New (Paul McCartney song)
|Single by Paul McCartney|
|from the album New|
|Released||2 September 2013
(see release history)
|Label||Universal Music Group (UK)
Hear Music (US)
|Paul McCartney singles chronology|
"New" is a song written by Paul McCartney. It was originally recorded by McCartney and produced by English musician Mark Ronson for McCartney's sixteenth studio album New, and appears as the sixth track on the album. After being released early on the iTunes Store as a track available to download from New on 28 August 2013, the song was released as a single on 2 September 2013 and available exclusively on Amazon.com. The single's premiere on 28 August was concurrent with the official reveal of New on the same day. The single gained heavy airplay on Japanese radio stations, where it became a number #4 hit on the Japan Hot 100.
The single joined BBC Radio 2's playlist and the album of the same name was their Record of the Week.
"New" was greeted positively by critics and the musical press. As well as being selected as BBC Radio 2's Record of the Week and placed on their A-list, the track was greeted as the "Track of the Day" by Mojo which praised its "doe-eyed optimism, irresistible melody" and "orchestrated pop arrangements". Rolling Stone's Will Hermes, praised its "bouncy harpsichord-laden melody", giving it a four-star rating and drawing comparisons to the Beatles' "Got to Get You into My Life", a view shared by The Daily Telegraph which described it as a "jaunty, Beatles-esque stomp".
McCartney performed the song live on late night shows such as Jimmy Kimmel Live and Late Night with Jimmy Fallon as well as at the iHeartRadio Music Festival where he premiered it as well as several other songs off the new album.
- Paul McCartney - vocals, bass guitar, harpsichord, piano, mellotron, Wurlitzer electric piano, congas, maracas, bouzouki
- Rusty Anderson - backing vocals, guitar, bouzouki
- Brian Ray - backing vocals, guitar
- Abe Laboriel, Jr - backing vocals, drums
- Paul Wickens - backing vocals
- Steve Sidwell - trumpet
- Jamie Talbot - tenor saxophone
- Dave Bishop - baritone saxophone
|Japan (Japan Hot 100)||4|
|US Adult Contemporary (Billboard)||18|
|United Kingdom||2 September 2013||Digital download||Universal Music Group International|
|United States||3 September 2013||Hear Music|
- "Paul McCartney releases 'New' song from New album". Consequence of Sound. 29 August 2013. Retrieved 23 October 2013.
- Friedman, Joely (13 November 2013). "Paul McCartney's "New" Still Holds Value for Young Listeners". Huffington Post. Retrieved 21 November 2013.
- "Sony Pictures Animation's "Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs 2" Gets "New" Music From Paul McCartney". PR Newswire. 10 September 2013. Retrieved 12 September 2013.
- "For Whom The Bell Tells… Issue 24". PaulMcCartney.com. 17 September 2013. Retrieved 18 September 2013.
- "BBC Radio 2 Playlist". BBC. 14 September 2013. Retrieved 17 September 2013.
- "BBC Radio 2 Playlist". BBC. 18 September 2013. Retrieved 18 September 2013.
- Bennett, Ross (29 August 2013). "Paul McCartney - "New"". Mojo. Retrieved 17 September 2013.
- Hermes, Will (10 September 2013). "Paul McCartney "New"". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 17 September 2013.
- Lachno, James (29 August 2013). "Paul McCartney posts 'New' single online". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 17 September 2013.
- "Paul McCartney Album & Song Chart History" Japan Hot 100 for Paul McCartney.
- "Paul McCartney - Chart history". Billboard. Retrieved 15 October 2013.
- "New (Single)". Paul McCartney disocgraphy. Amazon.co.uk. Retrieved 13 October 2013.
- "New". Paul McCartney discography. Amazon.com. Retrieved 13 October 2013.