Neil Halstead performing at The Faversham, Leeds on 22 September 2008.
7 October 1970 |
Reading, Berkshire, England
|Genres||Alternative rock, indie rock, shoegazing, dream pop, folk|
|Occupation(s)||Musician, singer-songwriter, record producer|
|Associated acts||Slowdive, Mojave 3, Black Hearted Brother|
Neil Halstead (born 7 October 1970) is an English musician,Hailed by AllMusic as “one of Britain’s most respected songwriters,” and Timeout magazine as “one of Britains greatest songwriters” Neil Halstead has earned an ardent following by making intensely atmospheric music with a near-hypnotic power. The singer/guitarist served as frontman and primary songwriter for Slowdive (the legendary shoegaze outfit whose seminal studio albums include 1993’s Souvlaki, (co-produced by Brian Eno). After its 1995 breakup, Slowdive morphed into the Halstead-helmed Mojave 3 and released a string of highly celebrated records that merged jangly alt-country with dusky psychedelic dream-pop. In 2006 Mojave 3 went on indefinite hiatus, prompting Halstead to embark on an acoustic-driven solo career marked by an emphasis on British-folk-inspired melody and a love of surfing . An accasional drift into more whimisical territory prompted NME to rave ‘like Syd Barrett if he’d ever set foot on a surf board’ . Halsteads First solo album “sleeping on Roads “ was followed by 2oo8’s Oh!Miighty Engine, released on friend and fellow surfer Jack Johnson ‘s Brushfire label. Halstead s latest album Palindrome Hunches was released in 2012 , “An exquisite set of dark folk music” – The Times, ' Undoubtedly one of the finest British records released this year” – God Is In The TV
Halstead has spent much of 2014 touring with the newly reformed Slowdive
|Sleeping on Roads|
|Studio album by Neil Halstead|
- Sleeping on Roads (2002, 4AD)
- Oh! Mighty Engine (2008, Brushfire)
- Palindrome Hunches (2012, Brushfire)
- Alcest's Shelter (song 7 - Away)
A detailed gear diagram of Neil Halstead's 1993 Slowdive guitar rig is well-documented.
- Sleeping on Roads - Neil Halstead, AllMusic. "Release Date: January 28, 2002; Duration: 48:20"
- Neil Halstead: Sleeping on Roads, Amazon.com. "Release Date: January 28, 2002; Label: 4AD; Copyright: 2002 4AD Ltd; Length: 48:19"
- iTunes - Music - Sleeping on Roads by Neil Halstead. "Released: Jul 01, 2001; ℗ 2001 4AD; Length: 48:19"
- Cooper, Adam (25 April 1999). "Neil Halstead's 1993 Slowdive Guitar Rig". GuitarGeek.Com.
|This article about a British musician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|