Never Forget You (Noisettes song)
|"Never Forget You"|
|Single by Noisettes|
|from the album Wild Young Hearts|
|Released||21 June 2009|
|Genre||Indie pop, rock, soul|
|Noisettes singles chronology|
"Never Forget You" is the third single released from the Noisettes' second studio album Wild Young Hearts. Released on 21 June 2009, the single was produced and written by the band. It followed their hit single "Don't Upset The Rhythm (Go Baby Go)", and charted at #20 in the UK Singles Chart.
The music video has three concurrent themes. The primary setting begins as Shingai Shoniwa exits a factory/warehouse type building (Alexandra Palace, North London) via blue doors. She sips a drink from a bottle, puts the bottle down and pulls on a gold bass-guitar over her shoulder. The camera pans down to her silver Dr. Martens boots, which feature in the song lyrics. After singing the first few lines of the song, her attention shifts to a blue convertible car, a Chesil Speedster (a replica of a classic Porsche 356), which she then walks over to, climbing into the passenger seat. After sitting there, as if almost pondering on past memories, she takes off her silver boots, and places them on the back seat of the car. After walking barefoot back into the building, almost closing the door, she peeks through the gap to see an anonymous male get into the vehicle and drive off with the boots still in the back. While this scene plays out, which primarily relates to the lyrics of the song, the camera frequently cuts to The Noisettes, complete with orchestral accompaniments and backing singers, practicing in what appears to be a derelict theatre (old smoke damaged theatre at Alexandra Palace), lit with a soft red light. Shoniwa is dressed in a kitsch, white tasseled dress, dancing barefoot (from removing the boots previously). Towards the end of the video, the camera begins to frequently cut to the circle balcony above the rehearsal space, where Shoniwa can be seen again, this time dressed in black, singing out over the balcony. As the music ends, the final shot shows a silhouette of Shoniwa in front of a giant red orb, as the camera pans out slightly and fades to black.
The video was released on the band's official YouTube channel on 1 May 2009 and received over 150,000 views up until 21 June 2009 when it was officially released as a single. As of 14 December 2013, it has received over 4,600,000 views.
Formats and track listings
- Digital download
- "Never Forget You"
- "Never Forget You" (FP remix)
- "When You Were Young" (Radio 1 Live Lounge)
- "Never Forget You" (video)
|United Kingdom||21 June 2009||Digital download||Mercury/Universal Records|
The single was chosen as of one of USA Today's "Picks of the Week" for 14 July 2009 with the following comment, "the Brit pop trio's bubbly soul ditty is, thanks to Shingai Shoniwa's sweet crooning, reminiscent of an early Motown party groove."
|Eurochart Hot 100 Singles||62|
|Hungarian Airplay Chart ||6|
|Irish Singles Chart||24|
|Swiss Singles Chart||73|
|UK Singles Chart||20|
|Swiss Singles Chart||9|
|UK Singles Chart||32|
|Hungarian Singles Chart||74|
|UK Singles Chart||115|
In other media
- Noisettes performed "Never Forget You" on The CW's TV series One Tree Hill in 2009.
- The Noisettes performed the song on the syndicated TV series The Wendy Williams Show on 11 August 2009.
- Featured on the soundtrack for the 2010 movie Leap Year.
- Jai McConnell, a contestant on the third series of The Voice UK performed the song in her blind audition. All four coaches turned around, praising her unique sound. She opted to go with Kylie Minogue. Her audition currently has half a million views on YouTube.
- Featured on the trailer for the 2013 movie Le Week-End.
- Jones, Steve (14 July 2009), "Pick of the week". USA Today.
- "Hungarian Airplay Chart". Mahasz.hu. Retrieved 2009-12-05.
- "Éves összesített listák - MAHASZ Rádiós TOP 100 (súlyozott)". Mahasz. Mahasz.
- "Charts Plus Year end 2009" (PDF). Charts Plus. Retrieved 2010-07-19.