New Castle, Kentucky
|New Castle, Kentucky|
|Motto: "Life in the S-L-O-W Lane"|
|• Mayor||JudyLee Diederich|
|• Total||0.4 sq mi (1.2 km2)|
|• Land||0.4 sq mi (1.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||833 ft (254 m)|
|• Density||2,067.0/sq mi (798.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0499296|
New Castle – sometimes erroneously written Newcastle – is a 5th-class city in Henry County, Kentucky, in the United States. It is the seat of its county. As of the year 2000 U.S. Census, the city held 919 people.
The population was 755 in 1970, 832 in 1980, and 893 in 1990.
New Castle is located at  It is located on U.S. Route 421, 30 miles northeast of Louisville. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.4 square miles (1.0 km2), all land.(38.433645, -85.169345).
As of the census of 2000, there were 919 people, 382 households, and 239 families residing in the city. The population density was 2,067.0 people per square mile (806.4/km²). There were 409 housing units at an average density of 919.9 per square mile (358.9/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 92.60% White, 5.77% Black or African American, 0.98% from other races, and 0.65% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.52% of the population.
There were 382 households out of which 29.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 41.6% were married couples living together, 17.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 37.2% were non-families. 33.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 17.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.25 and the average family size was 2.86.
In the city the population was spread out with 22.7% under the age of 18, 7.9% from 18 to 24, 25.2% from 25 to 44, 25.0% from 45 to 64, and 19.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 77.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 73.2 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $24,931, and the median income for a family was $34,550. Males had a median income of $27,813 versus $19,615 for females. The per capita income for the city was $12,626. About 26.8% of families and 27.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 34.4% of those under age 18 and 20.9% of those age 65 or over.
Culture and recreation
- City of New Castle. Official site. Accessed 15 October 2013.
- Commonwealth of Kentucky. Office of the Secretary of State. Land Office. "New Castle, Kentucky". Accessed 15 September 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "NRHP nomination form". National Park Service. Retrieved 19 October 2012.
- Smith-Berry Winery Local Vineyard and Winery
- KY GenWeb Henry County Kentucky History & Genealogy a Repository Collection site