Nelson De La Nuez
|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from ; try the Find links tool for suggestions. (February 2012)|
|Nelson De La Nuez|
Pop Artist/ King of Pop Art®
|Born||February 26, 1959
|Known for||Painter, Artist, Printmaking, Designer|
|Notable work(s)||Wicked Witch
The Donut Queen
|Movement||Pop Art, Satire|
Nelson De La Nuez (born in 1959) in Havana, Cuba, is an American Pop Artist and visual satirist.
Early life & Career
Nelson De La Nuez was born in Havana, Cuba and came to the US at age seven and was raised in Glendale, CA. He studied art history and in 1982 began exploring the art of collage by juxtaposing the masters of art such as Vincent van Gogh or Pablo Picasso and juxtaposing the images with popular culture and satirical humor. This is when he created what became known as Art Juxtaposed.  He is known for his trademark style called, "Art on the Edge," which is creating artwork on all four sides of the canvas. His style slowly evolved into pop culture merged with surreal worlds, old time advertising and nostalgia to create his original pop art.
De La Nuez is known as the "King of Pop Art" ® for his style of combining pop and surrealism. He sold several pieces of art to Michael Jackson, on June 11, 2009. De La Nuez delivered the art to Jackson's home on June 15, not long before he died. They were the final three pieces of art to enter into Michael Jackson's vast art collection. On December 2, 2009, De La Nuez delivered the three pieces to Michael Jackson's children that were ordered before his death.
Nelson De La Nuez was the 70th Anniversary artist for the Warner Bros. Wizard of Oz (1939 film) film, and created original works of art that toured the world. "Ditching Dorothy," became a limited edition US postage stamp. His Oz originals all sold in auction for the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation in New York at the Emerald Gala. He is also listed on the Who's Who List of the Most Collected Artists of Our Time.
De La Nuez is an international designer of brands for companies, including ICON leather shoes, purses and accessories with a collection of his pop art on them, Jared Lang designer shirts, a wallpaper collection for both the retail and hospitality industry by Designer Wallcoverings®.
The Donut Queen, 1 of Michael Jackson purchases/Pop Art Surreal Painting on Wood
- Pop Americana: The Pop Art of Nelson De La Nuez (2010) ISBN 978-0-578-05974-7
- Art Juxtaposed: Nelson De La Nuez Calendar TeNeus Publishing Group ISBN 3-8327-0667-4
- Art Juxtaposed: Nelson De La Nuez Boxed Note cards (20) TeNeus Publishing Group ISBN 3-8238-4728-7
- "Nelson De La Nuez | Park West Gallery Artist". Bio.parkwestgallery.com. Retrieved 2012-02-14.
- "Nelson De La Nuez Art for Sale". Art Brokerage. Retrieved 2012-02-14.
- Dager, Wendy. "King of Pop Art Sold His Work to King of Pop Ventura County Star July 19, 2009
- Levin, Harvey. "MJ's Final Gifts to Kids:Disney, Dali & Ice CreamHarvey Levin /Legal Source December 2, 2009
- 1871media.com - firstname.lastname@example.org. "Collecting". TodaysVintage.com. Retrieved 2012-02-14.
- Warner Bros "De La Nuez art raises money for the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation" Warner Bros PR Newswire, October 1, 2009
- "Welcome to Imagine Fine Art.com". Legendsgallerylajolla.com. Retrieved 2012-02-14.
- "ICON Shoes and Handbags - designer leather goods". Iconshoes.com. Retrieved 2012-02-14.
- Global License Magazine "Pop Artist Partners with Icon Shoes" March 23, 2011
- "Nelson De La Nuez Wallpapers : Designer Wallcoverings, Specialty Wallpaper for Home or Office". Designerwallcoverings.com. Retrieved 2012-02-14.
- Art Business News "World-renowned pop artist Nelson De La Nuez partners with Fredrix Print Canvas to promote canvas line" October 2009
- Thierry EHRMANN. "Nelson DE LA NUEZ Auction Sales and Art Market Information + Artist Prices, Biography and Images by artprice.com". Web.artprice.com. Retrieved 2012-02-14.