Nelson Mandela Bay Metropolitan Municipality
|Nelson Mandela Bay|
Location in the Eastern Cape
|• Type||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Nkosinathi Benson Fihla|
|• Municipal Manager||Mpilo Mbambisa|
|• Total||1,959 km2 (756 sq mi)|
|• Density||590/km2 (1,500/sq mi)|
|Racial makeup (2011)|
|• Black African||60.1%|
|First languages (2011)|
|Time zone||SAST (UTC+2)|
Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality (Afrikaans: Nelson Mandelabaai Metropolitaanse Munisipaliteit) is one of eight Metropolitan (or Category A) municipalities in South Africa. It is located on the shores of Algoa Bay in the Eastern Cape province, and comprises the city of Port Elizabeth, the nearby towns of Uitenhage and Despatch, and the surrounding rural area.
In 2001, the Nelson Mandela Bay Metropolitan Municipality was formed as an administrative area covering Port Elizabeth, the neighbouring towns of Uitenhage and Despatch and the surrounding agricultural areas.
Demographics and statistics
As of the census of 2001, there are 1,005,776 people and 260,798 households in the Nelson Mandela Bay Metropolitan Municipality. The official estimate of population in 2007 was 1,050,930.
- 16.0% of all households are single-person.
- The average household size is 3.86.
- The median age is 26 years.
- For every 100 females there are 91.2 males.
- 28.2% of the population aged 15–65 is unemployed.
- The median annual income of working adults aged 15–65 is ZAR 21 837 ($3,282).
According to the 2009 edition of the municipality's 2006–2011 Integrated Development Plan, manufacturing is the single largest contributor to the local economy (33%), followed by community services (27%). Tourism represents a key sector of the economy that has increasingly contributed to job creation in recent years, thanks in large part to the municipality's seaside location and its abundance of unspoiled beaches, of which four carry Blue Flag status.
100% of households have access to a source of water within a 200 m radius. 91% of households have access to a basic level of sanitation. 100% of households within the urban boundary have access to a basic level of solid waste removal, and 97% of households in formally demarcated municipal residential areas have access to a basic level of electricity. The municipality has 41 permanent and satellite clinics, 13 mobile clinics, eight hospitals, 22 libraries, 31 community and municipal halls, 79 sports facilities, 19 beaches, 18 pools, 273 schools, one university (the Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University), four technical colleges and two Further Education and Training institutions.
The municipal council consists of one hundred and twenty members elected by mixed-member proportional representation. Sixty councillors are elected by first-past-the-post voting in sixty wards, while the remaining sixty are chosen from party lists so that the total number of party representatives is proportional to the number of votes received.
The council has been dominated by the African National Congress since its inception. The most recent election on 18 May 2011, however, was closely contested; the ANC retained a narrow majority after losing seats to the Democratic Alliance and the Congress of the People. The following table shows the results of the election.
|African National Congress||187,271||189,867||377,138||51.9||34||29||63|
|Congress of the People||18,144||17,784||35,928||4.9||0||6||6|
|United Democratic Movement||1,998||1,965||3,963||0.5||0||1||1|
|Pan Africanist Congress||2,075||1,884||3,959||0.5||0||1||1|
|African Christian Democratic Party||1,466||1,295||2,761||0.4||0||1||1|
|Azanian People's Organisation||807||1,030||1,837||0.3||0||0||0|
|Freedom Front Plus||911||745||1,656||0.2||0||0||0|
|African People's Convention||50||1,575||1,625||0.2||0||0||0|
|Christian Democratic Party||668||594||1,262||0.2||0||0||0|
|African Community Movement||658||497||1,155||0.2||0||0||0|
|United Independent Front||303||233||536||0.1||0||0||0|
|South African Progressive Civic Organisation||174||175||349||0.0||0||0||0|
|Place||Code||Area (km2)||Population||Most spoken language|
|Blue Horizon Bay||27503||2.74||409||Afrikaans|
|Remainder of the municipality||27515||1,328.77||21,281||Xhosa|
- "Contact list: Executive Mayors". Government Communication & Information System. Retrieved 22 February 2012.
- "Table: Census 2011 by district council, gender, age in 5 year groups and population group". Statistics South Africa. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- "Table: Census 2011 by district council, gender, language and population group". Statistics South Africa. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- "Census 2001 home page". Statistics South Africa.
- "Integrated Development Plan 2006–2011 of the Nelson Mandela Bay Metropolitan Municipality, 8th edition". Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality. Retrieved 17 October 2009.
- "Results Summary – All Ballots: Nelson Mandela Bay". Independent Electoral Commission. Retrieved 3 December 2013.
- "Seat Calculation Detail: Nelson Mandela Bay". Independent Electoral Commission. Retrieved 3 December 2013.
- Lookup Tables – Statistics South Africa