New Haven Township, Huron County, Ohio
|New Haven Township, Ohio|
|Motto: "First Township in Huron County Ohio"|
Location of New Haven Township (red) in Huron County, next to the city of Willard (yellow).
|• Total||23.5 sq mi (60.7 km2)|
|• Land||23.1 sq mi (60.0 km2)|
|• Water||0.3 sq mi (0.8 km2)|
|Elevation||948 ft (289 m)|
|• Density||123.5/sq mi (47.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086350|
New Haven Township is one of the nineteen townships of Huron County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 2,860 people in the township, 2,011 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located on the southern edge of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Greenfield Township - north
- Fairfield Township - northeast corner
- Ripley Township - east
- Cass Township, Richland County - southeast
- Plymouth Township, Richland County - south
- Auburn Township, Crawford County - southwest
- Richmond Township - west
- Norwich Township - northwest corner
Several populated places are located in New Haven Township:
- Part of the city of Willard, in the northwest
- Part of the village of Plymouth, in the south
- The unincorporated community of Celeryville, on the border with Richmond Township in the northwest
- The unincorporated community of New Haven, in the center
Name and history
It is the only New Haven Township statewide.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Huron County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.