|Type of site||Online magazine|
|Owner||New Music USA|
|Created by||Frank J. Oteri|
|Editor||Frank J. Oteri|
|Launched||May 1, 1999|
NewMusicBox is an e-zine launched by the American Music Center on May 1, 1999. The magazine includes interviews and articles concerning American contemporary music, composers, improvisers, and musicians.
A few interviews include renowned American composers: John Luther Adams, Milton Babbitt, Steve Reich, John Eaton, Annea Lockwood, Frederic Rzewski, George Crumb, Meredith Monk, Elliott Carter, La Monte Young, David Del Tredici, Terry Riley, Tod Machover, Alvin Lucier, Pauline Oliveros, and Peter Schickele.
In 1999, NewMusicBox was awarded ASCAP's Deems Taylor Award. This was the first time an Internet site was awarded the prize. Since inception, founding editor Frank J. Oteri and contributing writers, have received several awards for their articles on NewMusicBox. In March 2000, San Francisco Chronicle’s Joshua Kosman hailed NewMusicBox as, "The Web's smartest and snazziest resource for news, features, reviews and interviews on contemporary classical music."
In 2002, NewMusicJukeBox was launched to complement NewMusicBox. This made scores and sound files available via the Internet creating a virtual listening room which cross references the music to their database of articles and information on American Contemporary Music. NewMusicJukeBox was subsequently renamed AMC Online Library and incorporated into the American Music Center's redesigned website (http://www.amc.net/library/search.aspx).
- http://emusician.com/mag/emusic_web_page_4/wall.html?return=http://emusician.com/mag/emusic_web_page_4/index.html WEB PAGE By Gino Robair, Electronic Musician Dec 1, 2001
- http://www.newmusicbox.org/about.nmbx About NewMusicBox
- http://www.newmusicbox.org/article.nmbx?id=3296 In Conversation with John Luther Adams By Molly Sheridan, NewMusicBox, October 25, 2004
- http://www.newmusicbox.org/article.nmbx?id=1545 In Conversation with Milton Babbitt Frank J. Oteri, NewMusicBox, December 1, 2001
- http://www.newmusicbox.org/article.nmbx?id=3810 In Conversation with Steve Reich By Molly Sheridan, NewMusicBox, June 27, 2002
- http://www.newmusicbox.org/article.nmbx?id=916 John Eaton: Involving Audiences in the Sweep of the Music Getting The Music Out There, Frank J. Oteri, NewMusicBox, September 1, 2000
- http://www.newmusicbox.org/article.nmbx?id=2364 Annea Lockwood Beside the Hudson River, Frank J. Oteri, NewMusicBox, January 1, 2004
- http://www.newmusicbox.org/article.nmbx?id=1888 Frederic Rzewski Visits America, Frank J. Oteri, NewMusicBox, November 1, 2002
- http://www.newmusicbox.org/article.nmbx?id=1809 George Crumb: Jumping Off The Page to Become Sound, Frank J. Oteri, NewMusicBox, August 1, 2002
- http://www.newmusicbox.org/article.nmbx?id=619 Meredith Monk: Composer First, Frank J. Oteri, NewMusicBox, April 1, 2000
- http://www.newmusicbox.org/article.nmbx?id=576 The Career of a Century: Elliott Carter, Frank J. Oteri, NewMusicBox, March 1, 2000
- http://www.newmusicbox.org/article.nmbx?id=2216 La Monte Young and Marian Zazeela at the Dream House, Frank J. Oteri, NewMusicBox, October 1, 2003
- http://www.newmusicbox.org/article.nmbx?id=2093 Thinking Big: David Del Tredici, a conversation in 13 parts House, Frank J. Oteri, NewMusicBox, June 1, 2003
- http://www.newmusicbox.org/article.nmbx?id=1288 Terry Riley: Obsessed and Passionate About All Music, Frank J. Oteri, NewMusicBox, June 1, 2001
- http://www.newmusicbox.org/article.nmbx?id=316 Tod Machover: Technology and the Future of New Music, Frank J. Oteri, NewMusicBox, October 1, 1999
- http://www.newmusicbox.org/article.nmbx?id=4054 Sitting in a Room with Alvin Lucier, Frank J. Oteri, NewMusicBox, April 1, 2005
- http://www.newmusicbox.org/article.nmbx?id=1031 Pauline Oliveros: Creating, Performing And Listening Texas and Accordions, Frank J. Oteri, NewMusicBox, December 1, 2000
- http://www.newmusicbox.org/article.nmbx?id=2501 Peter Schickele in conversation with Frank J. Oteri, NewMusicBox, Published: May 1, 2004
- http://www.ascap.com/eventsawards/awards/deems_taylor/1999/ 32ND ANNUAL ASCAP DEEMS TAYLOR AWARD RECIPIENTS, ASCAP
- http://www.ascap.com/press/2002/35deemswinners_121002.html 35th Annual Deems Taylor Awards Winners
- http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2000/03/07/DD21316.DTL&hw=newmusicbox&sn=001&sc=1000 CLASSICAL MUSIC - Find Information, Presto, Joshua Kosman, San Francisco Chronicle, March 7, 2000
- http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2000/03/07/DDBESTOFWEB.DTL&hw=newmusicbox&sn=002&sc=733 San Francisco Chronicle’s Best of the Web
- http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1033435349509928673.html?mod=googlewsj This Jukebox Will Play Aaron Copland, by Barbara Jepson, the Wall Street Journal Online, October 1, 2002
- http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9807E5DB113BF93AA35753C1A9649C8B63 CRITIC'S NOTEBOOK; Click to Download Scores By New American Composers, Anthony Tommasini, New York Times, October 9, 2002