|Studio album by The New Seekers|
|The New Seekers chronology|
In the UK, The New Seekers had failed to gain mainstream success until mid 1971 when the single "Never Ending Song of Love" reached #2 in the charts. This album was released while the single was still in the top 20, but that song had actually appeared on the group's previous album, Beautiful People. Possibly due to this, New Colours failed to chart at the time of release. Some months later however, as the group found themselved at #1 with the single "I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing," this album then managed to break into the UK top 50 by peaking at #40 and spending four weeks on the chart. Only one single was released from this album, the uptempo track "Good Old Fashioned Music," but didn't find success.
New Colours was released in the US with a slightly different tracklist. Two singles were released there; "The Nickel Song" and "Tonight." The album initially failed to chart, but some months later it was re-released under a new title, We'd Like to Teach the World to Sing. With one track added (and "Move Me Lord" omitted) it became their biggest-selling album there by peaking at #37.
Reviewer John Wells writing for the New Musical Express said of New Colours: "A good album, well produced and...superb harmonies from one and all." The album was released on vinyl, cassette and 8-Track cartridge. The songs were later released on Compact Disc in 2003.
Track listing (UK)
- "Doggone My Soul (How I Love Them Old Songs)" (Mickey Newbury) 2.58
- "Evergreen" (Kerr/Peel) 2.58
- "Something in the Way He Moves" (James Taylor) 3.04
- "Sweet Louise" (Paul Layton) 2.50
- "Good Old Fashioned Music" (Gary Sulsh, Stuart Leathwood) 2.54
- "Move Me Lord" (Doyle) 3.05
- "No Man's Land" (Thompson) 2.02
- "Child of Mine" (King) 3.19
- "Tonight" (Wood) 2.54
- "Lay Me Down" (Doyle) 2.46
- "Too Many Trips to Nowhere" (Britten) 3.02
- "Boom Town" (Doyle) 4.24
Track listing (US)
- "Too Many Trips to Nowhere"
- "Wanderer's Song" (Poulsen) 2:42
- "Move Me Lord"
- "The Nickel Song" (Safka) 3:22
- "Lay Me Down"
- "No Man's Land"
- "Sweet Louise"
- "Good Old Fashioned Music"
- "Child of Mine"