| • Total
||3,406.23 km2 (1,315.15 sq mi)
|Population (March 2009)
| • Total
| • Density
||25/km2 (64/sq mi)
Nemuro (根室振興局 Nemuro-shinkō-kyoku) is a subprefecture of Hokkaido Prefecture, Japan. The Japanese claim the disputed Southern Kurile Islands (known as the Northern Territories in Japan) as part of this subprefecture.
As of July 31, 2004, the subprefecture has an estimated population of 86,152 and a (claimed) area of 8533.96 km².
Nakashibetsu Airport, the easternmost airport in Japan, is located in the Town of Nakashibetsu, Shibetsu District.
- November 1897: Nemuro Subprefecture established
- November 1897: Shana Subprefecture established
- December 1903: Shana Subprefecture and Nemuro Subprefecture merged
- August 1945: Soviets occupy the Kuril Islands
Nemuro Subprefecture (under Japanese control)
Towns and villages by district
Districts in the Northern Territories
- Also known as the Southern Kuril Islands (administered by Russia, claimed by Japan), see Kuril Islands dispute.
Nemuro Subprefecture (including Southern Chishima)
Coordinates: 43°19′49″N 145°35′04″E / 43.33038°N 145.584389°E