||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2014)|
|Date of birth||27 November 1969|
|Place of birth||Dublin, Ireland|
|Height||1.77 m (5 ft 10 in)|
|1978–1981||Stella Maris F.C.|
|1991–1992||→ Athlone Town (loan)||13||(1)|
|1989-1990||Republic of Ireland U21||8||(0)|
|1987-1988||Republic of Ireland U19||?||(2)|
|1985||Republic of Ireland U17||1||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
† Appearances (Goals).
Neil Poutch (born 27 November 1969 in Finglas, Dublin) is a Irish former footballer. A midfielder, Poutch played in the English First Division for Luton Town and in the League of Ireland for Shamrock Rovers, Athlone Town and Drogheda United. Internationally, he represented the Republic of Ireland at levels up to under-21.
Life and career
Poutch played for St Kevins College as they reached the Leinster Senior Schools Final in 1985. He represented his country at schoolboy level during this time. He was also capped for the Republic of Ireland national football team in a 1986 UEFA European Under-16 Football Championship qualifier against Norway in October 1985. He then stepped up to play for the Republic of Ireland national under-19 football team and scored against Sweden at Dalymount Park in October 1987. He also scored against Finland in the final qualifier in May 1988.
Poutch came home to sign for Shamrock Rovers in August 1990. He made his debut in a pre-season friendly against Blackburn Rovers and then on 19 August he made his competitive debut against Home Farm in a FAI League Cup tie. He came on as a substitute for the League of Ireland U21 side that drew with the Australian Olympic XI 2–2 at Dalymount Park on 24 August, and made his League of Ireland debut on 2 September against Athlone Town. Four weeks later Poutch played in Rovers' first game at the RDS Arena. He scored his first league goal at Waterford on St Patrick's Day 1991. He played his last game for the club in the 1991 FAI Cup Final at Lansdowne Road. He made a total of 42 appearances for The Hoops.
Poutch was then loaned to Athlone in November 1991 for the remainder of the 1990–91 League of Ireland season, making his debut at Terryland Park on 1 December. He scored his only goal for the Midlanders at the Brandywell Stadium on 23 February 1992.
Poutch was a versatile player playing as a striker for his national team, then as a midfielder and full back in the League of Ireland.
- The Hoops by Paul Doolan and Robert Goggins (ISBN 0-7171-2121-6)
- Shamrock Rovers programme 4 November 1990
- "Beneavin take Leinster Cup". Irish Times. 30 April 1985. p. 3. (subscription required (. ))
- "Ireland fight back". Irish Times. 7 October 1987. p. 14. (subscription required (. ))
- "Irish youths held to draw by Finns". Irish Times. 11 May 1988. p. 3. (subscription required (. ))
- Shaw, Dennis (12 March 1990). "Mercurial Daley's reminder to Robson". The Times (London) – via NewsBank.
- Thornley, Gerry (17 August 1990). "Vaudequin to leave Derry City". Irish Times. p. 15. (subscription required (. ))
- Buttner, Paul (25 August 1990). "Deserved draw for Irish". Irish Times. p. 13. (subscription required (. ))