Neil Wagner (baseball)
|Toronto Blue Jays – No. 45|
January 1, 1984 |
|Bats: Right||Throws: Right|
|August 30, 2011 for the Oakland Athletics|
(through April 17, 2014)
|Earned run average||3.94|
High school & university
Minor league career
Wagner was drafted by the Cleveland Indians in the 21st round of the 2005 Major League Baseball Draft. On May 14, 2010, he was traded to the Oakland Athletics for cash considerations. He was promoted to the majors for the first time by the Athletics on August 30, 2011.
On May 28, 2012, Wagner was waived by the Athletics and claimed by the San Diego Padres. Wagner spent most of 2012 with the Triple-A Tucson Padres. He was designated for assignment on August 23, and became a free agent on November 3.
Major league career
Wagner began the 2013 season with the Triple-A Buffalo Bisons. He was called up by the Toronto Blue Jays on May 29. Wagner recorded his first career win in a game on June 7 against the Texas Rangers, pitching 11⁄3 innings in relief. After posting a 2–3 record with a 3.26 ERA and 16 strikeouts in 20 appearances, Wagner was optioned to Triple-A Buffalo on July 21 to make room on the 25-man roster for Melky Cabrera's return from the disabled list. Wagner was recalled when Cabrera went on the disabled list on August 2, 2013.
The Blue Jays optioned Wagner to the Buffalo Bisons on March 14, 2014. He was recalled by the Blue Jays on April 9, 2014..
- Kennedy, Brendan (May 30, 2013). "Blue Jays call-up Neil Wagner brings the heat with a 99 m.p.h. fastball". thestar.com. Retrieved June 7, 2013.
- "A's Select RHP Neil Wagner from Sacramento | oaklandathletics.com: Official Info". Oakland.athletics.mlb.com. Retrieved 2012-05-29.
- Slusser, Susan. "A’s option out Graham Godfrey, Neil Wagner will be up tomorrow | Oakland Athletics : The Drumbeat | an SFGate.com blog". Sfgate.com. Retrieved 2012-05-29.
- "Major League Baseball Transactions | MLB.com: Transactions". Mlb.mlb.com. Retrieved 2012-05-29.
- "Blue Jays sign three more free agents". MILB.com. November 21, 2012. Retrieved November 21, 2012.
- "Blue Jays promote 3 Herd hurlers". Buffalo Bisons. May 29, 2013. Retrieved May 29, 2013.
- Chisholm, Gregor; Peaslee, Evan (July 21, 2013). "Melky activated, batting fifth in left field". MLB.com. Retrieved July 21, 2013.
- Chisholm, Gregor (August 2, 2013). "Melky lands on disabled list". MLB.com. Retrieved August 2, 2013.
- "MLB: Jays recall pitcher Wagner from triple-A Buffalo, option righty Walden". Canadian Press. April 9, 2014. Retrieved April 9, 2014.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
|This biographical article relating to an American baseball pitcher born in the 1980s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|