Nepean High School (Ottawa)
|Nepean High School|
Love Purple, Live Gold!
|574 Broadview Ave
Ottawa, Ontario, K2A 3V8
|School type||High School|
|School board||Ottawa-Carleton District School Board|
|Vice principal||Jayne Ford
|Language||English, French Immersion, Spanish|
|Colour(s)||Purple & Gold|
|Team name||Nepean Knights|
Nepean High School is a high school in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. It is located in the Westboro neighbourhood, at 574 Broadview Avenue. There were 1160 students enrolled for 2011-2012. Patrick McCarthy is the current principal (since Sept. 2012) replacing Rene Bibaud, the principal from 2007 to 2012. The two vice principals are Jayne Ford and Kim Elmer.
The school began as a continuation program at Broadview Public School. Those students who wanted some years of secondary education, but were unable to travel to Ottawa Collegiate Institute could take a few courses on the top floor of Broadview. In 1919 the provincial government made school attendance mandatory until age 16, creating a rapid increase in enrollment. Carleton County thus decided to build a new high school, and Nepean High School, in Nepean Township was founded in 1922. Originally Nepean High School served a large territory west of Ottawa. In 1950 Westboro was annexed by the city of Ottawa, and the high school became part of the Ottawa Collegiate Board. In 1970 the Ottawa Collegiate Board was merged into the Ottawa Board of Education, and then in 1998 the Ottawa Board of Education and the Carleton Board of Education were amalgamated and Nepean High School became part of the new Ottawa-Carleton District School Board.
NHS is known for its strong academic success with roughly 94% of students graduating to higher education (53% being Ontario Scholars).
Nepean High School's curricular offerings include: Academic/University, Applied/College, French Immersion, Extended French, Specialist High Skills Major in the Environment, Advanced Placement Courses, Leadership Development, Enriched, Cooperative Education
Nepean is also well known for its excellent athletics program, with over 10 sports teams that are regular top contenders in the National Capital Secondary Schools Athletic Association. Nepean boasts one of the highest number of interscholastic sports teams in the Ottawa Carleton District School Board. Nepean was ranked first overall in the inaugural Ottawa Citizen High School Sports Rankings in 2006, and placed 3rd in 2009, 5th in 2010, and 3rd in 2011. Nepean attended the Ontario Championships (OFSAA) in boys Soccer (2007), girls Soccer (2010), X-Country (2006-2011), Golf (2007-2011), Alpine Skiing (2007-2011), Nordic Skiing (2006-2011), Track & Field (2006–2011), Field Hockey (2011), Tennis (2010-2011), and Swimming (2008-2011). The boys Non-Contact Hockey won city championships in 2004, 2006, 2007 and 2008 and the boys Rugby team has toured world-wide (Alberta 2004, UK 2005, and Australia 2007, 2009, 2012).
- Tyler Brûlé - journalist and magazine publisher
- Brad Campbell - Head Coach University of Western Ontario men's basketball team
- Bruce Cockburn - acoustic folk musician
- Jason Kralt - former CFL player
- Kevin O'Leary - entrepreneur and television personality (Dragons' Den, Shark Tank, The Lang and O'Leary Exchange)
- Maria del Mar - Gemini and ACTRA winning actress
- Mark Rowswell - the most famous Western media personality in China under his stage name Dashan
- Keenan Wellar - sociopreneur
- Wilson, Peter. "About NHS". Retrieved 28 February 2012.
- Wilson, Peter. "School Profile 2011-2012: Nepean High School" (PDF). Retrieved 28 February 2012.
- Wilson, Peter. "Nepean High School Brochure 2012-2013".
- Simpson, Peter (November 25, 2009). "You've come a long way, O'Leary". The Ottawa Citizen. Retrieved December 3, 2009.[dead link]
- School Website
- OCDSB Website
- 2006-2007 OCDSB School Profile
- 2005-2006 OCDSB School Profile
- 2004-2005 OCDSB School Profile
- School Report 2003-2004