New Kid in Town
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2014)|
|"New Kid in Town"|
|Single by Eagles|
|from the album Hotel California|
|B-side||"Victim Of Love"|
|Released||December 7, 1976|
|Genre||Rock, soft rock|
|Length||5:04 (Album Version); 4:49 (Single Version)|
|Writer(s)||Don Henley, Glenn Frey, J.D. Souther|
|Eagles singles chronology|
"New Kid in Town", written by Don Henley, Glenn Frey and J.D. Souther, is a song by the Eagles, from their 1976 album Hotel California. Released as the first single from the album, the song became a No. 1 hit in the USA, and No. 20 in the UK. The single version has an earlier fade-out than the album version. On 26 February 1977, it reached the Billboard No. 1. The song features Glenn Frey singing the lead vocals, with Don Henley singing main harmony vocals. Randy Meisner plays the guitarrón mexicano, and Joe Walsh plays the electric piano and organ parts.
In the liner notes of The Very Best Of, Don Henley talked about the song's meaning:
|“||It's about the fleeting, fickle nature of love and romance. It's also about the fleeting nature of fame, especially in the music business. We were basically saying, 'Look, we know we're red hot right now but we also know that somebody's going to come along and replace us — both in music and in love.'||”|
- Glenn Frey: Lead vocals, acoustic guitar
- Don Henley: Drums, percussion, backing vocals
- Don Felder: Lead guitar
- Joe Walsh: Electric piano, organ
- Randy Meisner: Guitarrone, backing vocals
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||1|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Adult Contemporary Tracks||2|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Country Singles||43|
|Canadian RPM Top Singles||1|
|Canadian RPM Adult Contemporary Tracks||2|
|Canadian RPM Country Tracks||12|
|U.K. Singles Chart||20|
|Netherlands Top 40||9|
- United States country singer Trisha Yearwood covered the song on the 1993 album Common Thread: The Songs of the Eagles.
- Swedish pop and country singer Kikki Danielsson covered the song on her 2006 album I dag & i morgon.
- Finnish group Cumulus covered the song in 1977 with the Swedish title "En främling i stan" (A stranger in town)
- "Liner Notes - Hotel California (The Eagles)". Glennfreyonline.com. Retrieved 2014-05-24.
- The Very Best Of (CD). Eagles. Warner Music Group. 2003. R2 73971.
"Blinded by the Light" by Manfred Mann's Earth Band
|Billboard Hot 100 number one single
February 26, 1977
"Evergreen (Love Theme from A Star Is Born)" by Barbra Streisand