New Douglas, Illinois
|Area||1.07 sq mi (3 km2)|
|- land||1.06 sq mi (3 km2)|
|- water||0.00 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Density||115.7 / km2 (300 / sq mi)|
|- summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|Area code||217, 618|
|Wikimedia Commons: New Douglas, Illinois|
New Douglas is a village in Madison County, Illinois, United States. The population was 319 at the 2010 census. It is a community that was centered on the local coal mines and farming in the early 1900s. When need for coal dropped in the 1950s the town fell back on its farming roots, mostly of corn and soybeans.
New Douglas was laid out about 1857.
New Douglas is located at (38.970100, -89.667426).
According to the 2010 census, the village has a total area of 1.07 square miles (2.8 km2), all land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 369 people, 147 households, and 105 families residing in the village. The population density was 345.6 people per square mile (133.2/km²). There were 178 housing units at an average density of 166.7 per square mile (64.2/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 97.29% White, 0.81% Native American, 0.27% Asian, and 1.63% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.98% of the population.
There were 147 households out of which 26.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 56.5% were married couples living together, 8.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 27.9% were non-families. 24.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.51 and the average family size was 2.91.
In the village the population was spread out with 23.3% under the age of 18, 9.5% from 18 to 24, 25.2% from 25 to 44, 27.6% from 45 to 64, and 14.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females there were 101.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 102.1 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $30,417, and the median income for a family was $40,833. Males had a median income of $28,750 versus $21,250 for females. The per capita income for the village was $14,617. About 5.5% of families and 9.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 13.6% of those under age 18 and 8.2% of those age 65 or over.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): New Douglas village, Illinois". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved January 23, 2012.
- Norton, William T. (1912). Centennial History of Madison County, Illinois, and Its People, 1812 to 1912. The Lewis Publishing Co. p. 583.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "2010 Census U.S. Gazetteer Files for Places – Illinois". United States Census. Retrieved 2012-10-13.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.