|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2013)|
The NetBackup 6.5 Administration Console.
|Stable release||18.104.22.168 / December 2013|
|Type||Backup and recovery|
Symantec NetBackup (earlier Veritas NetBackup) is an enterprise level heterogeneous backup and recovery suite. It provides cross-platform backup functionality to a large variety of Windows, UNIX and Linux operating systems.
Multiple NetBackup environments can be managed by NetBackup OpsCenter, which is bundled with the NetBackup 7.0 distribution, which replaces the NetBackup Operations Manager (NOM) component used in previous versions. NetBackup comes with support for many hardware devices like tape drives, tape libraries, disk units, and supports, amongst many others, hot backups for major database products like Oracle, can natively backup and restore the virtual machines of major virtualization products like VMware Infrastructure, can use Network Data Management Protocol (NDMP), and has tape vaulting. NetBackup also enables LAN-free and server-free backups in SAN fabric environments.
- In 1987, Chrysler Corporation engaged Control Data Corporation to write a backup software solution.  A small group of engineers (Rick Barrer, Rosemary Bayer, Paul Tuckfield and Craig Wilson) wrote the software. Other Control Data customers later adopted it for their own needs.
- In 1990, Control Data formed the Automated Workstation Backup System business unit. The first version of AWBUS supported two tape drives in a single robotic carousel with the SGI IRIX operating system. 
- In 1993, Control Data renamed the product to BackupPlus 1.0 (this is why many NetBackup commands have a 'bp' prefix). Software improvements included support for media Volume Management and Server Migration/Hierarchical Storage Management.
- In late 1993, OpenVision Technologies acquired the product and Control Data’s Storage Management 12-person team. This is why, on UNIX platforms, NetBackup installs into /usr/openv. During this time, OpenVision renamed Backup Plus to NetBackup.
- On May 6, 1997 Veritas acquired OpenVision Technologies, including absorption of the NetBackup product line.
- In 2004 Symantec acquired Veritas and NetBackup became a Symantec product. Also at that time, Symantec released NetBackup 6.0, the 30th version of the software.
- NetBackup Accelerator
- Technology to provide faster full backups by eliminating the need to read the entire file system
- Intelligent Data Deduplication and Auto Image Replication (AIR)
- Client or server-side deduplication via data deduplication engine that can see into the backup streams
- AIR supports backup image replication to other netbackup domain (datacenter)
- NetBackup Replication Director
- Managing snapshots and replications from NetBackup and providing the ability move them to secondary storage. Snapshots and replicas act as recovery points and get cataloged
- NetBackup Search and Operational Restore
- Built-in indexing and the ability to restore files through search. Operational restores let operators or application owners to self-serve their restore needs.
- Data Encryption
- Access Control
- Management and Reporting
- Web-based management reporting (VERITAS NetBackup Operations Manager)
- Tape volume, drive and library viewing
- Error message identification, categorization and troubleshooting
- Media Management
- Enterprise Media Manager
- Automatic robotic/tape drive configuration
- Broad tape device support
- Heterogeneous Support
- 7.6 was released in October, 2013 
- 7.5 was released in March, 2012
- 7.1 was released in February, 2011
- 7.0 was released in February, 2010
- 6.5 was released in August, 2007
- 6.0 was released in October, 2005 (30th release)
- 5.0 was released in December, 2003
- 4.5 was released in 2002
- 3.4 was released in June, 2000
- 3.0 was released in November, 1997
- 2.0 was released in June, 1996 (12th release)
- 1.6 was released in 1994 and the NetBackup name was coined
- "Data Protection". Symantec. 2006-12-21.
- "CDC announces backup system for Unix on LAN". Government Computer News. 1990-11-26.
- "LA Times". Los Angeles Times. 1997-01-14.
- "ElReg". The Register. 2004-12-16.
- "Symantec OpenStorage". Symantec.
- "NetBackup 7.6 First Availability (FA) Program". Symantec. 2013-08-16.
- Symantec The new owner of Veritas.
- Netting out NetBackup Official NetBackup Blog
- Symantec Operations Readiness Tools (SORT)
- NetBackup documentation
- NetBackup docs at Oracle Corporation