|Type of site||Online magazine|
|Owner||New Music USA|
|Created by||Frank J. Oteri|
|Editor||Frank J. Oteri|
|Launched||May 1, 1999|
NewMusicBox is an e-zine launched by the American Music Center on May 1, 1999. The magazine includes interviews and articles concerning American contemporary music, composers, improvisers, and musicians.
A few interviews include renowned American composers: John Luther Adams, Milton Babbitt, Steve Reich, John Eaton, Annea Lockwood, Frederic Rzewski, George Crumb, Meredith Monk, Elliott Carter, La Monte Young, David Del Tredici, Terry Riley, Tod Machover, Alvin Lucier, Pauline Oliveros, and Peter Schickele.
In 1999, NewMusicBox was awarded ASCAP's Deems Taylor Award. This was the first time an Internet site was awarded the prize. Since inception, founding editor Frank J. Oteri and contributing writers, have received several awards for their articles on NewMusicBox. In March 2000, San Francisco Chronicle's Joshua Kosman hailed NewMusicBox as, "The Web's smartest and snazziest resource for news, features, reviews and interviews on contemporary classical music."
In 2002, NewMusicJukeBox was launched to complement NewMusicBox. This made scores and sound files available via the Internet creating a virtual listening room which cross references the music to their database of articles and information on American Contemporary Music. NewMusicJukeBox was subsequently renamed AMC Online Library and incorporated into the American Music Center's redesigned website (http://www.amc.net/library/search.aspx).
- "WEB PAGE" By Gino Robair, Electronic Musician at the Wayback Machine (archived June 19, 2006)
- "About NewMusicBox", NewMusicBox.org.
- NewMusicBox: "In Conversation with John Luther Adams" (October 25, 2004). John Luther Adams in conversation with Molly Sheridan.
- NewMusicBox: "A Discussion in 12 Parts" (December 1, 2001). Milton Babbitt in conversation with Frank J. Oteri on October 16, 2001.
- NewMusicBox: "In Conversation with Steve Reich" (June 27, 2002). Steve Reich in conversation with Molly Sheridan.
- NewMusicBox: "Involving Audiences in the Sweep of the Music #13: Getting The Music Out There" (September 1, 2000). John Eaton in conversation with Frank J. Oteri on August 3, 2000. (video included)
- NewMusicBox: "Annea Lockwood Beside the Hudson River" (January 1, 2004). Annea Lockwood in conversation with Frank J. Oteri on November 11, 2003. (video included)
- NewMusicBox: "Frederic Rzewski Visits America" (November 1, 2002). Frederic Rzewski in conversation with Frank J. Oteri on September 5, 2002. (video included)
- NewMusicBox: "Jumping Off The Page to Become Sound" (August 1, 2002). George Crumb in conversation with Frank J. Oteri on July 12, 2002. (video included)
- NewMusicBox: "Composer First" (April 1, 2000). Meredith Monk in conversation with Frank J. Oteri on March 16, 2000.
- NewMusicBox: "The Career of a Century" (March 1, 2000). Elliott Carter in conversation with Frank J. Oteri on February 4, 2000.
- NewMusicBox: "La Monte Young and Marian Zazeela at the Dream House" (October 1, 2003). La Monte Young and Marian Zazeela in conversation with Frank J. Oteri on August 13–14, 2003. (video included)
- NewMusicBox: "Thinking Big: David Del Tredici, a conversation in 13 parts" (June 1, 2003). David Del Tredici in conversation with Frank J. Oteri on May 6, 2003. (video included)
- NewMusicBox: "Obsessed and Passionate About All Music" (February 16, 2001). Terry Riley in conversation with Frank J. Oteri on June 1, 2001.
- NewMusicBox: "Technology and the Future of New Music" (October 1, 1999). Tod Machover in conversation with Frank J. Oteri on August 18, 1999.
- NewMusicBox: "Sitting in a Room with Alvin Lucier" (April 1, 2005). Alvin Lucier in conversation with Frank J. Oteri on February 9, 2005. (video included)
- http://www.newmusicbox.org/article.nmbx?id=1031 Pauline Oliveros: Creating, Performing And Listening Texas and Accordions, Frank J. Oteri, NewMusicBox, December 1, 2000[dead link]
- NewMusicBox: "Humor in Music" (May 1, 2004). Peter Schickele in conversation with Frank J. Oteri on March 15, 2004. (video included)
- 32ND ANNUAL ASCAP DEEMS TAYLOR AWARD RECIPIENTS at the Wayback Machine (archived June 23, 2007)
- 35th Annual Deems Taylor Awards Winners Presented at the Wayback Machine (archived May 23, 2011)
- Joshua Kosman (2000). "CLASSICAL MUSIC - Find Information, Presto", San Francisco Chronicle.
- San Francisco Chronicle's "Best of the Web", SFGate.com (2000).
- Barbara Jepson (2002). "This Jukebox Will Play Aaron Copland", Wall Street Journal Online.
- Anthony Tommasini (2002). "CRITIC'S NOTEBOOK; Click to Download Scores By New American Composers", NYTimes.com.
- Ross, Alex (2009). "Trailblazers", TheRestIsNoise.com.
- McManus, Drew (2009). "Happy Anniversary NewMusicBox!", Adaptistration.com.