College of Mass Communication & Media Arts
||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (July 2008)|
||This article's tone or style may not reflect the encyclopedic tone used on Wikipedia. (July 2008)|
Departments and Programs
The College of Mass Communication and Media Arts (CMCMA) is located on the campus of Southern Illinois University Carbondale and was established in 1993. The CMCMA has three programs of undergraduate study including the Department of Cinema & Photography, the Department of Radio-Television, and the School of Journalism. The Department of Cinema & Photography and Radio-Television award a Bachelor of Arts degree and the School of Journalism awards a Bachelor of Science degree.
WSIU Public Broadcasting, an NPR affiliate, is also housed within the CMCMA.
MCMA is also home to The Daily Egyptian, a student-run newspaper published five times a week on printing presses located within the School of Journalism. Other student-run productions include alt.news 26:46, which is a magazine-style news show, Studio A, which showcases various bands, and the River Region Evening Edition, which all air on the CMCMA's PBS affiliate, WSIU.
The College has production facilities which include two television studios, a sound stage, audio and video post production labs, the Norm Pattiz Audio Lab, and the New Media Center.
Global Media Research Center
The Global Media Research Center (GMRC) functions as the branch of CMCMA dealing with global media communication studies and arts and was founded in 2004 by Professor John DH Downing. Within the CMCMA, its faculty comprises social scientists, critical theorists, and arts practitioners whose work encourages thoughtful reflection and action on the centrality of global media in contemporary societies. The Center is also the institutional extension for the greater SIUC faculty whose interests in globally focused research and creative practice are enriched by the Center's interdisciplinary focus.
•maintains dialogue among researchers, artists, activists, and media industry professionals on global communication issues
•creates a site for rich intellectual exchange among faculty, graduate and undergraduate students
•supports cutting-edge research and discussion of all aspects of global media studies and arts
•collaborates inside SIUC and externally with other institutions and individuals
The GMRC is unique in advancing work through:
•various research and performance approaches
•a wide range of media sites and forms
•the study of phenomena that are central to global life
Big Muddy Film Festival
The Big Muddy Film Festival was first held at SIUC in the Spring of 1979 and continues to be held annually at the University. It has about 150- 300 entries per year that come from all 50 states as well as many international entries. It creates community engagement and fosters international communication about cinema as an art form.
- William P. Livek, CEO, Rentrak Corporation
- Donald A. Stork, Former President, Advancers, St. Louis
- Dennis Lyle, President/CEO, Illinois Broadcasters Association
- Arthur Weise, Former Vice President, Corporate Communications, Entergy Corporation
- Craig Sinclair, CEO, The Sinclair Group, Inc.
- Nyhl Henson, CEO, National Lampoon
- Christopher Wilson, President of National Linear Television, Rentrak Corporation
- Judith Roales, former newspaper publisher
- Jim Bittermann, Senior CNN European correspondent based in Paris
- Randy A. Daniels, Vice Chairman, Gilford Securities
- Jackie Spinner, Instructor, Georgetown University
- Liz Ralston, Academy Award winner in the Hollywood film industry's visual effects business
- Robert K. Weiss, major American film and television producer
- Milcho Manchevski, feature film director, whose film "Dust" won the Golden Lion at Venice International Film Festival
- Steve James, independent documentary filmmaker, whose credits include the Oscar-nominated, "Hoop Dreams"
- Dr. Georgette Wang, Chair Professor and former dean, Hong Kong Bapitst University
- Kurt Miche, President and CEO KNPB Channels
- Tom Blomquist, Television Writer-Producer-Director and Associate Professor California State University, Long Beach
- Joe Swanberg, Owner of www.filmbrats.com
- Hilla Medalia, Producer EJH, Productions
- Steven Poster President, International Cinematographers Guild
- James Chressanthis, Director/Cinematographer
- Southern Illinois University at Carbondale
- College of Mass Communication & Media Arts
- College of Mass Communication & Media Arts Graduate Studies
- SIUC Radio & Television Department
- SIUC Department of Cinema & Photography
- SIUC School of Journalism
- New Media Center
- SIUC Daily Student Newspaper
- WSIU Public Broadcasting Service
- Big Muddy Film Festival
- Global Media Research Center