|("In My Fantasy")|
|Music by||Ennio Morricone|
|Lyrics by||Chiara Ferraù|
|Original artist||Sarah Brightman|
|Recorded by||Il Divo, Tenor, Ricardo Marinello, Paul Potts|
|Performed by||Sarah Brightman|
|Music of Italy|
|Genres:||Classical (Opera) - Pop - Rock (Hardcore - New Wave - Progressive rock) - Disco - House - Dance - Folk - Hip hop - Jazz|
|History and Timeline|
|Awards||Italian Music Awards|
|Charts||Federation of the Italian Music Industry|
|Festivals||Sanremo Music Festival - Umbria Jazz Festival - Ravello Festival - Festival dei Due Mondi - Festivalbar|
|Media||Music media in Italy|
|National anthem||Il Canto degli Italiani|
|Aosta Valley - Abruzzo - Basilicata - Calabria - Campania - Emilia-Romagna - Florence - Friuli-Venezia Giulia - Genoa - Latium - Liguria - Lombardy - Marche - Milan - Molise - Naples - Piedmont - Puglia - Rome - Sardinia - Sicily - Trentino-Alto Adige/Südtirol - Tuscany - Umbria - Veneto - Venice|
|Opera houses - Music conservatories - Terminology|
"Nella Fantasia" ("In My Fantasy") is a song sung in Italian based on the theme "Gabriel's Oboe" from the film The Mission (1986). With music by famed composer Ennio Morricone and lyrics by Chiara Ferraù, "Nella Fantasia" is popular among classical crossover singers, and was originally released in 1998 by Sarah Brightman. It has since been covered by various artists.
"Nella Fantasia" first appeared on Sarah Brightman's album Eden (1998). A music video for the song was released on Brightman's "Diva - The video collection DVD" in 2006 and the song sold 2 million digital copies in South Korea. On the March 1999 video recording of her "One Night in Eden" concert, when introducing the song she said:
"My next song was originally an instrumental written by the composer Ennio Morricone for the film The Mission. About three years ago I wrote to Mr. Morricone, asking whether he would give me permission to turn this particular piece into a song. He flatly refused. So every two months I would send yet another begging letter, until I think he became so sick of me that he finally relented. And I am really glad that he did, because I think it works beautifully as a song."
In the liner notes of Eden, the lyricist of the song was named as "Ferraù". However, it has been suggested on the fansite Sarahbrightman.co.uk that the Italian lyrics of the song were written by Brightman herself. It is possible that Brightman wrote the lyrics of the song in English and they were translated into Italian by Ferraù. Confusingly, the liner notes of Brightman's subsequent album The Very Best of 1990–2000 (2001), which also featured the song, state that the composers of the song were Berta Ferraud and Ennio Morricone. It may be that "Berta" is a nickname and "Ferraud" a misspelling of "Ferraù."
Other artists who have covered the song include:
- Anthony Callea
- Russell Watson
- Il Divo
- Katherine Jenkins
- Paul Potts
- Lim Hyung-joo
- Amaury Vassili
- Kane Alexander
- Jordan Bluth
- Donald Braswell II
- Celtic Woman featuring Chloë Agnew
- The Celtic Tenors
- Choi Sung-bong (On Korea's Got Talent)
- Garðar Thór Cortes
- Emilia Dalby
- Jan Werner Danielsen
- Natalie Di Luccio
- Jackie Evancho
- Amici Forever
- Daniel Furlong
- Ricardo Marinello
- Kym Marsh (On Popstar to Operastar)
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir
- Youngok Shin
- Paulo Saphira
It is also one of the pieces used in the classical music-themed 2008 Korean TV drama Beethoven Virus.
|Nella fantasia io vedo un mondo giusto,
Lì tutti vivono in pace e in onestà.
|In my fantasy I see a just world
Where everyone lives in peace and honesty
|Nella fantasia io vedo un mondo chiaro
Lì anche la notte è meno oscura.
|In my fantasy I see a bright world
Where each night there is less darkness
|Nella fantasia esiste un vento caldo,
Che soffia sulle città, come amico.
|In my fantasy exists a warm wind
That breathes into the city, like a friend
- van Geffen, Jos (2006-12-11). "Sarah Brightman – Nella Fantasia". Home page of Jos van Geffen. Retrieved 2007-04-21.
- Brito, Andrés (2001–2002). "Little Facts About Sarah Brightman : Nella Fantasia". Sarahbrightman.co.uk. Archived from the original on 2007-10-29. Retrieved 2007-04-21. In a review of a Sarah Brightman concert at the San Jose Center for the Performing Arts on 14 September 1999, Philip Anderson wrote that "'Nella Fantasia'... was inspired by an instrumental soundtrack for the film, 'The Mission', which Sarah had begged the composer to allow her to put lyrics to": Anderson, Philip (1999). "Sarah Brightman : September 14, 1999 – San Jose Center for the Performing Arts – San Jose, CA". KAOS2000 Magazine. Retrieved 2007-04-21.
- "The Next Susan Boyle? . South Korean Singer Sung-bong Choi is Latest Internet Sensation". ABCnews.go.com. June 7, 2011. Retrieved June 8, 2011.
- "[Korea's Got Talent] tvN 코리아 갓 탤런트 Ep.1 Sung-bong Choi!!!.avi". YouTube. 2011-06-04. Retrieved 2011-06-08.
- Kym Marsh’s emotional tribute to tragic son Archie
- "Mormon Tabernacle Choir. Glory: Music of Rejoicing". AllMusic. Retrieved 2012-08-18.