, shooting competitions and demonstrations.
- The Needville Citywide Garage Sale is held in March and September each year. There is no website as the participants are homeowners and businesses. Information with a map is normally available at Kinfolks Antiques at 979-793-7200. Dates can be found on the Chamber of Commerce calendar of events.
Needville is zoned to schools in the Needville Independent School District. High school students go to Needville High School. Needville's Albert George Branch Library is a part of the Fort Bend County Libraries system.
Albert George Branch Library of Fort Bend County Libraries is in Needville. The library, which opened in November 1974, was named after Fort Bend County philanthropist Albert George. The Needville Chamber of Commerce and the Needville Lion's Club donated the land for the library. Originally the library, with its first portion designed by Wylie W. Vale & Associates, had 4,900 square feet (460 m2) of space. In 1997 the library system used bond funds to expand and renovate the library; the library gained a new entrance, a meeting room, and new toilet facilities. The library now has 6,800 square feet (630 m2) of space.
Parks and recreation
Fort Bend County operates the Barbara Jordan Park in Needville.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Google Inc. "Needville, Texas". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Needville,+Texas&hl=en&sll=31.168934,-100.076842&sspn=13.796406,28.212891&hnear=Needville,+Fort+Bend,+Texas&t=m&z=12. Retrieved May 6, 2013.
- "Post Office Location - NEEDVILLE." United States Postal Service. Retrieved on December 6, 2008.
- "Albert George Branch Library." Fort Bend County Libraries. Retrieved on May 14, 2010.
- "Leased Parks." Fort Bend County. Retrieved on October 11, 2009.
- Needville Area Chamber of Commerce
- Needville Independent School District
- Creekside Hunting and Fishing Show
- George Ranch Historical Park photos, hosted by The Portal to Texas History
- Needville Fire Department