|• Mayor (2008–2014)||Valérie Lacroute (UMP)|
|• Land1||10.83 km2 (4.18 sq mi)|
|• Population2 Density||1,200/km2 (3,000/sq mi)|
|INSEE/Postal code||77333 / 77140|
|Elevation||57–133 m (187–436 ft)
(avg. 62 m or 203 ft)
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
Nemours is supposed to derive its name from the woods (nemora) in the midst of which it formerly stood, and discoveries of Gallo-Roman remains indicate its early origin. It was captured by the English in 1420, but derives its historical importance rather from the lordship (afterwards duchy) to which it gave its name. In 1585 a treaty revoking previous concessions to the Protestants was concluded at Nemours between Catherine de' Medici and the Guises.
The church, which dates mainly from the sixteenth century, has a handsome wooden spire. The feudal castle, erected around 1120 was turned into a museum in the 20th century. It has a central keep with four rounded towers.
A statue of the mathematician Bézout (d. 1783), a native of the town, was erected in 1885.
In the vicinity is a group of fine sandstone rocks, and sand is extensively quarried.
Inhabitants are called Nemouriens.
Nemours was the birthplace of:
- Jean Aimar (1228–1277), historian
- Étienne Bézout (1730–1783), mathematician
- Geoffrey Kondogbia footballer
- Justin-Chrysostome Sanson (1833–1910), sculptor
- Philippe Petit (1949-), highwire artist
- This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). Encyclopædia Britannica (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nemours.|
- Official site (French)
- Nemours tourism office website
- 1999 Land Use, from IAURIF (Institute for Urban Planning and Development of the Paris-Île-de-France région) (English)
- French Ministry of Culture list for Nemours (French)
- Map of Nemours on Michelin (English)
|This article related to a Seine-et-Marne location is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|