Neige performing in an Alcest show in april 2011.
|Birth name||Stéphane Paut|
|Born||16 April 1985|
|Genres||Shoegazing, black metal, post-metal, post-punk|
|Instruments||Vocals, guitar, bass, keyboards, drums|
|Associated acts||Alcest, Peste Noire, Amesoeurs, Les Discrets, Lantlôs|
Stéphane Paut, mostly known as Neige (Snow), is a French songwriter, singer and multi-instrumentalist musician from Bagnols-sur-Cèze, now relocated in Paris. He is the creator and leader of shoegazing band/project Alcest and the main man behind Amesoeurs; he sings lead vocals and plays guitars, bass and keyboards on both bands and is also a drummer.
Neige quickly started to gain public recognition for his involvement as a drummer and live rhythm guitarist for black metal band Peste Noire in the beginning of the 2000s. He also became involved with black metal band Mortifera in 2003 up to the Vastiia Tenebrd Mortifera (2004) album for which he wrote two songs. In parallel, he really started to make a name for himself with his main bands Amesoeurs  and Alcest. Alcest's first EP Le Secret (Drakkar Productions; 2005) and album Souvenirs d'un autre monde (Prophecy Productions; 2007) mixing numerous shoegaze rock and metal influences skyrocketed Neige to fame, which led him to lay Amesoeurs to rest. Later he also provided vocals for Old Silver Key and Lantlôs and live bass for Les Discrets. In 2007 he was also asked by Rune Veddaa to make vocals on the forthcoming Forgotten Woods album entitled Intolerance Div. but this collaboration didn't come to fruition.
- Rhythm guitar, drums, vocals on Tristesse Hivernale (demo, 2001)
- Guitars, bass, drums, keyboards, vocals on Le Secret (EP, 2005)
- Guitars, bass, drums, keyboards, vocals on Souvenirs d'un autre monde (2007)
- Guitars, bass, keyboards, vocals on Écailles de Lune (2010)
- Guitars, bass, keyboards, vocals on Les Voyages de l'Âme (2012)
- Guitars, bass, synth, vocals on Shelter (2014)
- Guitars, bass, keyboards, vocals on Aux Funérailles du Monde.../Tristesse Hivernale with Angmar (2007)
- Guitars, bass, keyboards, vocals on Alcest / Les Discrets (2009)
- Guitars, bass, keyboards, vocals on Ruines Humaines (EP, 2006)
- Guitars, bass, keyboards, vocals on Amesoeurs (2009)
- Guitars, bass, keyboards, vocals on Valfunde/Amesoeurs
- Vocals on 1994 (EP, 2012)
- Drums, guitars, bass on Complainte d'une Agonie Celeste (EP, 2003)
- Drums, guitars, bass on Vastiia Tenebrd Mortifera (2004). Neige wrote "Ciel Brouillé" and "Le Revenant".
- Drums on Aryan Supremacy (demo, 2001)
- Drums on Macabre Transcendance... (demo, 2002)
- Drums on Phalènes et Pestilence - Salvatrice Averse (demo, 2003)
- Drums and bass on Phalènes et Pestilence (demo, 2005)
- Main vocals on "Dueil Angoisseus", drums on "Nous sommes fanés", drums and bass on "Des médecins malades et des saints séquestrés" and organ on "Phalènes et pestilence..." on La Sanie des siècles – Panégyrique de la dégénérescence (2006)
- Vocals and rhythm guitars on "La Césarienne" and acoustic guitar introduction to "Amour ne m'amoit ne je li" on Folkfuck Folie (2007)
- Guitars on L'immobile (2003)
- Guitars on Harmonia (2004)
- Vocals on Neon (2010)
- Vocals on Agape (2011)
Old Silver Key
- Vocals on Tales Of Wanderings (2011)
As a guest
Notes and references
- Jurek, Thom. "The Secret review". Allmusic. Retrieved 2012-01-05.
- True, Chris. "Alcest biography". Allmusic. Retrieved 2012-01-05.
- Neige declared: "I was only a guest in [Peste Noire] as I played drums for him [Famine], but I did/do not share his views at all. Don’t even ask me about the concept behind [Peste Noire], it is very complex. It was basically the exact opposite of Alcest : love for evil, but in a real way." "Mystery Flame, Interview with Neige of Alcest, Avant-Garde Metal Webzine, 17 January 2011".
- Neige declared: "The titles that I have composed for Mortifera "Le Revenant", "Ciel Brouillé" are just spits." "ATMF webzine, 23 November 2006".
- Amesoeurs was born on the ashes of Mortifera as Neige explained: "When we created Amesoeurs in 2004, it was a post-punk band without any black metal influence whatsoever. Both black metal titles on Ruines Humaines ("Bonheur Amputé" and "Ruines Humaines") were written for Mortifera but since my collaboration with Noktu has ended, I decided to use them for Amesoeurs.""Klemi, From dream kingdoms to metro tunnels: ALCEST / AMESOEURS, Kaleidoscope mag, Issue number 4, 2007".
- Neige explained that all the bands he took part in helped him express different sides of his personality:"Indeed, there are “several” sides to Neige. Alcest’s Neige is like the basis of my personality, its essence: a joyful and quiet man who is a reflection of the music. Amesoeurs’ Neige is more of an urban man who is completely lost, sad and anxious, not knowing his goals anymore nor his desires. He doesn’t know himself any longer since he has accumulated a great deal of frustration and unspoken vices. Last but not least, Peste Noire’s Neige is a kind of old, evil and stupid witch whose unbearable stench is equalled only by his ugliness. My urge of animal and primitive regression is embodied by this mix between a cave woman and a fiend.""Klemi, From dream kingdoms to metro tunnels: ALCEST / AMESOEURS, Kaleidoscope mag, Issue number 4, 2007".
- Neige declared:"Rune Vedaa from Forgotten Woods contacted me last year because he looked for a vocalist. He asked me to join the band, to participate in the next albums, an offer I couldn't reject. I will not get involved in the songwriting process. I'm only waiting for them to send me an instrumental version so that I can add my voice to it." "Caedes, La Horde Noire, Extreme Metal webzine, Alcest Interview, Question 10, France, 20 September 2008".