|This article does not cite any references or sources. (September 2009)|
Neptune in Pontevedra, 17 November 2006
|Origin||Boston, Massachusetts, USA|
|Genres||Noise rock, Avant-garde music,|
|Years active||1994 - present|
|Labels||Fortissimo, Table of the Elements|
Neptune is a noise music band from Boston, noted for having built their custom-made guitars and basses out of scrap metal. The band also plays custom-made percussion instruments and electric lamellophones.
Neptune's origins trace to a 1994 sculpture project by Boston artist/musician Jason Sanford, who created the band's guitars and drums from scrap steel and found objects. In 2007, they released their album Gong Lake on the Table of the Elements label, home to art heroes Tony Conrad, Rhys Chatham and Faust. Neptune has performed with artists including The Ex, Mission of Burma, Ut, Oneida, Lightning Bolt, The Flaming Lips, Blonde Redhead, Melt-Banana, Charles Hayward, Liars, Black Dice, James Chance & the Contortions, Gang Gang Dance, The Dresden Dolls, Six Finger Satellite, and Wolf Eyes. As of 2011, the lineup includes Sanford and longtime Neptune collaborator Mark Pearson as well as musicians/instrument inventors Kevin Micka and Farhad Ebrahimi.
- Jason Sanford - baritone guitar, electric thumb piano, electronics, small electric spring, percussion, vocals
- Mark Pearson - baritone guitar, electronics, large electric spring, drums, percussion, vocals
- Kevin Micka - drums, electronics, vocals
- "Studio Recordings, May MCMXCVII", Full Length CD/LP. (Archenemy Records, 1999)
- "The Ballet of Process", Full Length CD/LP. (Mister/100% Breakfast Records, 2002)
- "Intimate Lightning", Full Length CD/LP. (Mister/100% Breakfast Records, 2004)
- "Mice and Worms", 6 Song 12" LP. (Magnetism Crafts/Self-Release, 2005)
- "Patterns", Full Length CD/LP. (Self-Release (US)/Fortissimo Records (UK)/Les Potagers Natures (France), 2006)
- "Untitled Improvised LP", Full Length, LP only. (Golden lab records, 2007)
- "Gong Lake", Full Length CD/LP (Radium/Table of the Elements, February 2008)
- "Mother of Millions", Full Length ([Unfinished and unreleased], July 2009)
- "18:40/19:19", Full length LP (Magnetism Crafts/Wrong Whole, 2010)
- "Silent Partner", Full length CD/LP/Digital (Northern Spy, 2011)
- "msg rcvd", Full length CD/LP/Digital (Northern Spy, 2012)
- "Knife Fight E.P.", 7". (self released, 1996)
- "Basement Recordings E.P.", 6 song CD. (Mister Records, 2001)
- "Green Cassette", 5 Song C30 Cassette. (Wrong Whole Records, 2005)
- "3" CDR", 5 song CDR. (Magnetism Crafts, 2005)
- "White Cassette", 4 Song C20 Cassette. (Magnetism Crafts, 2005)
- "3" Collage CDR", 2 Songs. (Magnetism Crafts / Self-Release, 2006)
- "Red Cassette", 6 Improvisations, C30 Cassette. (Magnetism Crafts, 2006)
- "3" CDR", 3 song 3" CDR. (Hiddenbirdhouse, 2006)
- "Paris Green", 5 track CDR with hand painted art. (Magnetism Crafts/Wrong Whole, 2007)
- "Roman Business", 4 songs, C20 cassette. (NO=FI, March 2009)
- "Cave Drawings", 6 songs, 10" colored vinyl. (Self-Release/Magnetism Crafts, January 2011)
- "At the Pink Pony/A Car Is A Weapon", Live 7" Single. (Mister Records, 2002)
- "Swang!/Poodle Walk", 7" single. (Anti-Social Records, 1996)
- "Your Company/Productivity is a Science", 7" Single. (Heliotrope Records, 2000)
"Split LP", Full length split w/ One Second Riot, LP only. (Distile Records, 2007)
- The Penetrating Gaze. Video by Bill T. Miller, recorded at the Middle East, Cambridge, MA, 12/29/2005.
- Live in Strasbourg France (Full Set, 11 Songs). Recorded live at Le Zanzibar, Strasbourg, France, 9/27/06. Video by Normaltv.org.
- Gretchen Hasse (December 3, 2007). "Electro-Harmonix Memory Man and Micro Synth are Keys to Neptune's Noise Kingdom". gearwire.com. Retrieved 5 Feb 2009.
- Jed Heneberry (2008-02-15). "Neptune creates new instruments, album". Boston Music Spotlight. Retrieved 5 Feb 2009.[dead link]
- http://billtmiller.com/neptune Photos and video of Neptune
- Pictures from Neptune / White Mice show - taken April 2006 at the Midway Cafe in Jamaica Plain.
- article in Spike magazine