|Full name||Nelson Enrique Rivas López|
|Date of birth||25 March 1983|
|Place of birth||Pradera, Colombia|
|Height||1.81 m (5 ft 11 in)|
|2009–2010||→ Livorno (loan)||16||(2)|
|2011||→ Dnipro (loan)||1||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 24 June 2014.
† Appearances (Goals).
Nelson Enrique Rivas López is a Colombian football defender who is currently a free agent. He was born on 25 March 1983, in the city of Pradera in Colombia. He currently plays as a central defender or right back.
Rivas began his career with Deportivo Pasto. After playing for several clubs in his native Colombia, Rivas became a fixture for Deportivo Cali. He was a two time winner of the Copa Mustang in Colombia, first with Deportes Tolima in 2003 and for the second time with Deportivo Cali in 2005. After leaving Cali he played for legendary club River Plate in Argentina.
Rivas was bought in July 2007 by Internazionale for €5 million and signed a contract until 30 June 2011. The transfer fee actually paid via FC Locarno in order to redistributed to investor. He made his debut in a Champions League game Fenerbahçe-Inter (1-0). On 23 September 2007 it was reported in Italy that Rivas had collapsed at the Saturday training session the previous day. He went to further examinations throughout the week after the incident. On 4 October 2008 he injured his knee in the Serie A game against Bologna. While with Inter he became a Serie A champion, having won it in the 2007–2008 season and 2008-2009.
He was loaned to A.S. Livorno Calcio during the 2009–2010 season where he played a total of 16 games, scoring two goals. On 31 August 2011 the Colombian stopper became a free agent after his contract at Inter was rescinded by mutual consent.
On 4 August 2012, at the 67th minute during a match between Montreal vs Philadelphia, Rivas was thrown to the ground by Antoine Hoppenot, prompting Rivas to headbutt Hoppenot. A dispute between the two teams followed, with both Rivas and Philadelphia's Jack McInerney being sent off with red cards. Upon league review, Rivas received a three-game suspension.
|2003||Deportes Tolima||Copa Mustang|
|2005||Deportivo Cali||Copa Mustang|
|2008||Inter||Italian Super Cup|
|2010||Inter||Italian Super Cup|
|2013||Montreal Impact||Canadian Championship|
|2014||Montreal Impact||Canadian Championship|
- "Montreal Impact". Montreal Impact. Retrieved 18 January 2014.
- FC Internazionale Milano 2007–08 bilancio, Require purchase in CCIAA (Italian)
- "Jimenez, Rivas complete Inter moves". FC Internazionale Milano (www.inter.it). 18 July 2007. Retrieved 12 February 2012.
- "Deposito Trasferimenti Calciatori - Stagione Sportiva 2007/2008". Lega Calcio. ca. September 2007. Archived from the original on 26 September 2007. Retrieved 5 January 2011. Check date values in:
- "Combi: "Rivas tests reassuring"". www.inter.it.
- Rivas Requires Surgery
- "Livorno Sign Inter Defender Nelson Rivas - Report". Goal.com. 25 August 2009. Retrieved 18 January 2014.
- [dead link]
- Yvan Delia-Lavictoire (3 October 2011). "Colombian defender Rivas is Montreal's first signing". MLSsoccer.com. Retrieved 18 January 2014.
- Posted: 08/07/2012 1:02 am Updated: 08/07/2012 1:02 am (7 August 2012). "Nelson Rivas Headbutts Antoine Hoppenot During Montreal Impact-Philadelphia Union Match (VIDEO)". Huffingtonpost.com. Retrieved 18 January 2014.
- "PUNISHED Rivas suspended for head but on Hoppenot". Phillysoccernews.com. 9 August 2012. Retrieved 18 January 2014.