New Game Network
|New Game Network|
|Slogan||Connected to Interactive Entertainment|
Type of site
|81,067 (April 2014[update])|
New Game Network (commonly referred to as NGN) is an independent Canadian-based website that covers news, articles, previews, reviews and blogs about video games. The company has staff and freelancers from Canada, USA, Australia and UK. The website was founded in January 2009, and contains over 500 articles and features, with 3,000+ news items. Primary focus is on the PC, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, and Wii U platform coverage.
The website was founded in January 2009, when two colleagues and gamers thought of an idea. The site began as a basic HTML template, later being moved on and integrated into the PHP Nuke CMS. The new design went live on January 17, 2009 and remained active for several months.
With the traffic gradually increasing, the website founders have decided to expand the operations, but a new system was required to handle the content and visitor numbers. A new website design went live on August 3, 2009 with the staff also shifting the coverage to include the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 alongside the PC. Nintendo Wii was also initially supported, but was shut down sometime later due to lack of popularity. The website attempted to pick up Nintendo coverage again with the launch of Wii U in November 2012.
As of August 2010, New Game Network's database has expanded substantially since the website's origination. Approximately, there are:
- Over 700 original articles
- Over 7,000 screenshots
- Over 5,500 news pieces
- 1000+ games in the database
After upgrading to a new content management system, the website went through a traffic resurgence. In 2010, a new marketing campaign helped pushed the website to over 2,000 unique visitors per day, which placed the site in the top 100,000 globally on Alexa The website began to dominate readership locally, reaching the top 10,000 sites in Canada.
New Game Network has been present at number of industry events, including PAX East, GDC Canada, E3 and PAX Prime. The website has provided extensive coverage for all of these conventions, including previews and interviews with high-ranking members of the industry.
New Game Network rates titles based on a free-form system that includes category scores and a final score out of 100. The categories scored include Presentation, Gameplay, Single Player, Multiplayer, and Performance. The overall rating is determined based on category scores, but not as a mathematical average. There is also a tiered system for the overall score that gives readers an overall impression of the game based on the number.
- "Newgamenetwork.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2014-04-01.
- "About Us". Retrieved 2010-08-11.
- "NGN - One Year Later". Retrieved 2010-02-16.
- "Articles Index". Retrieved 2012-12-03.
- "Image Gallery Index". Retrieved 2012-12-03.
- "Games Index". Retrieved 2010-08-25.
- "Trine Review scores". Retrieved 2010-03-11.
- "E3 2010: Crysis 2 Previews". Retrieved 2010-07-20.
- "Singularity". Retrieved 2010-06-28.
- "Mass Effect 2 sells 2 million in first week". Retrieved 2010-02-08.
- "Angry Steam Users Form Left 4 Dead 2 Boycott Group". Retrieved 2009-08-03.
- "New Game Network reports Left 4 Dead fans angry at Valve over L4D2". Retrieved 2009-06-06.
- "Mass Effect 2 sells well". Retrieved 2010-01-30.
- "Dirt 2 PC Release date announced". Retrieved 2009-12-10.
- "Torchlight Review Roundup". Retrieved 2009-11-20.
- "Mafia 2 PAX preview". Retrieved 2010-05-15.
- "Deus Ex: Human Revolution E3 2010 preview". Retrieved 2010-06-22.
- "Microsoft Interview - E3 2010". Retrieved 2010-06-23.
- "Sony Interview - E3 2010". Retrieved 2010-07-10.
- "Website FAQ". Retrieved 2010-04-21.
- "New Game Network Site Info". Retrieved 2012-04-19.
- "N4G: Website profile". Retrieved 2010-08-25.