Neengalum Vellalam Oru Kodi
|Neengalum Vellalam Oru Kodi|
|Country of origin||India|
|No. of seasons||2|
|Running time||90 minutes|
|Production company(s)||BIG Synergy|
|Original channel||STAR Vijay|
|Original run||27 February 2012– 12 July 2013|
Neengalum Vellalam Oru Kodi (English: You too can win one crore), officially abbreviated as NVOK, is an Indian game show presented in Tamil. It is the official Indian Tamil adaptation of the internationally renowned Sony Pictures Television-owned game show Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? and its successful Hindi adaptation Kaun Banega Crorepati.
Since its inaugural episode on 27 February 2012, the show has aired on STAR Vijay. The show's first season was hosted by Suriya until its end on 12 July 2012. The show's second season, hosted by Prakash Raj, commenced on 11 March 2013 and ended on 12 July 2013.
K. Sriram, the general manager of STAR Vijay, claimed Neengalum Vellalam Oru Kodi to be "the first international format to hit the Tamil television screens". On the contrary, there was an earlier show named Deala No Deala, the Tamil adaptation of Deal or No Deal, which aired on Sun TV briefly in 2009–2010.
Neengalum Vellalam Oru Kodi is unrelated to the show Ungalil Yaar Maha Latchathipathi, the official Sri Lankan Tamil adaptation of Who Wants to be a Millionaire which aired since 2011. R. Sarathkumar had hosted a show titled Kodeeswaran, which followed a similar format and aired on Sun TV earlier.
In April 2011, Business Standard reported that actor Prakash Raj would host the licensed Tamil edition of the Hindi game show Kaun Banega Crorepati, which was then titled Ungalil Yaar Kodeeswaran. Actor Vijay was also considered to host the reality game show, but he declined the offer. Eventually, it was confirmed that actor Suriya would host the show.
The title of Kaun Banega Crorepati 's Tamil version was later confirmed as Neengalum Vellalam Oru Kodi. Suriya was initially apprehensive as the show marked his television debut, but after seeing the game format, he was "convinced it would work". The episodes for Neengalum Vellalam Oru Kodi were shot at AVM Studios in Chennai, where its Malayalam equivalent Ningellukum Akam Kodeishwaran was also shot. Suriya was agreed to be paid 5 million (US$79,000) per episode, and 40 episodes were planned for Neengalum Vellalam Oru Kodi, although it was earlier reported that 80 episodes were planned.
In December 2012, Suriya stated that he could not host the second season due to his prior commitments. Subsequently, Prakash Raj, who was earlier considered for the show's first season, and whose previous appearance on television was in the 2003 Tamil serial Sahana, was finalized to host the show, making his debut as a television host.
The contestants must undergo an initial round of "Fastest Finger First", in which the host introduces the ten contestants of the episode and asks them all the same question. The contestants must then arrange the answers in the order described in the question. The contestant that places the four options in the correct order in the fastest time gets the chance to go on the "hotseat", i.e. playing the main game. All contestants must be over the age of 18 and a citizen and resident of India in order to be eligible. The person must not be a former contestant of the show and must be able to converse well in English or Tamil languages.
Each player will be asked fifteen questions, the prizes starting at 1000 (US$16) and leading up to 1 crore (US$160,000). The first five questions are considered to be relatively easy. The player has 30 seconds per question. The second five are relatively harder. The time limit for these are 45 seconds per question. The final five are considered to be the most difficult hard and become increasingly more so. These have no timer. There can be, and generally is, more than one player per episode.
The show's host asks each contestant a number of multiple-choice questions. Of the four options only one is correct. Players answer correctly to win an amount of money. They are then shown the next question and four answers. Successive questions are worth a greater sum of money. In most cases this is double the previous sum. Players who answer question numbers five and ten correctly find themselves in a situation where their winnings are "safe". This means they will not lose their winnings under any circumstances. This allows the players to hazard a guess for question six and question eleven. Players answering a question incorrectly are eliminated from the game and their winnings go back to the previous "safe" amount. If the contestant was in the process of answering questions one to five, the safe amount would be zero; for those answering questions six to ten, the safe amount will be 10000 (US$160), and for questions eleven to fifteen, it will be 320000 (US$5,000). Players can decide to stop at any time, after seeing the next question, and take the winnings they have accumulated up to that point.
For assistance, the contestant can use one, two or all three "lifelines" at any time during the game. Contestants can use a lifeline when they are undecided which answer is correct. A contestant can use each lifeline only once. He can also use all lifelines on one question.
- 50-50: When the player chooses this lifeline, the host tells the computer to randomly eliminate two of the "wrong" answers. This will leave one right answer and one randomly selected wrong answer.
- Audience Poll: The host repeats the question to the studio audience. When requested, the audience must now press a button in front of them within ten seconds to indicate which option they think is correct answer. The computer then displays the results as a percentage to help the player make a choice.
- Phone A Friend: With this lifeline, the player may call one of up to three pre-arranged friends and ask for help. The host calls the player's friend and introduces him/her to the viewers. The question is only read out by the contestant to the phone friend once the host allows him or her to. The phone friend has 30 seconds to hear the question and answer.
|Ma Ka Pa Anand and Bhavana||1,60,000|
|Sivakarthikeyan and Kalyani||10,000|
|Senthil and Rajasekar||6,40,000|
|Divyadarshini and Deepak||1,60,000|
|Jagan and Ramya||3,20,000|
|Vimal, Anjali, Shiva and Oviya||80,000|
|Jayam Ravi and M. Raja||12,50,000|
|Srinivas and Nithyashree Mahadevan||6,40,000|
|Naresh Iyer and Haricharan||6,40,000|
|Benny Dayal and Swetha Mohan||6,40,000|
|Sathyaraj and Radha||6,40,000|
|Prathap Pothan and Kushboo Sundar||6,40,000|
|Nadhiya and Rahman||6,40,000|
|Suhasini and Mohan||12,50,000|
|Kamal Haasan and Gouthami||50,00,000|
|Prasanna and Sneha||12,50,000|
Initial reception to the first season of Neengalum Vellalam Oru Kodi was generally negative, though the show eventually garnered a large viewership and recorded huge TRP ratings. A major criticism was in the questions asked to players, that were thought to be of lower-than-usual difficulty. K. Sriram, channel head of Vijay TV later pointed out that "the questions were not silly, the options were mocking. The feedback we got was: Don't mock your own questions. We've taken it as constructive feedback and put it to the Big Synergy team". Difficulty level of questions became more accepted among public in later episodes.
- "Surya's NVOK Top's TRP ratings". Supergoodmovies.com. 20 March 2012. Retrieved 2012-05-05.
- "Suriya to host Tamil version of kaun banega crorepati". Sify Movies. 22 December 2011. Retrieved 23 December 2011.
- "FEATURES / METRO PLUS : The guessing game begins". The Hindu. 28 February 2012. Retrieved 2012-07-08.
- "NVOK : Prakash Raj replaces Surya in Neengalum Vellalam Oru KodiTruthDive". Truthdive.com. Retrieved 2013-03-08.
- "Kamal Haasan Makes Television Appearance on 'Neengalum Vellalam Oru Kodi'". International Business Times. March 24, 2013. Retrieved March 24, 2013.
- "Life & Style / Metroplus : Want to win a crore?". The Hindu. 23 December 2011. Retrieved 2012-05-29.
- "Tamil TV Show Deala No Deala". Tamilo.com. 6 December 2009. Retrieved 2012-05-29.
- "Meet Tamil TV's hottest host!". Rediff. 24 September 2010. Retrieved 2012-05-29.
- "Maha Lakshathipathi Season 4". Shakthitv.lk. 2013-02-08. Retrieved 2013-03-15.
- "Actor Suriya to host KBC in Tamil "Kodeeswaran" | Movie News". News.moviegalleri.net. 2011-12-21. Retrieved 2013-03-15.
- "Vikram to enter Television to host Game Show". Idlerelax.com. Retrieved 2013-03-15.
- "Now, KBC to cross language barriers". Business-standard.com. 21 April 2011. Retrieved 2012-06-21.
- "Why Vijay opted out of Tamil KBC?". Kollytalk.com. 24 December 2011. Retrieved 2012-05-29.
- Sudhish Kamath (June 19, 2012). "Setting the stage for stars". The Hindu. Retrieved March 13, 2013.
- "Surya charges a bomb to host Neengalum Vellalam Oru Kodi". Entertainment.oneindia.in. 14 February 2012. Retrieved 2012-05-29.
- "Prakash Raj to replace Suriya in NVOK?". The Times of India. Retrieved March 24, 2013.
- "Prakash Raj steps into the shoes of Surya in NVOK". OneIndia.in. Retrieved March 24, 2013.
- "The game changer". The Hindu. February 14, 2013. Retrieved March 24, 2013.
- "RULES & REGULATIONS GOVERNING PARTICIPATION IN "NEENGALUM VELLALAM ORU KODI"". Retrieved 29 May 2012.
- Makapa and Bhavana in Neengalum vellalam oru Kodi (with Suriya). YouTube (9 April 2012). Retrieved on 2012-05-05.
- Neengalum Vellalam Oru Kodi 04/10/12. YouTube. Retrieved on 2012-05-05.
- Neengalum Vellalam Oru Kodi 04/11/12. YouTube. Retrieved on 2012-05-05.
- Neengalum Vellalam Oru Kodi-NVOK Deepak DD(Divyadarshini) Special. Metromasti.com. Retrieved on 2012-05-05.
- VijayTV Neengalum Vellalam Oru Kodi (NVOK) Gopinath won 12,50,000. Metromasti.com. Retrieved on 2012-05-05.
- Neengalum Vellalam Oru Kodi (NVOK) Anchor Ramya Jagan Special. Metromasti.com. Retrieved on 2012-05-05.
- Ravichandran Ashwin on Neengalum Vellalam Oru Kodi!!. Saveondish.com. Retrieved on 2012-05-05.
- Neengalum Vellalam Oru Kodi 03-05-2012 Special Guest Karthi. Tubetamil.com (16 April 2012). Retrieved on 2012-05-05.
- Neengalum Vellalam Oru Kodi 24-05-12. Tamilkey.com (24 May 2012). Retrieved on 2012-05-29.
- Neengalum Vellalam Oru Kodi 31-05-2012 Special | Vijay Tv game show | Surya | Neengalum Vellalam Oru Kodi 31.05.2012 | Neengalum Vellalam Oru Kodi 31/05/2012 | Neengalum Vella...
- "Neengalum Vellalam Oru Kodi | Srinivas and Nithyashree Mahadevan". Tubetamil.com. Retrieved 2012-07-08.
- Neengalum Vellalam Oru Kodi 02-07-2012 | Vijay Tv game show | Surya | Neengalum Vellalam Oru Kodi 02.07.2012 | Neengalum Vellalam Oru Kodi 02/07/2012 | Neengalum Vellalam Oru Kodi. Tubetamil.com. Retrieved on 2012-07-19.
- Vijay TV Neengalum Vellalam Oru Kodi-NVOK Karthik won Rs.6,40,000. Metromasti.com. Retrieved on 2012-07-19.
- Vijay TV NVOK Benny Dayal & Swetha Mohan Special won Rs. 6,40,000. Metromasti.com. Retrieved on 2012-07-19.
- Neengalum Vellalam Oru Kodi 07/09/12. YouTube. Retrieved on 2012-07-19.
- "Neengalum Vellalam Oru Kodi 07/10/12". YouTube. Retrieved 2012-08-08.
- season 1 Neengalum Vellalam Oru Kodi EP 78 DTHRip victor love123 PART4. YouTube (10 July 2012). Retrieved on 2012-07-19.
- Neengalum Vellalam Oru Kodi 11-07-2012 | Vijay Tv game show | Surya | Neengalum Vellalam Oru Kodi 11.07.2012 | Neengalum Vellalam Oru Kodi 11/07/2012 | Neengalum Vellalam Oru Kodi. Tubetamil.com. Retrieved on 2012-07-19.
- Sudhish Kamath (24 March 2012). "Keeping the audience hooked". The Hindu. Retrieved 29 May 2012.