From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Look up neophyte in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
A neophyte is a beginner.
In the context of Christianity, the term often refers to a:
- New convert to the religion, in the Catholic and Orthodox Churches an adult convert is considered a neophyte for one year after conversion. Roman Catholic neophytes are considered full members of the Church, but may not act as godparents or sponsors for other new converts,
- Newly ordained priest,
- Person who recently took a monastic vow.
Neophyte may also refer to:
- Neophyte (botany), a plant species recently introduced to an area (in contrast to an archaeophyte, a long-established introduced species)
- Neophyte (band), a Dutch group that produces Gabber/Hardcore music
- Neophyte (comics), a character from Marvel Comics
- Neophyte (series), a series of freeware videogames from Alien Software
- Neophyte, a character in Warhammer 40,000
- In fraternities, it is a person that is a new convert or member of a secret fraternal organization, a beginner or novice member of the organization, or a recent convert (rookie/freshman) to the fraternal organization.
- Neophyte Redglare, a character in Homestuck.
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the same title.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.