New Mount Pleasant is an unincorporated community in Jefferson Township, Jay County, Indiana.
New Mount Pleasant was founded in 1838. The community was named after a Friends meeting house in Mount Pleasant, Ohio. A post office was established at New Mount Pleasant in 1839, and remained in operation until it was discontinued in 1907.
New Mount Pleasant is located at 40°21′21″N 85°03′54″W / 40.35583°N 85.06500°W.
- ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ "New Mount Pleasant, Indiana". Geographic Names Information System. U.S. Geological Survey. Retrieved 2009-10-17.
- ^ Baker, Ronald L. (October 1995). From Needmore to Prosperity: Hoosier Place Names in Folklore and History. Indiana University Press. p. 239. ISBN 978-0-253-32866-3.
This village was platted in 1838...
- ^ Jay, Milton T. (1922). History of Jay County, Indiana: Including Its World War Record and Incorporating the Montgomery History, Volume 1. Historical Publishing Company. p. 106.
- ^ "Jay County". Jim Forte Postal History. Retrieved 1 November 2014.