Neos Marmaras (New Marmara) is a village on the Sithonia peninsula, in the Chalkidiki peninsula, Greece. In 2001, Neos Marmaras had 2,854 residents, the summer-time population has been estimated at 20,000. Situated on three shoreline hills, below the two mountains, Itamos and Tragoudeli (singing mountain). The main industries are tourism, agriculture (olives, wine, and honey), and fishing. Neos Marmaras is located 125 kilometres (78 mi) from Thessaloniki, and 55 kilometres (34 mi) from Poligyro.
Most of the residents are originally from Marmara Island, in the Sea of Marmara; and from Parthenona, a small village on the mountain, Itamos. Neos Marmaras was formed by refugees from Marmara Island in 1925.
Porto Carras is a big 5 star resort outside Neos Marmaras. Its one of the biggest in northern Greece. Theres also a Famous wine from Porto Carras called Domaine Porto Carras.
Neos Marmaras has numerous of settlements and islands and here are the most famous ones:
- Paradeisos, a small settlement close to Neos Marmaras. It has approximately 40 people and lies just downhill of Marmaras in a low-lying area.
- Agia Kyriaki, a very small marina and fishing settlement in a small bay outside Marmaras with some 20 people living there summertime.
- Imeri Elia is a small settlement close to Poto Carras. Some older mills are found in Potamos Neou Marmaras, The river of Marmaras. The area has some 20 people living there summertime.
- Azapiko Beach, a famous beach outside Marmaras, with only 5 people living there summertime.
- Kelyfos Island meaning Shield Island in Greek, also known as Turtle island, is an island located just outside the bay of Neos Marmaras. Whats funny about this island as the other name says, Turtle island is that this island looks like a turtle. This only applies if you see the island outside Marmaras. Inside the village it only looks like a normal island. The island was a strategic hiding point during the ancient days of Greece and in some cases during the second world war.
- Spathalonisia. This island is located near Azapiko beach. It is the biggest island on the west side of Sithonia peninsula.
The climate is hot in the summer and mild in the winter, but the village has seen snow a several times making it one of the most snowiest villages of Sthonia peninsula.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Neos Marmaras.|
- Official website
- Find information for Neos Marmaras and every other city of Halkidiki
- Panoramic view of Neos Marmaras