NewSchool of Architecture and Design
|Newschool of Architecture and Design|
|Interim President||Vivian Sanchez|
|Location||San Diego, California, United States
NewSchool of Architecture & Design (NewSchool) is a private, for-profit, four-year university located in downtown San Diego offering specialized degrees in design-related fields. NewSchool comprises three schools: The School of Architecture houses the architecture and construction management programs; Domus Academy School of Design at NewSchool offers programs in various design disciplines; and the Media Design School of Digital Arts at NewSchool, includes a range of digital arts programs. NewSchool is part of Laureate Education, which operates an international network of accredited campus-based and online universities.
The school is accredited by the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB) and offers Bachelor of Architecture (B.Arch), Master of Architecture (M.Arch), Executive Master of Architecture, and others.
The late Richard Welsh founded NewSchool of Architecture in 1980. The school’s first degree program was the Bachelor of Architecture. In 2008, NewSchool was acquired by Laureate Education Inc.
Today NewSchool offers undergraduate and graduate programs in architecture and other design specialties. NewSchool students have study abroad opportunities and visiting international faculty. The Domus Academy School of Design at NewSchool, which offers programs in various design disciplines was developed in collaboration with Domus Academy in Milan, Italy. The Media Design school of Digital Arts at NewSchool, which offers digital arts and gaming programs, was developed in collaboration with Media Design School in Auckland, New Zealand. These design and digital arts/gaming programs incorporate a study-abroad component at either Domus Academy or Media Design School.
- Bachelor of Architecture, First Professional Degree: The Bachelor of Architecture degree program prepares students for an internship in an architectural firm and for eventual licensing as an architect. This degree program is accredited by the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB) and is typically completed in five academic years of full-time study.
- Bachelor of Arts in Architecture: The Bachelor of Arts in Architecture program prepares students to enter a Master of Architecture program or pursue other professional degrees. The program emphasizes the foundations of design from technical and aesthetic perspectives. The program is typically completed in four academic years of full-time study.
- Master of Architecture, First Professional Degree: The Master of Architecture degree program leads to a first professional degree and is fully accredited by the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB). Admission to the program requires a baccalaureate degree in any field. The program is typically completed in two to three academic years of full-time study.
- Executive Master of Architecture: The Executive Master of Architecture degree program is also accredited by the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB) and is for students with experience in the field of architecture or design who are returning to school for an accredited professional degree. Admission to the program requires a Bachelor of Arts (or Science) in Architecture degree, a Bachelor of Environmental Design degree, or a degree in a related discipline; an architectural license in the U.S.; and five years of documented full-time post-licensure work experience as a registered architect.
- Master of Science in Architecture: The Master of Science in Architecture degree program is for students who do not plan to pursue architectural licensing. Admission to the program requires a baccalaureate degree in any field. The program is typically completed in one academic years of full-time study.
Construction Management programs
- Bachelor of Science in Construction Management: The Bachelor of Science in Construction Management degree program is based on an interdisciplinary curriculum of science, architecture and engineering. The program is typically completed in four years of full-time study.
- Master of Construction Management: The Master of Construction Management degree program emphasizes business management skills and the integration of construction technology with management, business planning, and professional ethics. The program can be completed in one year of full-time study, depending on individual progress.
Digital Arts programs
- Bachelor of Science in Media Design: The Bachelor of Science in Digital Media Arts degree program has two concentrations: Environmental Graphic Design or Design and Visualization.
- Bachelor of Arts in Animation: The Bachelor of Arts in Animation degree program starts with foundational experiences in drawing and theory and progresses to increasingly complex projects in 2D and 3D animation and visual effects, ending with a final year video project designed to simulate a studio environment.
- Bachelor of Arts in Game Art: The Bachelor of Arts in Game Art degree program teaches 3D modeling, 2D and 3D visual assets, and creative problem solving through the application of technological theory and industry-related hardware and software. The final year of study involves designing and creating a major game production in collaboration with Game Programming students.
- Bachelor of Science in Game Programming: The Bachelor of Science in Game Programming degree program emphasizes the development of skills required for game programming and game development, including C++ programming and practical math and physics skills. The final year of study involves designing and creating a major game production in collaboration with Game Art students.
- Bachelor of Interior Architecture & Design: The Bachelor of Interior Design degree program emphasizes the design of functional and beautiful spaces that fulfill human expectations while incorporating evolving technology and sustainability. The program imparts a global design perspective; interdisciplinary, integrative practice; and sustainable, socially-responsible design practices.
- Bachelor of Arts in Product Design: The Bachelor of Arts in Product Design degree program includes the study of complex and interactive objects as well as product-service systems and experiences. Students develop a foundation in prototyping, manufacturing, and materials selections that culminates in a final year product design project.
NewSchool of Architecture & Design (NewSchool) campus is 100,000 square feet (9,300 m2) and is located in the East Village in downtown San Diego. The main building is on F Street and Park Boulevard. Faculty and staff occupy the buildings on G Street and Park Boulevard. All locations have 24-hour student access throughout the year.
- Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) Senior College and University Commission
- National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB)
- Bachelor of Architecture
- Master of Architecture
- Executive Master of Architecture
- Student body size: over 600 current students
- Male students: 65%
- Female students: 35%
- Students pursuing a bachelor’s degree: 61%
- Students pursuing a master’s degree: 39%
- Faculty size: 75
- Adriana Cuellar: Received the Progressive Architecture Award, from Architect Magazine for a Tijuana library project (2013)
- Michael Stepner: Crystal Globe Award/Lambda Alpha International (2013) Fellow of the American Institute of Architects (1992)
- Kurt Hunker: Fellow of the American Institute of Architects (2013)
- Gil Cooke: Fellow of the American Institute of Architects (2012)
- "Newschool of Architecture and Design". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.
- "Laureate Education buys two U.S. colleges". Baltimore Business Journal. July 16, 2008. Retrieved November 4, 2011.
- "DOMUS ACADEMY SCHOOL OF DESIGN AT NSAD: A GROWING GLOBAL DESIGN MARKETPLACE". Interior Design magazine. September 13, 2013. Retrieved April 11, 2014.
- "Media Design School of Digital Arts at NewSchool Announces Three Globally-Focused Programs in Digital Arts Specialties". Press release. January 8, 2014. Retrieved April 11, 2014.
- "WASC Accreditation: Newschool of Architecture and Design".
- "Tijuana library wins prestigious architecture award". San Diego CityBeat. Retrieved March 11, 2014.
- "Daily Business Report — Feb. 5, 2013". SD Metro. Retrieved March 11, 2014.
- "AIA Fellows in the San Diego Chapter". San Diego AIA. Retrieved March 11, 2014.