Nevada State Railroad Museum
The Nevada State Railroad Museum, located in Carson City, Nevada, preserves the railroad heritage of Nevada, including locomotives and cars of the famous Virginia and Truckee Railroad. Much of the museum equipment was obtained from Hollywood studios, where they were often featured in movies and television. The museum is operated by the Nevada Department of Tourism and Cultural Affairs.
Museum activities consist of operation of historic 4 ft 8 1⁄2 in (1,435 mm) standard gauge and 3 ft (914 mm) narrow gauge railroad equipment, including train rides, handcar rides, lectures, an annual railroad history symposium, changing exhibits, and a variety of special events. The Museum also has an ongoing research and restoration program. The Museum's most recent event is the rebuilding of the interpretation center and possibly the HO scale model railroad operated by the Carson Model Railroaders who operate to Mills Park Railroad.
The Wabuska Railroad Station, a historic station from Wabuska, Nevada was relocated to the museum grounds. The building is, in essence, still used as a working railroad station where tickets for the museum train rides are purchased.
- Nevada State Railroad Museum R.R. 4-4-0 #8 [ex-Dardenelle & Russellville RR No.8, ex-Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios, ex-Virginia & Truckee No. 28, née-Short Line Enterprises No.8; out of service]
- Virginia & Truckee R.R. 4-4-0 No. 18 Dayton [builder: Sacramento, California Shops of Central Pacific Railroad; static restored display, non-operable]
- Virginia & Truckee R.R. 4-4-0 No. 22 Inyo [builder: Baldwin Locomotive Works; operable on limited special occasions]
- Virginia & Truckee R.R. 4-6-0 No.25 [builder: Baldwin Locomotive Works; operable on limited special occasions]
- Virginia and Truckee Railway Motor Car 22 [builder: McKeen Motor Car Company, 1910; operational as of May 9, 2010]
- Tucson, Cornelia & Gila Bend R.R. No.401 Passenger Motor Car, [builder: Edwards Rail Car Company; Ex-V&T No. 50 Washoe Zephyr; operable]
- Carson & Tahoe Lumber & Fluming 2-6-0 The Glenbrook [builder: Baldwin; undergoing major restoration]
The Second Railroad Car No. 21 is a NRHP-listed railroad car that is in the museum's collection.
The Nevada State Railroad Museum also operates the Nevada Southern Railroad Museum in Boulder City, Nevada.