New Islington Metrolink station
New Islington Metrolink station, in February 2013
Location of New Islington in Greater Manchester
|Fare zone information|
|Metrolink Zone||D (City)|
|Present status||In operation|
|Opened||8 February 2013 (preview)
11 February 2013 (full)
|UK Trams portal|
New Islington Metrolink station is a tram stop on the East Manchester Line (EML) of Greater Manchester's light-rail Metrolink system. The station opened on 11 February 2013, after a three-day free trial for local residents. The station was constructed as part of Phase 3a of the Metrolink's expansion, and is located in the New Islington area of Manchester, England. It was originally proposed to open with the name Pollard Street, being located at the junction Munday Street and Pollard Street.
Trams run along the East Manchester line westbound towards Manchester Piccadilly station before continuing through the city centre towards Bury, whilst eastbound trams run to Ashton-under-Lyne. Trams run every 12 minutes at peak times; at off-peak times, the service is reduced to every 15 minutes.
Connecting bus routes
New Islington is not directly served by a bus service, with the nearest bus stops located on Great Ancoats Street, which is served by Stagecoach Manchester service 216, which replicates the Metrolink service to Droylsden before continuing to Ashton-under-Lyne, and Stagecoach service 231, which runs to Ashton via Littlemoss and Smallshaw. Both services run to nearby Piccadilly Gardens in Manchester.
- "It's the final countdown". Transport for Greater Manchester. 1 February 2013. Retrieved 7 February 2013.
- Kirby, Dean (4 December 2012). "Opening of Metrolink tram service to Droylsden delayed until February 2013". Retrieved 7 December 2012.
- "Droylsden’s new Metrolink line to open in February". Transport for Greater Manchester. 7 December 2012. Retrieved 7 December 2012.
- "Metrolink - New Islington station". Transport for Greater Manchester. Retrieved 26 June 2011.
- "Metrolink - East Manchester line". Transport for Greater Manchester. Retrieved 19 May 2013.
- "Metrolink Pocket Guide Droylsden". Metrolink. Retrieved 11 February 2013.
- "Metrolink - Tram Times - New Islington". Metrolink. Retrieved 13 February 2013.
- "Transport for Greater Manchester - Journey Planning - Network Maps". Transport for Greater Manchester. Retrieved 13 February 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to New Islington Metrolink station.|
|Preceding station||Manchester Metrolink||Following station|
|Eccles – Ashton-under-Lyne Line||
|Bury – Ashton-under-Lyne Line||
|This article on a railway station in Greater Manchester is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This United Kingdom rapid transit article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|