New Look (company)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2008)|
|Headquarters||Weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom|
|Number of locations||1,110 approx. (2013)|
|Area served||United Kingdom
United Arab Emirates
|Key people||Anders Kristiansen, Chief Executive|
|Revenue||GBP £1,147 Billion (2008)|
|Operating income||£179 million (2008)|
New Look is a British global fashion retailer with a chain of high street shops in the UK, Belgium, France, the Netherlands, the Republic of Ireland, Romania, Malta, Singapore, Thailand, Indonesia, United Arab Emirates, Azerbaijan and Poland.
New Look was founded by Tom Singh . Since then the company has rapidly expanded and now operates across a chain of over 1,000 stores internationally and a staff of over 30,000. The group had a turn over of £1,147 million in y/e 2008 with profits of £180 million.
In 2008, New Look continued its expansion in the GBE and opened its largest store till then in Chicago One Shopping Centre. In February 2009, its 40th anniversary year, it opened its first store in Russia.
In July 2010, New Look opened its 3hunna flagship store in Glasgow Fort Shopping Park. The store is a massive 18,000 sq ft (1,700 m2). It was built on the site of a former Borders store.
In 2004, after six years afloat, the company withdrew from the stock market and was taken back to being a privately owned business by founder Tom Singh and chief executive Phil Wrigley, and private equity investors Permira, Apax Partners and Quillian Investments.
On 26 April 2007, a fire occurred at a New Look branch in Oxford Street, London. The subsequent investigation revealed an extensive catalogue of failings relating to fire safety precautions and measures. The company subsequently pleaded guilty to criminal charges and on 25 November 2009, was fined a total of £400,000 with £136,052 costs.
In 2010, the fines were upheld by the Court of Appeal.
In 2007 New Look launched its first advertising campaign for three years. The same year it used online advertising for the first time and launched its transactional website, which went live in December 2007 and currently carries womenswear, menswear, Generation 915 for teens, kids, footwear, accessories, lingerie, maternity, tall, petite and Inspire (sizes 18–26).
New Look store inside the Merrywalks shopping precinct, Stroud, Gloucestershire
- Top Track 100 — list of 100 largest private companies, New look is at no 32.
- Sunday Times, 29 June 2008.
- "New Look - Our Company". Newlookgroup.com. Retrieved 2013-10-13.
- Sunday Times Top Track 100, 29 June 2008.
- "Home". New Look. Retrieved 2013-10-13.
- "Press Release - Biggest New Look Store Launches in Dublin". 24-7pressrelease.com. 2010-11-05. Retrieved 2013-10-13.
- "UK high-street firm New Look fined for serious breaches of fire safety | Fire News". TheBigRedGuide. Retrieved 2013-10-13.
- "New Look Retailers Ltd v London Fire & Emergency Planning Authority  EWCA Crim 1268 (16 June 2010)". Bailii.org. Retrieved 2013-10-13.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to New Look (retailer).|
- News items