New Bern (LYNX station)
|LYNX light rail station|
Looking North from the New Bern Station
|Location||129 New Bern Street
Charlotte, NC 28203
|Owned by||Charlotte Area Transit Systems|
|Platforms||2 side platforms|
|Bicycle spaces||Racks and Lockers available|
|Opened||24 November 2007|
The New Bern station is a light rail station on the LYNX Blue Line at the southern edge of the South End of Charlotte, North Carolina, U.S.A.. The station officially opened for service on Saturday, November 24, 2007, and as part of its opening celebration fares were not collected. Regular service with fare collection commenced on Monday, November 26, 2007.
The station is located one block to the west of South Boulevard along New Bern Street. It has side platforms, which sit on either side of the tracks. It is one of the few stations outside the center city/Southend area without a park-and-ride lot.
As part of the CATS Art in Transit program, New Bern features several pieces intended to provide a better overall aesthetic for the station. The works include bas-reliefs entitled Hornbeam by Alice Adams, drinking fountain basins designed to look like dogwoods, the North Carolina state flower, by Nancy Blum, leaf motifs on both the pavers and shelters by Leticia Huerta, river stone benches by Hoss Haley and track fencing featuring willow oak leaves by Shaun Cassidy.
Incidents & accidents
- April 18, 2008: An 80 feet (24 m) tall silo adjacent to the line, just north of the New Bern Station, collapsed, with some of its debris causing minor damage to the track and disrupting service during the evening rush hour. Service was fully restored by the following day, but this marked the first disruption in service since the opening of the line in November 2007 due to conditions outside the control of CATS.
- Harrison, Steve; Kristen Valle (November 25, 2007). "Light rail, heavy traffic - Thousands wait in lines for a free ride on 1st day". The Charlotte Observer. p. 1A.
- "New Bern Station: Art in Transit". Charlotte Area Transit System. Archived from the original on 2008-03-23. Retrieved 2008-06-21.
- Wootson, Jr., Cleve R.; Steve Harrison (April 19, 2008). "Silo puts kink in LYNX". The Charlotte Observer. pp. 1A.
- New Bern station site plan from CATS
- New Bern St. station
- Station from New Bern Street from Google Maps Street View