New Hamburg, Ontario
|Time zone||EST (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|Forward sortation area||N3A|
|Area code(s)||519 and 226|
New Hamburg is a community of approximately 7,930 (2011 stats) in Wilmot Township, a rural township of the Regional Municipality of Waterloo, Ontario. It is bordered by Baden to the east and Perth County to the west, and is within easy driving distance of the cities of Kitchener, Waterloo and Stratford.
The weekly newspaper serving the community is the New Hamburg Independent.
New Hamburg's major active/green spaces are Scott Park (Soccer Fields, Tennis & Basketball Courts, Playground, River Access), Kirkpatrick Park (Gazebo, Swan Pavilion), Norm S. Hill Park aka. The Grandstands (Lit Softball Diamonds, Scrub Diamond, Playground, Public Washrooms, Race Track, Mini Mountain Bike Trail) and the Arboretum, all located within the town limits.
Primary schools within the town include Forest Glen Public School, Grandview Public School, and Holy Family Catholic School. There are no high schools in New Hamburg; students attend Waterloo-Oxford District Secondary School near Baden.
The Region of Waterloo Library operates a branch at 145 Huron Street, in a designated heritage building, a Carnegie library built in 1912.
Key community groups in New Hamburg include the New Hamburg Board of Trade, the Optimist Club, Lions Club and Lioness Club, and the New Hamburg Community Players (TCP).
|Stratford, Shakespeare||Baden, Kitchener|
- The Ontario Mennonite Relief Sale is held at the arena and fairgrounds each year on the last Saturday of May.
- New Hamburg Live! runs for about a week in early June. It promotes local art and artists.
- The Canada Day Duck Race takes place on the Nith River. Tickets are sold which correspond to a rubber ducky. The ticket holder of the first place duck can win $1000, $500 for second place and $50 for 3rd - 10th place finishers. Proceeds of the event are handled by the New Hamburg Board of Trade.
- The 3rd weekend in August, New Hamburg hosts "Canada's Largest All Mopar Car Show" - Moparfest.
- Run by the Wilmot Family Resource Center, the Poor Boy's Luncheon raises money towards the Centre's various Social Services.
- The New Hamburg Fall Fair is a non-profit held by the Wilmot Agricultural Society. It runs annually in September.
- Famed NHL hockey analyst, Howie Meeker, was raised here. He was named a Member of the Order of Canada in 2010.
Local religious congregations
- Fellowship Bible Church(Formerly Faith Baptist Church)
- Hillcrest Mennonite Church
- Holy Family Catholic Church
- Living Water Community Christian Fellowship - Mennonite(Link will play automatic music)
- New Hamburg Christian Centre
- New Hamburg Conservative Mennonite Church
- Nith Valley Mennonite Church
- St. George's Anglican Church
- St. Peter's Lutheran Church
- Steinmann Mennonite Church Between New Hamburg and Baden (Link will play automatic music)
- Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church
- Zion United Church
- Ontario Drive and Gear, manufacturers of the Argo amphibious all-terrain vehicle is located here. In addition, the plant also supplies gears and transmissions to several world-class companies such as Volvo, Tigercat, and Raymond Industrial.
- New Hamburg is home to the Oak Grove Cheese company, founded in 1879, one of the few remaining North American producers of Limburger cheese.
- Ten Thousand Villages's distribution warehouse for all of Canada is also located in New Hamburg.
- BW Feed and Seed is located in the local Mill. It was around this mill, and the connecting damn/waterwheel, that New Hamburg was built.
- Is This Chair Taken - Gift Shop and Small Furnishings
- Focus Computers Inc.- general computer acessories, basic repairs
- Soul Mates Candles
- Riverside Flowers and Gift Studio
- All Flowers and Charm
- Town Pantry - Health Food (Bulk Options) and Products
- Heritage Pet and Garden - Pet and Garden Supplies
- Sight and Sound Studios
- Heart and Home Creations - Sewing and quilting supplies, Decor, Quilting classes
- Murray's Clothing and Footwear
Some independent restaurants in New Hamburg:
- New Hamburg Independent website
- New Hamburg Board of Trade website
- New Hamburg Fall Fair website
- The New Hamburg Library - a branch of the Region of Waterloo Library
- New Hamburg at Geographical Names of Canada
- No, Author Stated (Dec 30 2010). "Howie Meeker proud of Order of Canada honour". The Record. Retrieved Sept 21 2013.