Neil H. Baum
Neil H. Baum is a urologist who specializes in erectile dysfunction (impotence), treatment of the enlarged prostate gland, and management of urinary incontinence. Dr. Baum is also a Clinical Associate Professor of Urology at Tulane Medical School and Louisiana State University School of Medicine in New Orleans, Louisiana.
Dr. Baum has performed over 3,000 penile implant surgeries since 1978 when he was the first urologist in the state of Louisiana to insert a penile prosthesis. He is among the most influential urologists and is considered one of the leading experts in the surgical treatment of Erectile Dysfunction. As a result of his experience, well-trained operating room staff, including anesthesiologist and nurses, he has outstanding experience with the procedure of implantation of a penile prosthesis. He has trained dozens of urologists on the surgical techniques including urologists in Europe and South America.
Dr. Baum was born in Worcester, Ohio, and attended undergraduate school at the University of Wisconsin in Madison, Wisconsin. He received his medical doctor degree from Ohio State University in 1968. He has training in general surgery from UCLA in Los Angeles and at the Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, Texas where he was a resident under the famed cardiovascular surgeon, Dr. Michael DeBakey. Dr. Baum received urologic training at the Baylor College of Medicine in Houston Texas where he learned the procedure of inserting the penile prosthesis under the inventor of the device, Dr. Brantley Scott
Contributions to the field of medicine
Dr. Baum has published over 150 articles in peer reviewed medical literature. He has served as a consultant to medical manufacturing companies, including Coloplast and American Medical Systems, helping to improve the device and the insertion technique.
- American Board of Urology (1978)
- Licensed to practice in the state of Louisiana (1976)
- American Urological Associates
- Southeastern Section of American Urological Association
- International Society for Impotence Research
- Society for the Study of Impotence
- Louisiana State Medical Society
- Orleans Parrish Medical Society
- Baum N., Henkel G., Marketing Your Clinical Practice-Ethically, Effectively And Economically (Aspen Publishers,1991)
- Baum N., Wilson S., ECNETOPMI-IMPOTENCE, IT'S REVERSIBLE (Southwest Impotence Center,Van Buren, AR)
- Baum N., Zablocki E.Take Charge of Your Medical Practice - Practical Practice Management for the Managed Care Market, Aspen Publishers, Gaithersberg, MD, 1996.
- Baum N., Aytona S. Urology Office Manual, Anadem Publishers, 1994.
- Baum N., McIntire K, Osborne L. Effective Letters for the Health Care Profession, Anadem, 1995.
- Baum N., Wilson S. Impotence: It's Curable. Anadem, 1998.
- Baum, N, and Henkel G, Marketing Your Clinical Practice-Ethically, Effectively And Economically, 3rd Edition, Jones Bartlett, 2004
- Baum N, Reece R, On Being a Doctor in America: With Perspective for Patients about Their Doctors- A Collection of Articles (submitted for publication)
- Baum NH, Bishop RW, Hiring a New Associate-Tips to Find Dr. Right, (HCPRO, 2006)
- Baum NH, McDaniel J, Disaster Planning for the Professional Practice, 2008
- Baum NH, Henkel G, Marketing Your Clinical Practice-Ethically, Effectively, and Economically, 4th Edition, Jones and Bartlett, August 2009
- Baum, Neil: Effect of Reduced Glutathione on Rat Erythrocytes Production of PNH-like Features in Rat Erythrocytes, Journal of Laboratory and Clinical Medicine 73:277, 1969.
- Baum N, Anhalt M, Carlton, CE, and Scott R: Management of Postobstructive Diuresis, Journal of Urology 114:53,1975.
- Baum N, Dichoso C, and Carlton CE: Blood Urea Nitrogen and Serum Creatinine: Physiology and Interpretations, Urology 5:583, 1975.
- Baum N, Burger R, and Carlton, CE: Nephrogenic Diabetes Insipidus Associated with Posterior Urethral Valves, Urology 4:581, 1975.
- Baum N and Scott FB: A New Antirefluxing Technique of Ureteroileal Anastomosis, Urology 6:215, 1975
- Baum N, Mobley D, and Carlton CE: Ureteral Replacement, Urology 5:165, 1975.
- Baum N, Kaminsky R, and Wright D: Anterior Urethral Valves: Report of Two Cases, Urology 6:723,1975.
- Baum N, Hanisch M, Beach PD, and Griffith DP: A Comparative Evaluation of Avitene Gelfoam for Hemostasis in Experimental Canine Prostatic Wounds, Investigative Urology 12:333, 1975.
- Baum N., and Scott FB: An Experimental Evaluation of Bladder Closure Techniques, Urology 6:194, 1975.
- Baum N and Scott FB: An Experimental Evaluation of Bladder Closure Techniques, Revista Mexicana De Urologia, February, 1975.
- Baum NH, Novak ME, and Gonzales ET: Horseshoe Kidney with Multicystic Dysplasia Associated with Ureterococele, Urology 10: 456, 1977.
- Baum NH, Gonzales ET, Friedman A, Carlton CE: Sigmoid Conduit: Review and Description of Technique, Urology 10:571, 1977.
- Baum NH, Moriel E, Carlton CE: Renal Vein Thrombosis: Review Article, Journal of Urology 119: 443, 1978.
- Baum NH, Mobley D, Carlton CE: Renal Vein Thrombosis in Renal Cell Carcinoma: 6 Proteinuria as a Diagnostic Sign, Urology 19: 131-134, 1982.
- Baum NH, and Brin E: Use of Double J Catheter in Pyeloplasty, Urology 20: 634, 1982.
- Baum NH, Daftary M, and Williams GT: A New Approach to Ureteral Obstruction and Pelvic Lipomatosis, Louisiana Medical Journal 133: 118-120, 1981.
- Baum NH, Daftary M: Other Urology Uses of Lidocaine, Urology 17: 511-512, 1981.
- Baum NH, Kelly M: Wilms' Tumor: Diagnosis, Evaluation, Treatment, Louisiana Medical Journal 135: 11-13, 1983.
- Baum NH, Walsh K, Hyman H, and Ball J: Idiopathic Segmental Renal Infraction. Accepted by Urology, 1984.
- Baum NH Garcia R, and Kelly M: A New Method of Post-Operative Analgesia. Submitted to Urology, 1983.
- Baum NH, O'Donnell D: Evaluation and Treatment of Erectile Dysfunction, Louisiana Medical Journal 135: 12-16, 1983.
- Baum NH, Garcia R, Breaux F, and McNally M: Dissolution of Renal Calculi, Submitted to Southern Medical Journal, 1983.
- Baum NH, LaRocca S: Sexual Dysfunction in Patients with Chronic Back Pain, Submitted to Supine, 1983.
- Baum NH: Treatment of Organic Impotence, Louisiana Medical Journal 135: 8-11, 1983.
- Baum NH and Fischman JL: Identification of Ureteral Orifices During Suprapubic Prostatectomy, Accepted by Urology, 1985.
- For a complete list of articles: http://www.neilbaum.com/docs/Cv_doc%202011.pdf