New England Immortals RLFC
|Full name||New England Immortals R.L.F.C.|
|Competition||USA Rugby League|
The New England Immortals was the first All-Star representative Rugby League Football team made up of the top American players from all Rugby League teams in the six New England states, and those US athletes who come from the region.
Club Motto: "Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path, and leave a trail." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
AMNRL Years (2010)
The New England Immortals were founded in 2010 and consisted of the top players from the New England based teams of the AMNRL - the Boston Thirteens, Connecticut Wildcats and the New Haven Warriors. Their logo is based on the Robert Gould Shaw Memorial located in the Boston Commons at the corner of Beacon and Park Street in Boston, MA. Colonel Shaw commanded the 54th Massachusetts Infantry Regiment during the civil war. There are six stars which represent the six states that make up New England, while the red white and blue symbolize not only the national colors of the U.S., but also hardiness, valour, vigilance, and perseverance.
USARL Years (2011 - present)
After the AMNRL/USARL split in 2011, the Immortals joined the latter. Due to the regulations of the separation outlined by the RLIF, only players registered in the AMNRL competition qualified for selection to the USA Tomahawks. Under that same ruling, the Connecticut Wildcats (who opted to stay with the AMNRL) were dropped from selections to the Immortals. The Immortals was now the only representative rugby available to USARL players.
In April 2012, Head Coach Robin Peers named the 23-man roster that would make up the New England Immortal side that would represent their region against the British Royal Marines at Tucker Field in Cumberland, RI at the end of the month. Despite the loss of the Connecticut, the expanded player pool from newly formed Oneida FC and the Rhode Island Rebellion saw a new breed Immortals, with only three returning veterans. The Immortals took to the field for their second match since their inception, and despite putting up a hard fight, they were out classed by the more experienced Marines, losing by a score of 68-12.
As of 2014, due to budgetary cuts and restructuring of the USARL competition, the Immortals have not played a match since their loss to the Royal Marines.
Current Member Teams
- Boston Thirteens, Boston, Massachusetts
- New Haven Warriors, New Haven, Connecticut
- Rhode Island Rebellion. Providence, Rhode Island
Former Member Teams
2012: Immortals vs. British Royal Marines
Result: L 12 - 68 
Coach: Robin Peers
2010: Immortals (AMNRL) vs. Canada
Result: W 12 - 8 
Coach: Mikhael Shammas
The following is a list of New England Immortals who have played representative rugby (league or unoin) at the National level.
- Curtis Cunz — Former member of the USA Tomahawks with over ten test matches
- Nathan Debartolo —Played for the South Sydney Rabbitohs in the top teir of the Australian NRL and former Tomahawk
- Lance Gaines — Named to the USA Tomahawks roster for the 2009 Atlantic Cup Test match against Jamaica
- Mike Schachter — member of the USA Tomahawks including three Colonial Cup tournaments
- Kenneth Stern — Represented the Philppines in both rugby union 7s and XVs, including the 2013 Rugby World Cup Sevens
- Kyle Winter — Former member of the Indonesian national rugby union team, including two appearances in the HSBC Asian Five Nations
- "Official Site of the Canada Rugby League: War at the Shore match reports"., July 2010.
- "Official Site of the USA Rugby League (USARL): New England select ready for action"., April 26, 2012
- "Rugby League International Scores: Immortals Show Guts Against the Marines"., April 29, 2012
- Official websites